1994 YJ soft top mounting hardware - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-13-2020, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
JustPlaneJackie

1994 YJ soft top mounting hardware

Hi!
Iíve just got his YJ that came with a factory hard top mounted up, and a factory soft top without mounting hardware. The Jeep has full hard doors. I searched the forum for this exact question because it has to be common, but I didnít see it anywhere. Whatís the best mounting hardware to buy for it with full hard doors?
I see rampage has kit 69999 but that seems to be for half doors?

It says ďwindow door frames sold separatelyĒ but I canít find a kit of theirs for that. Are those vertical AND horizontal pieces for the doors? Everyoneís kit seems to just be for half doors

When itís said to be a ďcomplete bow assemblyĒ thatís a whole kit? Not just a bow kit?

Is the bestop one 5500401 including everything I need then?
Iíd include pictures and links but Iím too new apparently so I canít yet...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-13-2020, 11:09 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need some pictures of your setup.

There are multiple variants and we will not know where to direct you without knowing some details of the soft top you own.

In my photo below, you'll see the rounded contour bar that goes rounded and accommodates the hard door contours (bestop supertop YJ). Are their draw latches installed at the top inside of your windshield frame or not?

The part number you posted is also for the YJ style half doors with soft upper (right angle corners).

We need photos of whatever tub rails you have as well, whether there is a slide track associated with it or not.

Does your top have button snaps at all?
Attached Images

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 20 Old 05-14-2020, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
JustPlaneJackie

Hi thanks for the response! I sure appreciate the help.
Ya like I said I can’t post pictures on here yet until I have more posts or something it says.
It is a factory OEM soft top from 1994
There aren’t any of the draw latches like you say on the windshield frame.
Ya the 69999 is for the half doors, so I’m wondering what else I need for full metal doors or if that’s just not a good kit to start with for me possibly.
My tub has zero anything mounted to it, literally just the painted body with the bolt holes for the hard top and previous mounting hardware for the stock soft top. I’d provide photos but again, soon!
And my soft top does have snaps along the center bow. That’s it for snaps though, none about the side windows. Just Velcro there.
I guess it comes down to
-what is the best factory soft top replacement hardware kit for full hard doors for a 1994 YJ-

post #4 of 20 Old 05-14-2020, 10:30 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneJackie View Post
Hi thanks for the response! I sure appreciate the help.
Ya like I said I can’t post pictures on here yet until I have more posts or something it says.
It is a factory OEM soft top from 1994
There aren’t any of the draw latches like you say on the windshield frame.
Ya the 69999 is for the half doors, so I’m wondering what else I need for full metal doors or if that’s just not a good kit to start with for me possibly.
My tub has zero anything mounted to it, literally just the painted body with the bolt holes for the hard top and previous mounting hardware for the stock soft top. I’d provide photos but again, soon!
And my soft top doesn’t have snaps, it just has the slide in pieces for the front windshield, and the side window bottoms. And then zippers for all the pieces.
I guess it comes down to
-what is the best factory soft top replacement hardware kit for full hard doors for a 1994 YJ-
1. As for photos, you could simply sign up for a free photo hosting site (I like imgur.com) up load them there then paste in the direct image links to your message bodies.

2. I dont know what a 1994 OEM top looks like. If it accommodates rounded or right angle upper doors. The top I got with my jeep when I bought it was a bestop sunrider. Its frame assembly and cloth cut accommodated full (rounded doors).
The supertop by bestop also has a version which accommodates rounded full doors.

Just want to make sure you have laid out the top and analyzed it well to ensure all you need is the bow assembly and tub rails to make it work.

If there are no snaps along where it would line up with the top of the doors, does it have velcro stitched in? If the latter is true, yes... you will just need a bestop supertop bow assembly for the YJ and tub rails

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #5 of 20 Old 05-15-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
JustPlaneJackie

ok good to know! Ya there is velcro on the soft top along the top of the doors. I'll PM you here
post #6 of 20 Old 05-15-2020, 10:56 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

With the velcro, yes your top will accommodate the rounded hard doors.

