1992 Jeep wrangler clutch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-11-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Jazzblues
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1992 Jeep wrangler clutch

Hi,
I have a 1992 jeep wrangler. For a while now, the clutch pedal loses some of it pressure and I’m used to add some fluid inside the clutch fluid tank. I have never really looked at the issue and I have no idea why I have to add fluid, there is no leaks on the ground so I’m not sure what is happening to the fluid.

1. The longer I drive on the highway (longer distance, higher gear, no shifting), the more the issue is pronounced. Loss of pressure at the clutch pedal

2. As I come to more traffic and needs to slow down, shifting gears, I can distinctively feel less pressure on the clutch pedal, having to press nearly to the floor before I can shift. This happens if I drive for a long stretch without using the clutch (highway). By “pumping” the pedal with my foot, I can increase the pressure some.

3. I opened the fluid tank, there was a rubber membrane inside. I noticed some fluid below the membrane and none above it. Is this normal?

4. I filled the clutch fluid tank until it was full and by installing the cap, I notice there is a small hole at the center of the cap and some fluid coming out of this hole. Is this hole supposed to be there? Looks perfectly centered to the cap.

5. Should there be fluid above the membrane?
Any other suggestion you might have will greatly help me troubleshoot and hopefully solve it.

Thank you very much.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1192.jpg  

Last edited by Jazzblues; 03-11-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: adding image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-12-2019, 03:24 PM
thedudesjeep

Garage
good post. I want to know this info too!

I've been having clutch issues too. Thanks for posting!
post #3 of 18 Old 03-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzblues View Post
Hi,
I have a 1992 jeep wrangler. For a while now, the clutch pedal loses some of it pressure and I’m used to add some fluid inside the clutch fluid tank. I have never really looked at the issue and I have no idea why I have to add fluid, there is no leaks on the ground so I’m not sure what is happening to the fluid.

1. The longer I drive on the highway (longer distance, higher gear, no shifting), the more the issue is pronounced. Loss of pressure at the clutch pedal

2. As I come to more traffic and needs to slow down, shifting gears, I can distinctively feel less pressure on the clutch pedal, having to press nearly to the floor before I can shift. This happens if I drive for a long stretch without using the clutch (highway). By “pumping” the pedal with my foot, I can increase the pressure some.

3. I opened the fluid tank, there was a rubber membrane inside. I noticed some fluid below the membrane and none above it. Is this normal?

4. I filled the clutch fluid tank until it was full and by installing the cap, I notice there is a small hole at the center of the cap and some fluid coming out of this hole. Is this hole supposed to be there? Looks perfectly centered to the cap.

5. Should there be fluid above the membrane?
Any other suggestion you might have will greatly help me troubleshoot and hopefully solve it.

Thank you very much.
The hole in the cap is a vent. It is to equalize pressure. Yes it should be there.

No. There should not be fluid above the membrane.

If you have to add fluid to your clutch master cylinder, you have a leak. You pumping the pedal indicates there is air in the system. You might not see a leak on the ground. You need to trace from the place you put the fluid in and follow the lines all the way to the clutch slave cylinder. If you see moisture, you have a leak. Depending on if your slave is internal or external, there may be fluid dripping out the bell housing. ANY leak is bad in a hydraulic clutch system. The require a lot of pressure to work, much like a brake system. ANY leak or seepage is a failure. You need to look at it and trace it. If it leaked onto the ground, it would probably not work at all.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #4 of 18 Old 03-18-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Jazzblues
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
The hole in the cap is a vent. It is to equalize pressure. Yes it should be there.

No. There should not be fluid above the membrane.

If you have to add fluid to your clutch master cylinder, you have a leak. You pumping the pedal indicates there is air in the system. You might not see a leak on the ground. You need to trace from the place you put the fluid in and follow the lines all the way to the clutch slave cylinder. If you see moisture, you have a leak. Depending on if your slave is internal or external, there may be fluid dripping out the bell housing. ANY leak is bad in a hydraulic clutch system. The require a lot of pressure to work, much like a brake system. ANY leak or seepage is a failure. You need to look at it and trace it. If it leaked onto the ground, it would probably not work at all.
Thank you for your reply. I did some readings as well as watching some videos and I believe I have a much better idea on how the clutch system works. One thing I could really use will be some clarifications on how the rubber piece fits in the equation.
To me, makes sense it will seat in the cap, but when I do that it seems to be preventing the threads inside the cap from screwing on the master cylinder. When I tried installing it in the master cylinder, it displaces and causes to overflow fluid. Can anyone please help? Preferably with a picture of what the correct installation should be. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1204.jpg   IMG_1208.jpg   IMG_1212.jpg   IMG_1216.jpg  
post #5 of 18 Old 03-19-2019, 10:08 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Put it in the cap like it is and push it down into the cap. Make sure you clean that fluid off your paint because it will eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 06:55 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It’s supposed to be collapsed into the cap. It extends when fluid is low to seal without allowing air entrance

