4.2L Bogs down in low RPMs + idles high sometimes - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-11-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
mathena2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4.2L Bogs down in low RPMs + idles high sometimes

I need some help. I have a 1990 YJ with the 4.2L and carter carburetor. I inherited this thing after it sat for about 2 years. I've gotten it to be driveable (I'm not much of a mechanic, rely heavily on google and youtube). It runs and will stay idling now. My plan for now is get it running halfway decent and drive it around town and to work on nice days without doors and top. In a couple years I'll upgrade the carburetor, clean up the vacuum lines mess and all that jazz. My dad had 10+ jeeps that I can remember growing up and this was the last one he owned so I plan to keep it and fix it up overtime.

Issue 1: It seems to bog down and miss in low RPMs about 800-1500. When I pull out it stutters and catches up (sometimes squeaking tires if I give it enough gas). Also while in other gears if I give it sharp gas it stutters/misses at first then catches up. Also happens a lot up hills. Again, in the low RPMs. If I'm parked and idling and barely give it gas in the 800-1200 range you can feel it missing/hesitating pretty bad. Also if I turn the key off sometimes it'll sputter and just sounds like it's dying in gear or something before completely turning off.

Issue 2: I replaced the carburetor because idling and other issues. But sometimes it seems to get stuck around 1200 RPMs idling. Sometimes if I give it sharp gas it'll jump up and slowly go back down to normal (about 750). If I just let it sit it does not go down. This happens before and after being warmed up. The plunger looking thing attached to carburetor moves freely in and out on both sides when shut off. I have noticed if I push somewhat on the one side the screw is touching forcing it in it kind of clicks and goes in to lower the idle, sometimes it will not forcibly let me do that though. Maybe the choke is forcing this (not sure)?

I've tried testing the rats nest of vacuum hoses by spraying carb cleaner while running to listen for a change in idle but didn't notice anything. I've read you can hookup a vacuum gauge but I've found no specific video or instructions on how to do this for this model. Like I said, I'm no mechanic and don't understand how a lot of this stuff works. Just been googling and watching youtube videos.

List of things I've replaced related to this:
Plugs
Wires
Distributor and rotor
Ignition coil
EGR valve
Carburetor with a reman from autozone

I appreciate any help, advice, or anything at this point. Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-18-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
mathena2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any ideas?
post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Clancrawley

Bueller? Bueller?

I have an 89 with similar issues and also in similar repair status. We’ve replaced the plugs and wires, but not distributed cap yet. Just replaced the main rear and oil pan gaskets, and converted to an external slave on the tranny. Replaced a few vacuums lines that were broken but not all of them. Right now we’re leaking oil so I’m trying to run that down. We also lifted it 2.5 inches, and put 31” tires so I know that slows us down a bit.

All that said, we bog a little in lower rpms (maybe up to 1100ish rpms) and in 4th and 5th gear. We also have a bit of an issue when I hit big puddles that it sometimes stalls out and won’t restart. I’m blaming that in the distributor, but haven’t nailed it down yet.

So here we are. 2 non mechanics waiting for our white knight go knowledge. I’ll let you know if I find anything as I wander about blindly on YouTube. 🙂.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
http://gleebledorf.com/

Start here. Read it thoroughly and do what it says. Understand everything it has to say. If you cannot. I will take it off your hands for pennies on the dollar because you are in over your head and it will cost you more to figure it out than to give up on it.

Just kidding. great site. should help you tremendously if you have any attention to research and detail.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in