1990 YJ, Need help with a few issues. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 122 Old 10-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
I have had success with the Durango box. It wont go in immediately but ill keep it on the shelf.

I found a few CAD delete kits. They are fairly cheap. What do you recommend for chromoly shafts?

I am buying a house right now with a large 2 car garage so the jeep will go in there and ill do the built up and everything and be ready for the spring.
If you are going chromoloy why waste money on a cad delete. You can gut and use the old housing or just cut a flat peice of metal to shape and drill 4 holes and bolt it on. I have a posi-lock but I still have the 2 peice shaft. I use it like a hub in the snow for 4wd because I have a lunch box locker up front so I can disengage that side and actually turn. My rear locker is selectable. Limited slip when its off and locked when I press the oh **** button. I made it green for go.

As far as shafts I couldnt tell you. I dont run chromolys. I have never broken a D30 or 8.8 shaft and I can romp it pretty hard. I never had lockers before this past April either though and havent gotten to wheel with them yet so that could change. I am 33's though so it should be alright. You probably dont need chromoly shafts till about 35's. But thats your choice I just dont know who has the best bang for the buck. I see them on Amazon all the time from Yukon for like $300 a set but again I dont know if that is good or not. I dont have a reason to spend the money on them yet. If I ever break a shaft I will reevaluate at that time. WIth PRIME I can have them in 2 days.

Congrats on the house. I am looking as well I am trying to find atleast a 3 car though since my girlfriend will not accept parking outside so I can have stuff tore apart.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 122 Old 10-30-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
If you are going chromoloy why waste money on a cad delete. You can gut and use the old housing or just cut a flat peice of metal to shape and drill 4 holes and bolt it on. I have a posi-lock but I still have the 2 peice shaft. I use it like a hub in the snow for 4wd because I have a lunch box locker up front so I can disengage that side and actually turn. My rear locker is selectable. Limited slip when its off and locked when I press the oh **** button. I made it green for go.

As far as shafts I couldnt tell you. I dont run chromolys. I have never broken a D30 or 8.8 shaft and I can romp it pretty hard. I never had lockers before this past April either though and havent gotten to wheel with them yet so that could change. I am 33's though so it should be alright. You probably dont need chromoly shafts till about 35's. But thats your choice I just dont know who has the best bang for the buck. I see them on Amazon all the time from Yukon for like $300 a set but again I dont know if that is good or not. I dont have a reason to spend the money on them yet. If I ever break a shaft I will reevaluate at that time. WIth PRIME I can have them in 2 days.

Congrats on the house. I am looking as well I am trying to find atleast a 3 car though since my girlfriend will not accept parking outside so I can have stuff tore apart.
Okay so I'm going to stick with the axles shafts i have and just do the delete for now. Which really is just seal and a flat piece of metal like you stated before. I am going to regear the front to 4.10's since the 8.8 has them in already. I found a set on rockauto for a good price, what do you think? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1184936&jsn=8

I want to see how things wheel like it is. I am going to get "SOLID" diff covers for the D30 and 8.8. I want a locker at least for the rear but probably for both. I need to do some research to figure out what exactly i want to put in there.

I am looking at brakes as well. I need to see what the best options will be for disc brakes.

PRIME is a must. 2-day shipping is awesome. I order things all the time and It is great!

The house has a 2 car garage but i am going to build a 2 or 3 car shop. There is plenty of land for me to do that.

1990 YJ - 4.2L, AX-15, 2.5" lift, 33s" Lots more to come
89 & 95 XJ's - SOLD
post #78 of 122 Old 10-31-2019, 07:53 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay so I'm going to stick with the axles shafts i have and just do the delete for now. Which really is just seal and a flat piece of metal like you stated before. I am going to regear the front to 4.10's since the 8.8 has them in already. I found a set on rockauto for a good price, what do you think? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1184936&jsn=8

I want to see how things wheel like it is. I am going to get "SOLID" diff covers for the D30 and 8.8. I want a locker at least for the rear but probably for both. I need to do some research to figure out what exactly i want to put in there.

I am looking at brakes as well. I need to see what the best options will be for disc brakes.

PRIME is a must. 2-day shipping is awesome. I order things all the time and It is great!

The house has a 2 car garage but i am going to build a 2 or 3 car shop. There is plenty of land for me to do that.
If your sticking with stock shafts. Take the cad off move the fork over and reinstall it. It will keep the 2 peice shaft locked as one. Cost nothing but time and a little RTV. If your CAD is working I would leave it if it were me. I only switch mine to a posi-lock because of the front lunch box locker mountains and snow. My rear I have a selectable. I love the lockers. Though showing off for the girlfriend I almost rolled it last night because of those lockers.

