JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Future Models & Prototype Discussion (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/)
-   -   Jeep Pickup (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/jeep-pickup-2318201/)

seedsntrees 04-12-2014 08:10 AM

Jeep Pickup

Just when is the pickup going to show up???????

jjvw 04-12-2014 01:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's over a year's worth of speculation...

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f118/...truck-1407791/

Marauder_Pilot 04-13-2014 08:47 AM

As soon as Jeep can make a viable case for it with respect to production capabilities and consumer demand.

So, either pretty soon or never.

nitecop 04-21-2014 10:51 AM

It seems when HEII freezes over,.......or a year after that.

cm75 04-21-2014 03:18 PM

Yet they make an unreliable vehicle, Cherokee, and coming out with the Renegade, which hasn't hit the streets or dare I say trails yet. SMH

WhiteOut 04-21-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cm75 (Post 22314617)
Yet they make an unreliable vehicle, Cherokee, and coming out with the Renegade, which hasn't hit the streets or dare I say trails yet. SMH

Both the Cherokee KL and the Renegade are going to put up great sales numbers. The NA market is going to take full advantage of a small SUV that can put up impressive mileage and still offer 4wd.

A Jeep pickup would have no chance in the market. It wouldn't be near the tow capacities of the Dodge/Chevy/GM competitors and probably offer no meaningful MPG increase (at least not enough to sacrifice capacity).

Marauder_Pilot 04-21-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cm75 (Post 22314617)

How, exactly, is the Cherokee unreliable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteOut (Post 22314793)
Both the Cherokee KL and the Renegade are going to put up great sales numbers. The NA market is going to take full advantage of a small SUV that can put up impressive mileage and still offer 4wd.

A Jeep pickup would have no chance in the market. It wouldn't be near the tow capacities of the Dodge/Chevy/GM competitors and probably offer no meaningful MPG increase (at least not enough to sacrifice capacity).

A Jeep pickup, on a unique platform, has no chance. A Jeep pickup that can share development costs with the Wrangler, yes. But it'll be an extremely niche vehicle.

Butchy_Boy 04-21-2014 08:00 PM

I wish they would take Wrangler and turn it into its own mini brand... You could have the traditional two door, the four door, the 2 door pick up, the 4 door pickup etc etc. Could do a lot with it however only marketing and business intelligence will decide if its worth it.

Marauder_Pilot 04-21-2014 10:21 PM

The problem with that is that Wrangler and Jeep are so tightly intertwined that it'd easier and smarter to split off everything ELSE from Jeep-not that either would be even remotely worth the effort.

Oilburner 04-22-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteOut (Post 22314793)

You are looking at the wrong target market = only a small percentage of current full-size pickup owners would be interested in a Wrangler truck. The actual segment would be the Tacoma/Colorado/Frontier - sized pickups. I think they sold about 500,000 total mid-sized pickups last year. They would probably have to sell 100K units to justify production of a Jeep pickup (much less find production capacity) so the odds are not good of them actually building one. That being said, the chances are probalby better than they have ever been with the next Wrangler refresh. I have been waiting ever since they tortured us with the Gladiator, still waiting. :rolleyes:

Marauder_Pilot 04-22-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilburner (Post 22331825)
I think they sold about 500,000 total mid-sized pickups last year.

That's twice what actually happened. The Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier were the only compact pickups on the market in 2013, and they moved less than 250,000 units combined last year.

That being said, since if the Gladiator is being made, the Wrangler and its assembly line will be designed with its production in mind, lowering the cost of designing and building it substantially. If it's designed and built as just a different layout of the Wrangler, like the Land Rover Defender pickups are done, then it'll only need a few thousand sales a year to pay for itself-a not unreasonable number at all.

That being said, it's going to face some stuff competition in the compact truck market. The new GM compact trucks are coming, with the same diesel the Wrangler and Gladiator may feature (2.8L VM Motori), the Tacoma will be getting refreshed, possibly merging once again with the Hilux and possibly featuring a diesel, and the Frontier will probably be refreshed at that point as well.

Still, given lots of interest and low development costs, the Gladiator isn't a huge obstacle, especially if it's marketed strongly overseas.

Rob K 04-22-2014 06:33 PM

I'm a fan of small trucks, no need for a big one. Living in town and trying to park a big truck would not be much fun. A person can do a lot with a small truck and tow a trailer on occasion if more space is needed. Would love to see a Gladiator. I'm getting sick of talking about it, that's for sure, wish they would make one already. Probably couldn't afford a new one though.

Butchy_Boy 04-22-2014 08:59 PM

Marauder, is the Gladiator confirmed? I haven't seen anything on allpar lately

Marauder_Pilot 04-23-2014 12:20 AM

Confirmed, no, but nothing about the next Wrangler is. It's still all speculation and heresay.

SchizophrenicMC 04-23-2014 09:31 PM

I think if it was designed well enough in advance, it wouldn't significantly add to the cost of the line toolings to build a Jeep pickup based on the Wrangler chassis, like the Defender-series, like Marauder said. However, I don't know there's even enough demand for a Wrangler pickup to justify that.

All I know is, the AEV Brute gets me hot and bothered until I remember the price tag.

The time now is 07:33 PM.