1994 YJ Help!!! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbolty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-24-2021, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
amhilder

1994 YJ Help!!!

Hey all!! I have a 94 YJ that I just picked up from the mechanic. The reason I took it in was for a bad ignition coil. Had the mechanic replace the coil and the jeep started. Then I made the mistake of letting them replace plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and a some of the vacuum lines and the #3 fuel injector. The jeep was firing on all 4 cylinders before I gave it to them to replace the coil. Where should I start?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-24-2021, 06:39 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What exactly is happening now?

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
amhilder

It’s running really rough sputtering. I’m definitely not running on all 4 cylinders. Do you think I should start with the rotator and distributor or start from the beginning? They replaced the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. Plus the fuel injector in cylinder #3. I made them keep all the old parts because it hasn’t been that long since I put new plugs, wires, distributor and rotor. The old parts still look brand new!!! I’m pretty sure they just got me for my money and made it worse off than it was originally. The only thing that was initially wrong was the ignition coil.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 09:43 AM
93YJ4FUN
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What does the shop have to say about it running like that after they "fixed" it? Might be something simple like a vacuum leak. They should stand behind their work.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
amhilder

I agree!!! They just want to keep bleeding money out of me though. I don’t trust them to fix their mistake.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 10:18 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
So you left the shop with it acting like that? Or did that occur after you got home?
post #7 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
amhilder

Yeah I left like that. They were trying to bleed more money out of me and I was worried that they would just cause more problems. Maybe wasn’t the right thing to do but here I am….
post #8 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 02:12 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhilder View Post
Yeah I left like that. They were trying to bleed more money out of me and I was worried that they would just cause more problems. Maybe wasn’t the right thing to do but here I am….
There are far too many "mechanics" who are quick to take advantage of people. We can't assume they are in the wrong yet but leaving was the right move. Later on if it's determined they screwed up maybe give them a chance to make it right and if not blast the internet; but only if it's true, not just out of frustration.

All the stuff you are talking about can be handled with a few basic tools. What is your skill level? Do you have any tools or anyone who can help? I would start with checking all the wire connections but that's easier if it does not require explaining what and where it all is.
Luuca likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #9 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
There are far too many "mechanics" who are quick to take advantage of people. We can't assume they are in the wrong yet but leaving was the right move. Later on if it's determined they screwed up maybe give them a chance to make it right and if not blast the internet; but only if it's true, not just out of frustration.

All the stuff you are talking about can be handled with a few basic tools. What is your skill level? Do you have any tools or anyone who can help? I would start with checking all the wire connections but that's easier if it does not require explaining what and where it all is.
As @jbolty said, we are here to help, but nothing I can do with such a broad statement as "running rough".

Where are you located? It may be we have a member close by. That, or you can give us a concise sequence of events like:

1. Jeep ran well.
2. Started missing. I identified cylinder 3 was missing. I determined the fuel injector was bad by listening to it while the jeep ran through a mechanics stethoscope. I confirmed it was getting signal to fire by using a noid light.

etc. You get the picture.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #10 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 03:00 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
While the guys gear up to help, might as well verify the work they did.

Check the firing order for the wires. Remove the cap and check the rotor installation. Check the vacuum lines. Remove and verify the plugs are not broken or the electrodes mashed.
It's also possible that trash got into the fuel line, or that a sensor wire was knocked off or broken. You might also consider re-installing your wires and plugs as an option.

All of that you can do immediately before you start hunting a new gremlin.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
amhilder

Jeep was running well. Never had a problem with misfiring. Drove it to work. Ran great!! Worked my shift came back to the jeep and it wouldn’t start. It was turning over fine. Thought it might be a fuel issue so I checked if it was getting fuel. Determined that was not the issue. Had it towed and told the mechanic to check the ignition coil and the crank sensor. Mechanic determined that it was the coil. Told me that the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires looked bad. I told them to replace those parts even though I had just done it about 12 months ago. I told them to keep those parts so I could look at the condition. They all still looked brand new!!! Then they called me and then said that some of the vacuum hoses looked bad so I told them to replace those. Then they called back and said that my fuel injector in cylinder 3 was bad and replaced that. After that I told them to stop.. now I’m stuck still running on 3 cylinders. Never had a problem like that before all of this. I have basic tools and an ok knowledge. Could probably do this myself if I know where to start!!
post #12 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
amhilder

These are the old parts that I made them keep. They still look new to me!! The rest of the plug wires look the same. No kinks or cuts
Attached Thumbnails
F0885478-4926-4D86-BD69-2251FF8D650A_1624655302757.jpg   D195AACE-4935-4E88-A519-AAC566F53FBA_1624655317207.jpg   215BA212-9699-4372-964F-B830F303B69D_1624655334637.jpg   CFB8ECB5-E5AB-46CE-A2A8-ECFF776EB13D_1624655351155.jpg  
post #13 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 05:16 PM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It's probably too early for wild guesses but maybe the new injector is DOA. try disconnecting #3 and see if it changes the running condition.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #14 of 14 Old 06-25-2021, 05:19 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I suggested checking the parts they installed. Plugs and wires can be defective out-of-the-box. They can also be broken on install and it may not be apparent. You can pull one wire at a time until you find the rough cylinder, and replace that wire with one of your originals to check. If the cylinder still misfires...pull the plug; inspect; replace with the old, good plug.

This is easy, fast, and free to do, and other than a broken wire or sensor, one of the most common things that goes wrong with poor mechanics and shops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in