Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What is this 2.2 diesel?

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jeepdaddy2000 
#1 ·
Who makes and what is this new 2.2 diesel now going into the euro Wrangler?

Is this the same diesel slotted for the USA wrangler?

#2 ·
hmmm... I hope not? or maybe its good? I thought the US diesel Wranglers were getting the same Fiat/VW diesel from the current Grand Cherokees, no?
Although I'm sad my boasting days are dwindling as diesel Jeeps are becoming more common, I'm both excited and cautious for the diesel wranglers! Hope they kick ***.

Where'd you see this at?

#3 ·
I SAW THE POST HERE:

https://www.motor1.com/news/251531/jeep-wrangler-diesel-europe-debut/

THEN IS SAID...

The JL-generation Jeep Wrangler is just starting to arrive at dealers in the United States, and the company is now outlining the specs for the European version that arrives in September. The Euro-spec Wrangler is largely the same as its North American counterpart but with some powertrain tweaks. The biggest change is that buyers across the Pond can get a 2.2-liter turbodiesel four-cylinder engine, in addition to the gas-fueled 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. The 3.6-liter V6 is only available in Africa and the Middle East.

The diesel mill produces 200 horsepower (149 kilowatts) and 332 pound-feet of torque (450 Newton-meters). Like the rest of the engines available in Europe, buyers can only get this powerplant with an eight-speed automatic - the six-speed manual isn't available there at all.

The diesel-powered Wrangler still be a very capable off-roader. The Sport and Sahara trim levels come standard with Jeep's Command-Trac that has a two-speed transfer case with 3.73-ratio rear axles, rather than 3.45-ratio on the gas-fueled models. The part lets drivers swap between rear-wheel and four-wheel drive on the fly at up to 45 mph. There's also a four-wheel low range for especially sticky situations. An optional Trac-Lok limited-slip rear differential gives drivers even more available traction on slippery surfaces.

#6 ·
why? will the jeep tow more? No. will it better MPG not that much considering cost of purchase and then maintaining one. Cost is always MORE burning oil for maintenance.

same can be said for the 4 banger. why? cant make any power unless in boost. They will tell you its fast spooling. sure on the highway. but off road much will be under 1200 rpms. MPG in spool is ZIP. i had a 2.0 LNF DI factory tuned. at 295hp 320ftlbs. BUT in a much lighter car that was aerodynamic. MPG not that good. you could manage 20 but once your foot pulls boost that drops like a rock.

a jeep needs displacement. That makes power with ease not on crack. They should have just drooped a small V8 in them as the UP grade. That would sell 10x more..... Hell cat wrangler, good god....

#7 ·
THE ONLY SPEC I SEE:

In select markets, FCA offers an all-new 2.2L Multijet II common rail direct injection turbodiesel with 185 PS (136 kW; 182 hp) or 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) and 440 N⋅m (320 lbf⋅ft) of torque, achieving fuel economy of 49.6 MPGimp combined.

49 mpg (imperial) would be approx. 37 mpg USA Gallons I think?

.. then it went on to say the USA Wrangler will get the 3.0 Diesel.

#9 ·
The V6 3.0 diesel developed with Jaguar and others also appears in the land Rover Discovery, if this is the one they are referring to then it is a fine engine.

The 2.2 Multijet II is also a good turbodiesel.

Diesel sales in Europe rocketed in the 90s because they became smoother and the fuel was a lot cheaper than petrol. Diesel contaisn about 10% more energy than petrol and the Diesel cycle is more efficient, hence they are more economical.

Of late demand has increased to the point where diesel prices have climbed relative to petrol, and the emissions have come under scrutiny with various scandals. What, not clean after all???? Shocker.

but that has left the market with quiet and well behaved turbo diesels. They are fine at idle off road and the turbo adds a lot of torque above idle. I had a diesel Grand Cherokee and it never faltered.

As to costs, they cost more to make and require more servicing as they fill up with soot so any gain in consumption is reduced. I prefer petrol!!!!

#11 ·
i have had a number over the last 30 years, starting with Citroen non turbo models, then various small turbodiesels, modern jaguar and Alfa Romeo diesels and Ford Ranger (Mazda) and lately I have an Isuzu turbodiesel, one of the latest from the largest manufacturer of diesels in the world.

I have also owned and still own a lot of petrol vehicles and Jeeps, including a 6.0litre V12.

Where shall I start with the good and bad of modern diesel engines?

Good

The main attraction in Malaysia and Indonesia where I drive is that diesel fuel is cheap. It is only just becoming Euro IV compliant low sulphur. The price is kept down as it is commercial fuel.

Having said that the petrol is also cheap.

Both are at around 50c / litre, US$2.27 per imperial gallon, US$1.89 per US gallon.in the past diesel has been cheaper.

The mpg is good. I get 9km/litre in my Isuzu truck which is 53 mpg (Imperial), 44 mpg (US). A petrol version would give maybe 30mpg (US).

I reckon the fuel savings are around 30% but as Isuzu do not sell a petrol truck, it is a guess. I do know a petrol v diesel Toyota Fortuner of similar size is around 30% different.

Torque - it does pick up and go. It also has bags of low down torque when at slow speeds off road. My Isuzu has 350Nm of torque, which is a lot, and it allows me to put it all down on the road. the 2.0l Ford diesel has 500 Nm but limits torque below 30mph.

Bad

Purchase Price - more parts in a diesel, they are more expensive to buy.

Noisy - yes, diesels are far quieter than 30 years ago. But they still rattle.

Dirty - PN10 particulates, nitrogen oxides, but less carbon monoxide than petrol. yes, they have filters but you really do not want to be on the end of a diesel tailpipe

Smoothness - I have a 6 speed auto box. not as smooth as petrol

Servicing - it is an Isuzu so costs are low but there is more to work on, more systems to check.

Overall I would prefer to have a petrol but the combination of perceived better economy on fuel and torque keeps truck owners coming back to diesel.

#12 ·
One thing to remember on this discussion is application. Bagus's living/working conditions are probably different than most folks stateside, especially in the west.
We do a lot of pulling and a diesel is the only way to go. Just sold my F350 with the 7.3 and in the 300,000 miles we owned it never had any real engine issues. Oil changes, water pump, and a couple of glow plug replacements was about it. Other pre emission diesel engines are comparable in economy and longevity. Dodge ran a Cummins 5.9 that is virtually legendary before switching to the newer 6.7 (one of which I now own). Most larger pick up trucks are running 18+ MPG on the freeway and in the 13+MPG pulling, which is pretty good for a crew cab 1 ton.

Diesel cars aren't nearly as popular here (small diesel trucks are virtually nonexistent). Ran my sons Jetta MK4 for years. Over 50MPG and really no issues with it as well (currently out with a heater core leak
).

These numbers work well for folks pulling various trailers or driving longer distances.

The issues come with newer emission diesels. The earlier soot traps were not bad, but as time progressed and the introduction of DEF and various other emission lowering systems were introduced, maintenance costs went up and reliability/economy began to drop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.