1987 rear vibration - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 06-01-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Thumbs27

1987 rear vibration

Hi i am new to this site. I have a 1987 jeep wrangler yj tht has been converted to the 4.0l with a 42re automatic. The rear end has had the leaf spring perches rewelded on. The pinion angle seem to high, an whn u take off it shakes. But goes away aftwr a few seconds. This only happens on take of

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 06-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Post quality pics from different angles/views
post #3 of 48 Old 06-03-2019, 12:37 PM
wishyouwereher

If pinion angle is to high the ears on the driveshaft can hit the pinion on take off because the axle rolls back when tourer is applied. Check for a loose u-joint, it my have bent the u-joint straps that hold it to the pinion. Replace those with u-bolts, they are way stronger.

post #4 of 48 Old 06-03-2019, 01:31 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am with Joe post pics. It could be alot more than a bad pinion angle as well. Could be the clutch also

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #5 of 48 Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Thumbs27

So i knw it cant be the clutch because it is an automatic. It has ubolt stay straps on it. As i add different degree shimes to it it makes it better. The people tht started building this jeep cut the original trans crossmember apart an rewelded it back together so im wondering if tht is part of the problem.
post #6 of 48 Old 06-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs27 View Post
So i knw it cant be the clutch because it is an automatic. It has ubolt stay straps on it. As i add different degree shimes to it it makes it better. The people tht started building this jeep cut the original trans crossmember apart an rewelded it back together so im wondering if tht is part of the problem.
Instead of expecting us to telepathically see your jeep through your mind why dont you go ahead and take some pics and post them so you can get the help your asking for. I dont believe most of us have mastered seeing stuff using anothers eyes.
Awesome likes this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #7 of 48 Old 06-05-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Thumbs27

Sorry have been so busy at work here is the only pic tht i have right now will get more soon
Attached Thumbnails
20190409_181051_HDR_1559746908587.jpg  
post #8 of 48 Old 06-05-2019, 09:28 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs27 View Post
Sorry have been so busy at work here is the only pic tht i have right now will get more soon
You mean you dont see the problem there? First your driveshaft is like 2 inches than resting angles are wrong any suspension travel at all takes you beyond what the u-joints can compensate for. There is everything wrong there. I dont know if an SYE would get you enough driveshaft but you definitly need one. I am also assuming that almost non existant driveshaft isnt balanced as I cant believe an driveshaft shoop would even entertain the idea of making a driveshaft that small.

I am starting to question if this is a troll post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #9 of 48 Old 06-05-2019, 09:39 AM
hofferwood

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Was downside up
Attached Thumbnails
20190409_181051_HDR_1559746908587.jpg  

If it aint broke---fix it till it is
post #10 of 48 Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Doesnt change the face that everything is wrong, Literally.
The driveshaft is waaaaay to short and I am sure unbalanced. The pinion angle is set up like its got an SYE and double cardon drive shaft. If the pinion was set right the u-joint angles would be way to severe. You at a minimum need an SYE and new driveshaft and probably a stretch too to get enough length on the driveshaft. I see of no way you can make that set up work as is

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #11 of 48 Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and whomever made that monstrousity of a driveshaft phased the u-joints wrong when the welded it back up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #12 of 48 Old 06-06-2019, 08:56 AM
wishyouwereher

Agreed
post #13 of 48 Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Thumbs27

The drive shaft is 6 1/2 inches long there is still 2 inches of in travel on the slip yok. As i add degree shimes to it turning the pinion down the shake has gotten better. An no this is not a troll post. This jeep was someones project. It has a 42rh automaticin it tht is why the drive shaft is so short
post #14 of 48 Old 06-06-2019, 09:14 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
good god. could almost hard mount that rear to the trans lol......hard to be worse then this and think its close? Fc me.

yea a CD joint would take up about the space he has now and room for a spline joint. Might want to call someone like TW and ask whats the shortest shaft they could build, then move the rear so you have at least that much. You can gain some with a short SYE, not all that much though.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 48 Old 06-06-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Thumbs27

All i am looking to do is get ride of the shake when i first take off. This jeep is not an off road jeep. As i turn the pinion angle down the shake is not as bad. It kinda going away. So am i on the right track or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in