2000 Cherokee engine in my YJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 Old 11-13-2018, 12:15 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

When it comes to Jeeps, things do get swapped in and out so always take that knowledge when looking at any of them. But note that ALL manufactures of US automobiles change over production to the new model year in July. The factory workers get a week or two off while the factories are retooled for the new version. So from August on, the rest are the following years model so January would be a 2000. Now there will be exceptions occasionally like when Pontiac closed in 2009 and they still had Pontiac Vibes still sitting waiting to be assembled so they built them and those are the ONLY 2010 Pontiacs even though they are actually left over 2009 models. Some times they will introduce a totally new model in mid year or something and it will be the next years model regardless of build date. But the days of the "new models" coming to a showroom near you in January went out decades ago so don't use that as a guide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

swap all the crap off your knocking long block onto that other long block, including replacing the OPDA with a distributor and it will work fine. Ask me how I know.
NHfireLJ and boduke5051 like this.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #18 of 33 Old 11-13-2018, 02:12 PM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting. Definitely worth a look at the casting number.

So how were the coils attached?

Also, I didn't answer this question:
Quote:
I get that the coil pack indicates a 2000 engine but thought that maybe the production date might make it a 1999 with the coil packs put on instead of the distributor for the early start of the 2000 model year and use up left over 1999 engines...
Generally something like this requires a *bunch* of time and expense. You and I can just build a bracket and call it good. The OEM needs to design brackets then test to ensure they don't create problems, they need to document the part year changes in both service information and parts information as well as with legal department. They need to assign individuals or teams to assemble the modified engines in large enough capacity so the assembly line can have a steady supply. When you think about how big a little change can be at the OEM level it's much less likely to happen than somebody deciding they wanted a different head on their engine and just swapping it out.

Last edited by 1project2many; 11-13-2018 at 02:28 PM.

post #19 of 33 Old 11-13-2018, 02:18 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
swap and it will work fine I know.
!.!.!.!.!

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #20 of 33 Old 11-13-2018, 02:30 PM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
But note that ALL manufactures of US automobiles change over production to the new model year in July.
It's the exceptions that end up causing problems, though.

I agree with swapping parts and driving away happy.
post #21 of 33 Old 11-13-2018, 03:50 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

If you try to keep the coils youre gonna have a bad time. TDC cylinder 1 and stab your known working distributor and it will run fine. Same gear on OPDA as Distributor. Just make sure you reuse all your intake and exhausr manifolds, thenostat housing, and serpentine system. That way, the harness is plug and play.

I agree with swapping parts and driving away happy.[/QUOTE]

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017

post #22 of 33 Old 11-13-2018, 05:39 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

When model year 2000 XJ Cherokee production began, the pre-planned distributor-less ignition and 0331 heads were installed. There were no other major changes to the OBD-II engines from previous years. TJ Wranglers also changed over to distributor-less ignition for the 2000 model year. The 0331 head was designed with threaded mounts for the coil rail.

XJ owners that have swapped in older 7120 or 0630 heads usually fab little brackets for the coil rail and hang them on the valve cover bolts.

Look for the 4 digit head casting number inside the white circle.

Attached Thumbnails
head.jpg  

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #23 of 33 Old 11-14-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
When model year 2000 XJ Cherokee production began, the pre-planned distributor-less ignition and 0331 heads were installed. There were no other major changes to the OBD-II engines from previous years. TJ Wranglers also changed over to distributor-less ignition for the 2000 model year. The 0331 head was designed with threaded mounts for the coil rail.

XJ owners that have swapped in older 7120 or 0630 heads usually fab little brackets for the coil rail and hang them on the valve cover bolts.

Look for the 4 digit head casting number inside the white circle.

# reads 0630 The coil packs were/are just pushed onto the plugs no boses or home made brackets

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina
post #24 of 33 Old 11-14-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
swap all the crap off your knocking long block onto that other long block, including replacing the OPDA with a distributor and it will work fine. Ask me how I know.
I'm guessing you must have done the job before?

post #25 of 33 Old 11-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyDog1 View Post
I'm guessing you must have done the job before?
Here is the Coil Pack newer block before with OPDA and after with Distributor. Alls you have to do is transfer all of your existing external engine parts to the new long block and you win.
Attached Thumbnails
Coil Pack Engine with Distributor.jpg   20180202_195259.jpg  

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017

post #26 of 33 Old 11-16-2018, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
So how were the coils attached?.
They were just pushed on the plugs. They fell off when it rolled over

post #27 of 33 Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
WallyDog1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help! I'm in the process of doing the swap. Thanks to you guys I'm feeling way more confident than I was just guessing it was going to work!
Thanks!
Luuca likes this.

post #28 of 33 Old 11-23-2018, 09:28 PM
Magnum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

One other thing you might want to swap: the oil filter mount. Your new block has a 90 degree adapter that the YJ does not have. I removed the adapter when I swapped in an engine from a 97 Grand Cherokee, because I think I make less mess changing the oil with the original filter orientation. As I recall, the adapter is pinned in place, so it is easier to deal with while the engine is on a stand, rather than after it is in your Jeep.
-- Magnum

94 YJ, 4.0, 5-Spd, 33x12.5 GY Duratrac, RE 2.5" Lift
Brown Dog Mounts, 8.8 w/ disks, TrueTrac f & r
post #29 of 33 Old 11-24-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
WallyDog1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
One other thing you might want to swap: the oil filter mount. Your new block has a 90 degree adapter that the YJ does not have. I removed the adapter when I swapped in an engine from a 97 Grand Cherokee, because I think I make less mess changing the oil with the original filter orientation. As I recall, the adapter is pinned in place, so it is easier to deal with while the engine is on a stand, rather than after it is in your Jeep.
-- Magnum
I have not gotten that far yet but was going to look into changing it to the YJ set-up. What do you mean pinned?

post #30 of 33 Old 11-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Magnum
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What do you mean pinned?
There is a roll pin that keeps the adapter from rotating. That roll pin has to be pulled out. Search the XJ forum for "eliminating oil filter adapter". Here is a link to one thread.

LINK

-- Magnum

94 YJ, 4.0, 5-Spd, 33x12.5 GY Duratrac, RE 2.5" Lift
Brown Dog Mounts, 8.8 w/ disks, TrueTrac f & r

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in