• 1 Post By Rwrangler
  • 2 Post By Awesome
  • 1 Post By bruinjeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-08-2021, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

1991 Wrangler YJ NP231 transfer case

Can anyone recommend who is the best major rebuilder that knows about all the updates and does high quality work and stands by their work for my 1991 Jeep YJ NP231 transfer case? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-08-2021, 10:39 AM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

So you want to ship your transfer case to someone to be rebuilt?

Any local mechanic shop can do it. Its a pretty simple device, not like rebuilding a transmission.

The average joe can do it with a socket set and a good set of snap ring pliers

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,
whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven". Such is the rule of honor - Omerta
post #3 of 7 Old 05-08-2021, 01:46 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed!

If you're at least moderately mechanically inclined you could likely do it yourself. There's a detailed FSM for a 231 over on Pirate somewhere, I downloaded and printed it years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-08-2021, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Rwrangler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Randonexplosion and timatoe. Yes I agree with both of you. I would love to do this myself. I do have the experience and tools but no where to do this. It's going to be real hard to R&R the transfer case where I'm at, but I'm going to see If I can get away with it? All my tools (6 top and bottoms tool boxes, jacks, air compressor, etc.) are at my sister house 20 miles away. I'm not allowed to do mechanical work at my location.
I'm trying to recall the name of the transmission/transfer case rebuilder that was way above it's competition. Thanks
timatoe likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-08-2021, 08:35 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another option is check for used ones for sale in your area. Saw a guy local to me the other day on facebook marketplace with two 231's for $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-08-2021, 09:03 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwrangler View Post
Randonexplosion and timatoe. Yes I agree with both of you. I would love to do this myself. I do have the experience and tools but no where to do this. It's going to be real hard to R&R the transfer case where I'm at, but I'm going to see If I can get away with it? All my tools (6 top and bottoms tool boxes, jacks, air compressor, etc.) are at my sister house 20 miles away. I'm not allowed to do mechanical work at my location.
I'm trying to recall the name of the transmission/transfer case rebuilder that was way above it's competition. Thanks
You can remove it invisibly (there are no signs that it's missing from your vehicle while its parked) and do it on your kitchen counter. It's small and very easy to disassemble.
timatoe and Waternut like this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-09-2021, 07:34 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Or do it my way...

Right in front of them. Once it is in pieces, they are more inclined to let you put it back together to clean up the mess lol
Waternut likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in