With the exception of engine transfercase and 8.8 I have rebuilt my Jeep off Amazon. Even got the weld on frame repair peices from there.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.

post #79 of 122 Old 11-05-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
If your sticking with stock shafts. Take the cad off move the fork over and reinstall it. It will keep the 2 peice shaft locked as one. Cost nothing but time and a little RTV. If your CAD is working I would leave it if it were me. I only switch mine to a posi-lock because of the front lunch box locker mountains and snow. My rear I have a selectable. I love the lockers. Though showing off for the girlfriend I almost rolled it last night because of those lockers.

With the exception of engine transfercase and 8.8 I have rebuilt my Jeep off Amazon. Even got the weld on frame repair peices from there.
So change 1082 or whatever number I'm on now. I picked up my new to me 1996 Explorer Ford 8.8 with 4.10s, I am not sure if it has an LSD or not, I am thinking it doesn't. I also got my Durango steering box and putting it in my Jeep box for later down the road or who knows maybe i wont use it and just sell it one day but the deal was too good to pass up.

I was going to mess with some of the dash wiring over the weekend and come to find out after the first night of freezing weather the battery is shot. I went to hook it up to my battery charger and it was toast too after being in my girlfriend's shed and getting rained on a few too many times. I took that back to Harbor Freight and got a new one. I also picked up an angle grinder and some cut off wheels since ill be using that shortly on the 8.8.

My focus right now is to get a new battery, I am thinking the Auto-Craft AGM Platinum from Advanced or a similar one from Batteries Plus. I have also considered the Odyssey battery at Auto Zone. I was originally going to go with an Optima but have heard a lot of negative reviews of their batteries now so I will probably stay clear of those. Once I get a battery I will continue to work on the dash. I have cleaned all the gauges and cleaned up the connectors too. I had to get a new connector for my radio so waiting for that to come in. and then ill put the dash back together. I am also ordering a new ignition cylinder with a key and a new turn signal switch.

The plan for the axles. The Dana 30 is getting 4.10 gears, new diff cover and then new brake rotors and pads and possibly calibers as well. The Ford 8.8 will get all the old perches cut off and stripped down, painted, diff fluid change and new diff cover and new perches put on. Then same thing for brakes, all new rotors, pads and calibers. I am trying to find the best kit for perches for 8.8 here are the two kits I have been looking into.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/more-...t-8795-yj.html
or
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-49...-swap-kit.html

They both seem to be basically the same kit.

I plan on doing the stripping down once i get moved into my new house. Right now i need to get and keep the jeep running and rolling so i can drive it to its new home hopefully within the next month. In the mean time ill keep looking for parts and things i want to upgrade. I will post a picture of the new axle later.

Any advice on the battery will be greatly appreciated.

89 & 95 XJ's - SOLD
post #80 of 122 Old 11-05-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Here are the pictures of my new Ford 8.8 and the Durango steering box loaded up in the bed of the truck.

img-9081.jpg

The 8.8 on Jack stands for now until it is ready for me to strip down and get it ready for the Jeep.

img-9085.jpg

89 & 95 XJ's - SOLD
post #81 of 122 Old 11-05-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well after reading and seeing what was available in town I decided to go with the yellow top Optima. It fit right in and the Jeep fires right up again.

8898ae6a-cc32-4832-8495-9c71a11a4c28_1573010975491.jpg

I work on some wiring is the dash, mostly for the radio. The radio I have is dead. I fixed the connector and have power for memory and then power when the Jeep is on. The radio itself however has no life left in it so Iíll have to find one later. I am waiting for LED bulbs then I can finish up my dash.

It looks like the valve cover is in fact leaking. I have another gasket and Iím going to replace it and just let it set. I will call around for a RMS and probably look to get that and the oil pan gaskets replaced as well.

89 & 95 XJ's - SOLD
post #82 of 122 Old 11-06-2019, 10:36 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So change 1082 or whatever number I'm on now. I picked up my new to me 1996 Explorer Ford 8.8 with 4.10s, I am not sure if it has an LSD or not, I am thinking it doesn't. I also got my Durango steering box and putting it in my Jeep box for later down the road or who knows maybe i wont use it and just sell it one day but the deal was too good to pass up.

I was going to mess with some of the dash wiring over the weekend and come to find out after the first night of freezing weather the battery is shot. I went to hook it up to my battery charger and it was toast too after being in my girlfriend's shed and getting rained on a few too many times. I took that back to Harbor Freight and got a new one. I also picked up an angle grinder and some cut off wheels since ill be using that shortly on the 8.8.

