1994 Jeep yj slightly bent axle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Bagleysyj

1994 Jeep yj slightly bent axle

I get a slight wobble in my Jeep at around 60 mph. I researched and noticed a very slight rear passenger axle bend enough to notice by looking a tire when driving at low speed / wife driving. Did the whole jack up remove tire to confirm. Do you think this is the problem? I’m leaning toward replacing just need confirmation before I move forward. Any help greatly appreciated. 94 yj with Dana 35

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 10:10 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

A little confused on how you determined -

Why not swap wheel I would suspect a bent wheel first...

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Bagleysyj

I had the tires balanced and they saw nothing. I jacked up rear end and took video of the axle shaft spinning with no tire/rim and the right rear has a slight wobble to it. Left side perfect. Do you think the slightly bent axle shaft would translate into a larger wobble at high speed or is there something else I should look for?

post #4 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I can't say for sure but I'd think with the high strength steel in an axle, bending it without breaking it would be a heck of a thing.

You can drain the diff, remove the center pin in the carrier, and pull the C clip out in the center and the whole axle should come out. It's not a real hard job and I'd do that before buying a new axle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It is quite possible to bend an axle tube. I've seen a few. This would probably cause the axle shaft to act wonky.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Bagleysyj

I may just replace the axle and see if that does it.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Usually good Dana 35's can be had on Craigslist for around $100-150. Might be cheaper than buying just an axle. Is your rear axle original to the vehicle? Early YJ rear axle are non-c-clip and the parts are not interchangeable with the later c-clip rears.

'89 YJ "Night Eagle" 4.2 5spd, Spinnaker blue/grey, hard top and doors, mostly stock and RUST FREE!!
post #8 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Hardhead69
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would replace it
post #9 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Those are signs of a bent axle shaft near the flange. I've seen my share of that. Not that it's 100% guaranteed - but highly suspect.

The bend is often caused during a heavy side load or accident where the rear axle gets smacked. Not uncommon at all.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Bagleysyj

Just ordered new axle shaft for $109 and wheel studs. It looks like I have the Dana 35 with 27 spline c-clip. Not a bad deal from roughcountry free shipping. Looks to be fairly easy to change out just time consuming. Needed to change rear diff fluid anyways. I will report back if this fixes the 60 mph shake I have going on.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-03-2018, 07:13 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Axle shafts can and do bend, I've seen a bent shaft from a Crown Vic 8.8 do the same. Hope the new shaft fixes your issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in