# 3 injector double pulsing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
WaldosYJ

# 3 injector double pulsing

Here I go, I have delt with this for almost 1 year and have narrowed down my problem to the #3 injector occasionally giving a double pulse (maybe the 6th or 7th time through the order it will do it twice in a row and then be ok for 6 or 7 more rotations and then do it again). just wondering besides the computer what it could be, I will cross my fingers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
WaldosYJ

Any ideas anyone.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Floppy

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I can't help you out but it might be easier for others to help if you fill out your jeep profile information or at least let us know what engine you're talking about.

1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Mustang GT Vert (supercharged)
2004 Lincoln Aviator (daily driver)
2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle (sunroof and 1904cc motor)
1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle (wolfsburg edition)

post #4 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 AM
idaholtby

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Each injector has power supplied all the time and the ecm controls the pulse by supplying a ground signal. I suppose the ground(signal) wire for the injector cold be shorting to ground somewhere. Just how do you know that the #3 injector is doing that? You could try swapping injectors with another cylinder and see if it moves. If not, then you could swap injector wires at the injector and swap the pins accordingly at the ecm connector to see if it moves. If you swap the wiring and injector and the problem remains with the #3 cylinder, then the problem would have to be the ecm.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldosYJ View Post
Here I go, I have delt with this for almost 1 year and have narrowed down my problem to the #3 injector occasionally giving a double pulse (maybe the 6th or 7th time through the order it will do it twice in a row and then be ok for 6 or 7 more rotations and then do it again). just wondering besides the computer what it could be, I will cross my fingers.
How are you testing for this?
post #6 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

you can use a test light
post #7 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 07:24 PM
idaholtby

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato2k5 View Post
you can use a test light
It is not how can you, but rather.. how did he. We are just curious as to how this was determined and even... how is the rig running? Is it running rich that led to this diagnosis?
post #8 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ah yes lol. I would imagine you would feel it under acceleration
post #9 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
WaldosYJ

Thanks guys for the help. 2.5 liter raging 4 banger. The symptoms were a pour idle, would putter like lack of fuel for a second and the idle out. Under acceleration it would feel like a miss but not every time just about 3-4 seconds apart. Checked fuel pressure with and with out regulator all #s were right on so went to the injectors pulled fuel rail and cranked to watch order and spray pattern everything seemed good. Decided to pick up noid light at parts store just to save gas from going allover garage and to check pulse of injector. Noticed on the # 3 injector that every 6-7 time through it would skip #4 and spray the #3 instead, it does this twice in a row and then go back to normal for 6 - 7 more sequences and then happen again. Hope I explained it well. If not just keep asking me questions. Thank again for the help.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Very good suggestion here. I would start with this and than report back with what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Each injector has power supplied all the time and the ecm controls the pulse by supplying a ground signal. I suppose the ground(signal) wire for the injector cold be shorting to ground somewhere. Just how do you know that the #3 injector is doing that? You could try swapping injectors with another cylinder and see if it moves. If not, then you could swap injector wires at the injector and swap the pins accordingly at the ecm connector to see if it moves. If you swap the wiring and injector and the problem remains with the #3 cylinder, then the problem would have to be the ecm.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-21-2009, 05:05 AM
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

In addition to the above suggestion, I would also look at unwrapping the injector harness to check for any insulation cracks, chafed insulation, or any other way you could end up with "cross-talk" between two injector wires. Look real close where the wires for 3 & 4 lie in close proximity & check all the ground connections.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-21-2009, 06:52 AM
dodger889

1989 YJ Wrangler 

One thing to is check the mechanical parts of the timing system. Timing chain play, distributor setting, cam the distributor gear play. If any of the above is bouncy (loose) then it could cause the wrong signal to be seen too.
Plus check the wiring close from the injector all the way to inside the connector for the ECM. The protective hood on the connector at the ECM does come off and the pins for number 3 and 4 injector are side by side.

A 89 yj with a 4.0 aw4 sye out of an 92xj. Now the hard part is done time to get it up in the air just a bit. Working on 8.8 with 3.73 and lsd for the rear. and new D30 hp with 3.73 .
For those who have not figured this out I'm old school but can handle the new too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-21-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
WaldosYJ

I will try everything an report back thanks to all.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-21-2009, 12:40 PM
HHippo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

After post #9 post #11 seems the most likely answer, might want to undo the ECM connector and check for moisture or corrosion to rule this out first.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
WaldosYJ

sorry this took so long was away getting hitched. back to everyday life and working on my jeep the more enjoyable part of the day. Checked Harness for moisture dry as a whistle, no crud build up. Traced #3 and #4 injector wires found no breaks or wear anywhere even close at the harness. Checked Continuity for #3 and #4 wires all carry current and could not get any cross talk between wires so no breaks that i couldnt see. Ok timming or ecu? the only question that leads me towards the ecu is that if the timming chain is streached and messing with the injector pulse wouldnt it still fire on #4? when it messes up it fires 1-3-3-2-1-3-3-2 then goes back to 1-3-4-2-1-3-4-2. Just checking befor i go tearing into fan shroud fan ect. just to check something that i could have negated from the begining? Thanks again for all the help, this is the best forum with the greatest people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in