What is this 2.2 diesel? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-29-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Tango.

What is this 2.2 diesel?

Who makes and what is this new 2.2 diesel now going into the euro Wrangler?

Is this the same diesel slotted for the USA wrangler?

Life is hard-John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-31-2018, 08:55 AM
Jambalam

2007 WK 

Garage
hmmm... I hope not? or maybe its good? I thought the US diesel Wranglers were getting the same Fiat/VW diesel from the current Grand Cherokees, no?
Although I'm sad my boasting days are dwindling as diesel Jeeps are becoming more common, I'm both excited and cautious for the diesel wranglers! Hope they kick ***.

Where'd you see this at?

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited CRD.
2006 Grand Cherokee Larado 3.7 V6.
Denver,CO
post #3 of 9 Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Tango.

I SAW THE POST HERE:

https://www.motor1.com/news/251531/j...-europe-debut/

THEN IS SAID...

The JL-generation Jeep Wrangler is just starting to arrive at dealers in the United States, and the company is now outlining the specs for the European version that arrives in September. The Euro-spec Wrangler is largely the same as its North American counterpart but with some powertrain tweaks. The biggest change is that buyers across the Pond can get a 2.2-liter turbodiesel four-cylinder engine, in addition to the gas-fueled 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. The 3.6-liter V6 is only available in Africa and the Middle East.

The diesel mill produces 200 horsepower (149 kilowatts) and 332 pound-feet of torque (450 Newton-meters). Like the rest of the engines available in Europe, buyers can only get this powerplant with an eight-speed automatic the six-speed manual isn't available there at all.

The diesel-powered Wrangler still be a very capable off-roader. The Sport and Sahara trim levels come standard with Jeep's Command-Trac that has a two-speed transfer case with 3.73-ratio rear axles, rather than 3.45-ratio on the gas-fueled models. The part lets drivers swap between rear-wheel and four-wheel drive on the fly at up to 45 mph. There's also a four-wheel low range for especially sticky situations. An optional Trac-Lok limited-slip rear differential gives drivers even more available traction on slippery surfaces.

Life is hard-John Wayne

post #4 of 9 Old 09-17-2018, 03:38 AM
kenishere1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hard to swallow the high price point of the diesel here in California, diesel fuel is so damn expensive
post #5 of 9 Old 09-17-2018, 03:40 AM
kenishere1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Diesel is close to $4 a gallon right now, all due to gas taxes
post #6 of 9 Old 09-17-2018, 03:42 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
why? will the jeep tow more? No. will it better MPG not that much considering cost of purchase and then maintaining one. Cost is always MORE burning oil for maintenance.

same can be said for the 4 banger. why? cant make any power unless in boost. They will tell you its fast spooling. sure on the highway. but off road much will be under 1200 rpms. MPG in spool is ZIP. i had a 2.0 LNF DI factory tuned. at 295hp 320ftlbs. BUT in a much lighter car that was aerodynamic. MPG not that good. you could manage 20 but once your foot pulls boost that drops like a rock.

a jeep needs displacement. That makes power with ease not on crack. They should have just drooped a small V8 in them as the UP grade. That would sell 10x more..... Hell cat wrangler, good god....

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-18-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Tango.

THE ONLY SPEC I SEE:

In select markets, FCA offers an all-new 2.2L Multijet II common rail direct injection turbodiesel with 185 PS (136 kW; 182 hp) or 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) and 440 N⋅m (320 lbf⋅ft) of torque, achieving fuel economy of 49.6 MPGimp combined.

49 mpg (imperial) would be approx. 37 mpg USA Gallons I think?

.. then it went on to say the USA Wrangler will get the 3.0 Diesel.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #8 of 9 Old 06-23-2020, 05:42 AM
Romantion

Diesel price increasing too fast in USA, it is too much expensive.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2020, 12:36 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The V6 3.0 diesel developed with Jaguar and others also appears in the land Rover Discovery, if this is the one they are referring to then it is a fine engine.

The 2.2 Multijet II is also a good turbodiesel.

Diesel sales in Europe rocketed in the 90s because they became smoother and the fuel was a lot cheaper than petrol. Diesel contaisn about 10% more energy than petrol and the Diesel cycle is more efficient, hence they are more economical.

Of late demand has increased to the point where diesel prices have climbed relative to petrol, and the emissions have come under scrutiny with various scandals. What, not clean after all???? Shocker.

but that has left the market with quiet and well behaved turbo diesels. They are fine at idle off road and the turbo adds a lot of torque above idle. I had a diesel Grand Cherokee and it never faltered.

As to costs, they cost more to make and require more servicing as they fill up with soot so any gain in consumption is reduced. I prefer petrol!!!!

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in