My focus right now is to get a new battery, I am thinking the Auto-Craft AGM Platinum from Advanced or a similar one from Batteries Plus. I have also considered the Odyssey battery at Auto Zone. I was originally going to go with an Optima but have heard a lot of negative reviews of their batteries now so I will probably stay clear of those. Once I get a battery I will continue to work on the dash. I have cleaned all the gauges and cleaned up the connectors too. I had to get a new connector for my radio so waiting for that to come in. and then ill put the dash back together. I am also ordering a new ignition cylinder with a key and a new turn signal switch.

The plan for the axles. The Dana 30 is getting 4.10 gears, new diff cover and then new brake rotors and pads and possibly calibers as well. The Ford 8.8 will get all the old perches cut off and stripped down, painted, diff fluid change and new diff cover and new perches put on. Then same thing for brakes, all new rotors, pads and calibers. I am trying to find the best kit for perches for 8.8 here are the two kits I have been looking into.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/more-...t-8795-yj.html
or
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-49...-swap-kit.html

They both seem to be basically the same kit.

I plan on doing the stripping down once i get moved into my new house. Right now i need to get and keep the jeep running and rolling so i can drive it to its new home hopefully within the next month. In the mean time ill keep looking for parts and things i want to upgrade. I will post a picture of the new axle later.

Any advice on the battery will be greatly appreciated.
This sounds like a solid plan. Before spending to much on upgrades like front chromoloy shafts wheel it and see where the week spot is then upgrade.

As far as Battery I have used the walmart specials in 4 jeeps. 2 with winches and alot of winch use. I have gotten 5+ years out of 3 of them. One was 8 years old when I sold the jeep and would still start it with no problem after sitting for almost a year. I just put one in my current jeep 2 months ago when the optima died.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #83 of 122 Old 11-07-2019, 12:29 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Radio replace. I have this. It is ok, great addition to the heep https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-XRM4...iver/995367012

[size=ď3Ē]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #84 of 122 Old 11-07-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I picked up a radio from the local Trade It yesterday along with a CB radio both for under $55.

740f4077-a629-4c9d-b073-2765bc404b67_1573170951475.jpg

I got power setup to the radio but I have to fix some speaker wires before itís finished. I also got my LED dash lights in so Iíll install them and be able to put part of the dash back together.

I found out what killed my battery. The ignition switch was slightly in the on position. I know this because it happened again. Luckily I was about to charge the Optima a bit and it fired back up.

89 & 95 XJ's - SOLD
post #85 of 122 Old 11-08-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I took the Jeep to the exhaust shop this morning and we put it on the lift to see what was going on. Its just an oil leak and its oil burning off the exhaust when it is running. I have an oil pan gasket and now I need to call for a RMS and it looks like my weekend will involve laying on my back while i change some seals/gaskets. Im going to clean off the transmission too. The shop owner did tell me that i will need a catalytic converter in order to pass the state inspection. Im going to have to research it to see it at 30+ if vehicles in NC need it or just a safety inspection is inquired. I want to do a tummy tuck so im going to start looking at MML, probably brown dog mounts, ive used them in the past. Im going to look at the daystar 1" body lift as well. I know ill have to move the exhaust up some and then raise the tranny and t-case. I will more than likely make a flat skid instead of trying to buy one. I have seen a few cool ones made and it wont be too tough to do. One a positive note the Jeep ran incredible. I am really pleased with how it is running, minus the oil leak lol.

89 & 95 XJ's - SOLD
post #86 of 122 Old 11-09-2019, 12:47 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Flat skid mod is really nice.
I recently bought a “stock” 87 and I hate how I can’t just slide under and do maintenance stuff like I can on “my” jeep.

Cranking IS turning over
post #87 of 122 Old 11-11-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Friday I got off early, went by the parts the parts store for a RMS and headed home. I put the Jeep on stands and dropped the oil pan and started cleaning things up. While I was at it I decided to go to the parts store for some paint so I could paint the oil pan. I took my time and clean the oil pan and everything covered in oil underneath the engine.

29c8b84a-7a3c-4ae7-8226-db646bbc7dae_1573527199347.jpg

446fde87-d4f3-406d-a4ed-6e2aa0064705_1573527612308.jpg

05c425a6-b506-47ad-b2ce-5288b1522957_1573527626830.jpg

25cda545-d6ff-4e05-907e-295241ed9c6e_1573527646814.jpg

After run all over the place Saturday, I worked on the RMS on Sunday. Once I did that I had the oil pan clean, primed, painted and cleaned all in high temp paint. I went with Chrysler Blue. I also changed out the valve cover gasket too again. It was a very quick and clean change. I buttoned everything up, added fresh oil and it runs very well. No leaks or white smoke.

f06664e8-9ab1-46c3-9ff6-1dd7ca90f50e_1573527666708.jpg

I also put on some other parts I had. New LED headlights from amazon. Some green LEDs for the dash (I know I need to finish wiring).