You have a leak at firewall or in bell housing

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #7 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It also looks like the diaphragm is swollen. Wrong fluid, age, different things can cause this. I don't know if caps or diaphragms are available.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Caps and diaphragms are both available.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=yj+c...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-09-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Jazzblues
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Caps and diaphragms are both available.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=yj+c...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Thank you all for the various responses. Just a couple more questions to complete my understanding of the situation. I looked below the jeep and found what I guess is the slave cylinder (see pictures):
1. This is the slave cylinder correct?
2. Is this what is referred to external?
3. I used my fingers to feel around it and the black hydraulic hose and saw no evidence of fluid so I guess it is not leaking at slave cylinder?
4. As you can see on the pictures, it is connected to another “rod” which goes inside the transmission. Is it possible the leak might be on the other side, inside the transmission?
5. I can easily push the slave cylinder back and forward and as you can see there is a gap between it and the side of the transmission. Is this normal or should it be screwed in the transmission body?
I’m just trying to make sure I have I know what to replace, master, slave or both. Not knowing where the “rod” is attached to inside the transmission, I don’t know if the leak could be on that side as well.
Thank you for your continuous support.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1278.jpg   IMG_1279.jpg   IMG_1280.jpg   IMG_1282.jpg  
post #10 of 18 Old 04-09-2019, 05:54 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nope, that's the hydraulic line going to the internal slave, you can't see or service the slave without dropping the transmission. What engine and transmission combo do you have? The AX-15 should have a second line coming out of that hole for bleeding the slave. The 4 cylinder with the AX-5 however,,,, I have no idea what it should look like.

Quote:
post #11 of 18 Old 04-09-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Jazzblues
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, that is not good news. You are essentially saying the slave is located inside and the entire transmission has to come out? Is there a way to tell if the slave cylinder is leaking without dropping the transmission?
As for your questions, there is a small piece coming out of the transmission on the opposite side, is that the bleed off? Not sure what type of transmission I have but the vehicle is stock 4 cylinders.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1283.jpg   IMG_1284.jpg  
post #12 of 18 Old 04-10-2019, 05:47 AM
DesertRata

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look on the inside of your firewall where the clutch master cylinder connects to the clutch push rod. Do you see evidence of brake fluid leaking from the clutch master cylinder? If so, your master cylinder is shot and needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Desert Rata
post #13 of 18 Old 04-10-2019, 07:19 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRata View Post
Look on the inside of your firewall where the clutch master cylinder connects to the clutch push rod. Do you see evidence of brake fluid leaking from the clutch master cylinder? If so, your master cylinder is shot and needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Desert Rata
Good suggestion. Although, if the master is leaking, I would just replace it. You have to pull it out either way and it's like $15 for a new one, not even worth rebuilding IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzblues View Post
Wow, that is not good news. You are essentially saying the slave is located inside and the entire transmission has to come out? Is there a way to tell if the slave cylinder is leaking without dropping the transmission?
As for your questions, there is a small piece coming out of the transmission on the opposite side, is that the bleed off? Not sure what type of transmission I have but the vehicle is stock 4 cylinders.
Thank you.
The slave isn't "inside" the transmission so to say, but it is between the motor and transmission inside the bellhousing. If it's leaking you will usually see evidence of that at the bottom of the bellhousing. If you have other oil leaks it won't be as noticeable. Thanks for the additional pictures, I remember now seeing something about lines being opposite on the AX-5.

In the last picture you posted the top of the trans is or has recently been wet, very possible the master is leaking like DesertRata mentioned.

Quote:
post #14 of 18 Old 04-10-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Jazzblues
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the master and bled the line and still no pressure on the foot pedal...so I guess my only other option is the slave correct? or maybe I did not bled it correctly?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-10-2019, 07:31 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
It would appear that way.

If it comes to it other than (possibly rusty/stuck) skid plate bolts it’s not a difficult job, but it is time consuming and a jack and a good selection of tools is required.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in