1987 4.0 Head Conversion Roadblock, need help - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OilfieldCowboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-16-2021, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
OilfieldCowboy
1934 CJ2A 

1987 4.0 Head Conversion Roadblock, need help

We are onto buttoning up our 1987 4.0 head conversion and have come to a roadblock where the 4.2 intake manifold wont bolt up without a spacer of some kind due to the heated bowl impacting the banks headers.

Two questions:
Are there any different options for intake that will bolt up to our TBI and fit with headers? I have seen the Clifford conversion intake, but from what I can find they are built for higher RPM power at the sacrifice of bottom end.

Are there better options for manifolds or headers rather than the Banks?

2006 Rubicon Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-17-2021, 11:05 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Can you dimple the header to give you room. Was the header built for a FI or Carb?
post #3 of 6 Old 10-17-2021, 07:38 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Can you dimple the header to give you room. Was the header built for a FI or Carb?
Is dimple just a nice term for beat the eff out of it with a hammer because you are frustrated, dirty, and had too many beers?

I ask because there are dimples, and then there are dimples. They both read the same on the net.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-17-2021, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
OilfieldCowboy
1934 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post

I would have to crush the header tubes to the point of restriction to get it to fit. Header is for the 4.0 since 4.0 swap, so Im assuming it was built for FI. Ill be calling Clifford tomorrow to see if their 4.0 carb intake manifold has longer runners to clear the header.
shaggyjim likes this.

2006 Rubicon Unlimited
post #5 of 6 Old 10-17-2021, 08:40 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Is dimple just a nice term for beat the eff out of it with a hammer because you are frustrated, dirty, and had too many beers?

I ask because there are dimples, and then there are dimples. They both read the same on the net.
Truthfully it was a term I first ran across in a Hooker Header installation instruction paper. I was under the impression a "dimple" is less than 3/8ths ingress on the tube. The headers I was installing would have needed "DIMPLED" to almost crushed closed so your correct dimples and dimples.
So on a pointless side rant Hooker Headers are trash and I cant believe something so easy to set up in a jig still sucked so badly.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-17-2021, 09:27 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There are several headers that WON"T work underneath manifolds with the pre-heat 'bowl'. Doug Thorley and Banks are two that I sent back for that very reason. Being in Florida, I just ground the whole preheat chamber off of the manifold, plugged the inlet/outlet and called it a day. A GM style block heater or even a wrap of incandescent Christmas lights overnight made December and January cold snaps no problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in