Bestop supertop bow assembly and the associated tub rails are all ya require.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #7 of 20 Old 05-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

imgbb.com is a free image hosting site that doesn't require a sign-up. Very easy to use.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-15-2020, 12:07 PM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I just pulled my hard top.
Besides the bow you will need the tracks that go on the tub and across the windshield frame. That and two little connection brackets that go between the roll cage and the windshield for connecting the over door stretcher.
When I first got my soft top used besttop off Craig's list it didn't have the brackets but the windshield one came with a bikini I had. In the picture all the hardware is wrapped in plastic on the left.
There should be a couple of velcro strips on the top. One over each door to stick the weather strip piece that goes over the bow / windshield stretcher, The other is right behind the first and it keeps the top of the side panel from flopping.
Before I got the soft doors (also Craig's list) I used my hard doors and they worked fine with the soft top.
Great hint. Do what I did and let the top sit out in the sun and warm up before putting it on. It will soften up and make life MUCH easier.

Note, Don't laugh at the winch. It's for pulling branches out of trees , not Jeeps out of ditches
Attached Thumbnails
20200503_104017.jpg  
post #9 of 20 Old 05-15-2020, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
JustPlaneJackie

ok awesome, thanks to all you guys. I'm ordering the bestop hardware right now
post #10 of 20 Old 06-06-2020, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
JustPlaneJackie

Ok so I got the bestop full mount kit #5500401 and it doesn’t work for hard doors or my top that has Velcro. The above driver window spot receives snaps and my top has Velcro and the upright part behind the driver side window is a different shape than what my top is. I think it might be a bestop supertop and I probably need this mount kit from bestop. I just can’t find it anywhere to buy. Is it way out of current?
https://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/g...p-hardware.jpg

Last edited by JustPlaneJackie; 06-06-2020 at 08:06 AM.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-06-2020, 08:21 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is the one I initially posted.

It is for certain still on the market. Keep looking

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #12 of 20 Old 06-06-2020, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
JustPlaneJackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
That is the one I initially posted.

It is for certain still on the market. Keep looking
Oh man youíre absolutely right, you posted that specifically about the supertop kit. Now that I see the figment you were bang on!

Still looking for that dang supertop kit, thanks So much for your help
post #13 of 20 Old 06-06-2020, 06:16 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my jeep used in 1996 and it was a 'both tops' version from the factory, soft and hard. I was fortunate enough to get all the original soft top hardware (now long gone). I know for sure that the OEM Jeep 1994 soft top framework is not the same as Bestop or any other vendor, and in just looking, I could not find an original OEM style hardware kit out there that is designed for hard doors (round corners). Unless you can find that 25 yr old hardware, you may be stuck buying a Bestop Supertop full kit ($$$$) designed for hard doors.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-07-2020, 01:33 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If that is the case...

bestop sunrider.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #15 of 20 Old 06-08-2020, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
JustPlaneJackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I bought my jeep used in 1996 and it was a 'both tops' version from the factory, soft and hard. I was fortunate enough to get all the original soft top hardware (now long gone). I know for sure that the OEM Jeep 1994 soft top framework is not the same as Bestop or any other vendor, and in just looking, I could not find an original OEM style hardware kit out there that is designed for hard doors (round corners). Unless you can find that 25 yr old hardware, you may be stuck buying a Bestop Supertop full kit ($$$$) designed for hard doors.
Ok that sounds like possibly my situation. Because just looking at that picture of the Bestop supertop hardware kit and it says “no snaps Along center bow” however I have snaps there. My top also has no logos or labels anywhere, it’s gotta be factory.
I think I’m going to fabricate up the bar overhead the doors and another rounded upright bar for the side. My top came with a single upright curved bar that I can duplicate, and my fam has a metal manufacturing shop that we can create something in. Good NIGHT this is tricky business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in