4.0 compatibility - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-21-2021, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Derekwh

1985 CJ7 

4.0 compatibility

I have a '91 Wrangler with a seized 4.0, would a 4.0 from an '03 Grand Cherokee work as a replacement? I would need to keep the '91 smog equipment to pass California smog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-21-2021, 10:24 AM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure that there are some significant differences in the block on the Grand Cherokee motors like the motor mount bracket locations. I think XJ and TJ blocks are going to be more compatible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven". Such is the rule of honor - Omerta
post #3 of 7 Old 06-21-2021, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Derekwh

1985 CJ7 

Thanks

post #4 of 7 Old 06-22-2021, 01:55 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Find a 1991 - 1997 Cherokee 4.0 long block (head and block) in working order. Remove all the accessories like the water pump etc. Install the long block with all your original accessories. FIX whatever cooling issue or other issue(s) you had that seized the block, and you should be good to go.

If you are in So Cal, hit up Inland Jeep for a running long block. Shawn is a good guy there and we have used a few of his motors on projects.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #5 of 7 Old 06-22-2021, 07:08 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
My knowledge is that there is a significant difference in the block where the AC compressor mounts on 4.0L engines and it matters from the Grand cherokee to the others IIRC. Year of the block may factor in. There may be other differences but this is the big one that I know of.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-23-2021, 09:28 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
My knowledge is that there is a significant difference in the block where the AC compressor mounts on 4.0L engines and it matters from the Grand cherokee to the others IIRC. Year of the block may factor in. There may be other differences but this is the big one that I know of.
I have zero experience with this but did they really make a different block casting from the original 4.0 we all know about?

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #7 of 7 Old 06-23-2021, 11:49 AM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

When I was ordering a long block for a 1999 TJ I had to be very specific about the A/C compressor location.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven". Such is the rule of honor - Omerta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in