1992 YJ Drivetrain Noise - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-23-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
specks5149
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1992 YJ Drivetrain Noise

HI Jeepers,

I have a 1992 YJ. It makes a terrible whining/grinding sound when I reach 2500RPM in 5th gear. It sounds like the noise is coming from anywhere under the jeep but mainly from in front of the shifter when going slow but when going highway speeds it get real intense. I have change all UJoints and the noise stops if I let of the gas even slightly. So naturally you would think it has to be something that is spinning and affected by the load of the engine. If it was a diff, or Ujoint issue or even a t-case issue the noise would be constant. This noise is crazy, something I have never heard before and I cannot figure out what it is. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I am asking the wrong questions or my testing methods are wrong. Anything??

Thanks,

Specks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-23-2019, 07:19 PM
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Typically letting off the gas (assuming engine revs are still up), and it gets quiet, then the rear diff is making the noise. I just replaced the ring and pinion to fix mine.

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
post #3 of 5 Old 03-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does it make this noise?

post #4 of 5 Old 03-24-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
specks5149
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well there are a few noises that it makes. One sounds like it is coming from where the throwout bearing would be. It almost sounds like what I would expect the front driveshaft to sound like if it was spinning loosely, somehow. The noise that I hear when I am in fifth gear going sixty-ish sounds like it is the same noise but at a much higher frequency. I did have it up on all fours and put it in 5th gear but didnt hear anything. However, when I looked underneath I could see the rear diff twist up from the torque. I can wiggle the rear drive shaft at the pinion and the pinion has play in it but I am not sure if it is too much. Thinking about it from Zrickety's response it does make sense from the standpoint of the noise is constant and loud where I cant hear myself thinking but sounds like it goes away when I lift off the gas. The other thing is that I do not feel a vibration when the noise increases. So, either I have multiple noises but cant pin point where they are coming from or it is the rear diff. But why would it get significantly louder like a switch was turned on. It isnt gradual which i find odd. The closest I can compare it to, which will only make sense if you have heard it as well is, when you push a shopping cart in Homedepot or any other store that has a bad front wheel and when you push the cart fast it makes zipping sound. I do believe it is a bearing but which one??? Thanks for your responses and anyother insights you can provide.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-26-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
specks5149
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you replace it yourself?

Tags
drivetrain noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in