• 1 Post By mikewiz38

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
1994 Radio question

Hi all,
It's been awhile since I've worked on my Jeep but decided to finally put in a radio. PO had the Jeep stolen and radio and other things removed from it long ago. I bought a used marine radio (Sony dsx M50BT) and speakers for the waterproofing/resistance. I used new wires for my speakers and haven't used anything from the OEM harness...yet

I'm about done wiring it but the new marine unit wants a 12v+ from the ignition when it's in the accessory position. Is there a wire from the OEM harness that has this?

Worst case I can tie it into my fan switch, so when i flip that to have the electric fan and USB turn on, I'll have that go to the radio. Though it'd be nice to have the radio on without having to have my fan on, or to add another switch only for the radio.

Then i just need a constant 12V and the ground to use but I'll tie that into those lines I am using for my 2x 12V cigarette lighters (they are on 12ga lines). Though I am not sure if I need something isolated when wiring speakers/radio, first time I've wired in speakers, I just don't want interference or static.

Your help/advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 06:23 AM
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like the OEM harness is still there. I'd look into getting an aftermarket OEM to aftermarket wiring harness for the radio, just so you don't have to cut the wires and can easily identify them. If you don't want to go the aftermarket route, there's a wiring diagram attached. I've just used the speaker connections on it and they were right, but I would use a multimeter to make sure that the ACC/Ignition wire is 12v (which is the red wire). Then, according to the diagram, the pink wire is the constant 12v. For the ground, I would just use a frame ground. I believe that's a bolt on the firewall....or I know there's a little bracket that has a spot for a spade connector to sit on that's about upper-right of the gas pedal.

But again, make sure you use the multimeter to make sure the wires are constant 12v and acc/ign 12v!

EDIT: Oh, and for tying into the cigarette lights. I wouldn't do it, but it's just me. They may be on a different circuit, and definitely a different ground. I would think you would have a higher probability for alternator whine if you tie into the lighter power and ground.
Attached Thumbnails
wiring-diagram.jpg  
Que89YJ likes this.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed

Last edited by mikewiz38; 07-22-2019 at 06:25 AM. Reason: added cigarette lighter paragraph.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewiz38 View Post
It sounds like the OEM harness is still there. I'd look into getting an aftermarket OEM to aftermarket wiring harness for the radio, just so you don't have to cut the wires and can easily identify them. If you don't want to go the aftermarket route, there's a wiring diagram attached. I've just used the speaker connections on it and they were right, but I would use a multimeter to make sure that the ACC/Ignition wire is 12v (which is the red wire). Then, according to the diagram, the pink wire is the constant 12v. For the ground, I would just use a frame ground. I believe that's a bolt on the firewall....or I know there's a little bracket that has a spot for a spade connector to sit on that's about upper-right of the gas pedal.

But again, make sure you use the multimeter to make sure the wires are constant 12v and acc/ign 12v!

EDIT: Oh, and for tying into the cigarette lights. I wouldn't do it, but it's just me. They may be on a different circuit, and definitely a different ground. I would think you would have a higher probability for alternator whine if you tie into the lighter power and ground.

Thanks Mike! That's exactly what I was looking for.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Alright Question part 2.

I used a multimeter to test the ACC voltage and it's 3.5v when on ACC, when the Jeep is on it's 4.1 volts. This seems low, I was expecting 12V. Nothing else was on (no headlights, dash illumination, etc.). Turning those on and off didn't alter the voltage.

I doubt the ACC from the stock radio harness supposed to be that low voltage? If I use the wiring off of a a nearby switch I put in it's at a solid 12.1V. So any idea what may be up with my stock wiring harness ACC voltage?

Edit:
Temporarily using alligator clips instead of soldering. Radio won't turn on off the ACC wiring from the stock radio harness since the voltage is too low. Currently running it off splice from my electric fan switch.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 05:28 AM
mudbug85603

You're making this much harder on yourself than it needs to be. Just go buy a couple of fuse taps https://www.amazon.com/Pixnor-Circui...34676336&psc=1. Connect one to the yellow wire in the aftermarket radio harness this will be constant hot, one to the red wire in the aftermarket radio harness this will be switched hot. Go to the fuse block under the dash use courtesy light fuse as the constant and any other fuse that's switched.

'98 TJ 5sp Super 35 D30 w/Aussie 5.13 on 33's
'94 YJ 5sp 4.88 D35/HP30 sitting on 33's
post #6 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 06:31 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

x2 with mudbug. Also check your radio fuse for the switched ignition feed.

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #7 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 12:47 PM
adiubald
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My '91 actually has a spot labeled "Radio" in the fuse box. It's half a fuse position and takes a push in style clip. It's 12v only when the ACC or Ignition is on.

Have one also labeled "clock" - nothing connected to that one- may be why my clock doesnt keep time with the car off.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiubald View Post
My '91 actually has a spot labeled "Radio" in the fuse box. It's half a fuse position and takes a push in style clip. It's 12v only when the ACC or Ignition is on.

Have one also labeled "clock" - nothing connected to that one- may be why my clock doesnt keep time with the car off.

My 94 has the radio connector too. I never looked for the clock connector, since I don't have a clock.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 04:42 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/l...topics/2763434

No kidding. This is pretty good info.

If it’s a higher power head unit I personally would run a relay and feed from an auxiliary fuse box or relay and dedicated fuse/wire. The ACC leg can have enough trouble keeping up without help imho.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #10 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for the advice everybody. I think I'm going to go with mudbug's idea of going off the fuse, so I can have my radio on without having my efan on (or having to disconnect it). That radio thread is great, though doesn't mention why my ACC voltage is low, I have LEDs for dash lights and courtsey light so the V drop should be less than OEM. I found out you can just ground the radio to it's harness as the dash metal is grounded. Though I made a new ground to a bolt by the steering wheel, but it's good to know.

I'm hoping to finish up soon then post some pictures of what I did even if it's not perfect.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 08:51 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpage View Post
...though doesn't mention why my ACC voltage is low.....as the dash metal is grounded. Though I made a new ground to a bolt by the steering.
Your voltage is low because your connections and/or battery and charging cables and wires need to have their contact points cleaned and maybe replaced. Most likely. That is a common YJ malady now that these beautiful throwback machines are becoming old.

Fix the dipstick, firewall, alternator, PDC, and battery cables and you’ll have 12.6V

Seriously. You are not the first. Fix it before the fire and you won’t have to make that call to the insurance company. 🙂

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in