38c174f2-946e-432c-9fff-431ac129e1cf_1573527677939.jpg

6298abf6-bfa0-4532-8e19-a441d79f518d_1573527689730.jpg

Then today I did a boom shackle lift up front and realized I needed another set for the rear and ordered them. I got M.O.R.E. Boom Shackles and they are SOLID! I am very pleased with them.

240b93bf-fec8-4d68-b71a-54ecef173c17_1573527704855.jpg

d58caff4-4cb9-459d-be88-581ef23ab919_1573527717033.jpg

82841c2d-e4ab-4ffa-85b1-f4a2ee4d2316_1573527728526.jpg

I think this was a rather successful weekend.
zrickety likes this.

89 & 95 XJ's - SOLD
post #88 of 122 Old 11-13-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Tummy Tuck

I have decided to do the tummy tuck next. I have the rear shackles that will be here in the next day or so and ill work on that but then i want to get the tummy tuck started. I am ordering a 1" Daystar Body Lift and Brown Dog 1" MML. I have read a few articles and they recommend Transfer Case bracket from Novak but I can not find it. Also what does everyone think about Rear adjustable Control arms and which brands work best? Since i will be installing the 8.8 in a bit it only makes sense to me to do the tummy tuck at the same time to account for the bracket changes and adjustments ill need to make anyways.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

89 & 95 XJ's - SOLD
post #89 of 122 Old 11-13-2019, 10:01 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
In my opinion you don’t need to buy parts to do a tummy tuck.

The brown dog motor mount reputation is excellent, but I just made my own mounts because I did a little more than tuck to flat belly: I made it flat!

As far as the adjustable rear control arms control arms are for coil sprung vehicles. Not YJs.

As far as the transmission transfer case mount, a piece of tubing a 6 x 7” piece of steel plate and a couple of bushing mounts to weld to the frame and you can make a crossmember and not have to worry about the crossmember skid plate.

So then you make a flat skid plate that can be removed easily and you can work on stuff without having to support it before you can support it and do maintenance and whatever else and have it be a joy.

Yeah I’m a little bully on the true flat belly 🙂

as far as the transmission / transfer case mount, a piece of tubing, a 6 x 7“ piece of steel plate and a couple of bushing mounts to weld to the frame and you can make a crossmember and not have to worry about the wannabe-crossmember /. skid plate.

Then you make an actual flat skid plate that can be removed easily and you can work on stuff without having to support it before you can support it and do maintenance and whatever else and have it be a joy.

Yeah I’m a little bully on the true flat skid. But don’t feel like you have to do it. You will probably need a new driveshaft and/or SYE if you do

Cranking IS turning over
post #90 of 122 Old 11-13-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
In my opinion you donít need to buy parts to do a tummy tuck.

The brown dog motor mount reputation is excellent, but I just made my own mounts because I did a little more than tuck to flat belly: I made it flat!

As far as the adjustable rear control arms control arms are for coil sprung vehicles. Not YJs.

As far as the transmission transfer case mount, a piece of tubing a 6 x 7Ē piece of steel plate and a couple of bushing mounts to weld to the frame and you can make a crossmember and not have to worry about the crossmember skid plate.

So then you make a flat skid plate that can be removed easily and you can work on stuff without having to support it before you can support it and do maintenance and whatever else and have it be a joy.

Yeah Iím a little bully on the true flat belly 🙂

as far as the transmission / transfer case mount, a piece of tubing, a 6 x 7ď piece of steel plate and a couple of bushing mounts to weld to the frame and you can make a crossmember and not have to worry about the wannabe-crossmember /. skid plate.

Then you make an actual flat skid plate that can be removed easily and you can work on stuff without having to support it before you can support it and do maintenance and whatever else and have it be a joy.

Yeah Iím a little bully on the true flat skid. But donít feel like you have to do it. You will probably need a new driveshaft and/or SYE if you do
The Brown Dog is outstanding and i plan on using it. My body mounts are shot so I was already planning the 1" body lift. I really like that idea of the cross member myself for holding the Tranny and T-case up. I much rather make the skid myself than spend gobs of money for someone else's product. I already have a SYE installed. My driveshaft will more than likely have to be adjusted or a new one made when i install the 8.8 so that is on my list already.

I realize now that the "tummy tuck" post i was referencing was a TJ post and not a YJ,

Thank you for your help!

89 & 95 XJ's - SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in