Jeep knockoff made in Detroit? - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 05-26-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep knockoff made in Detroit?

It's been to quiet here lately(sound of crickets). This should kick things in gear. lol

I just came across this Jeep knockoff made in Michigan. Apparently they are in a lawsuit with Fiat because it is too much like a Jeep.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...t-legal-status

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-simil...eep-1823474555

Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra-Roxor-vehicle-truck-off-road-diesel-atv-sema-5.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-26-2019, 09:12 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mahindra Roxor. There's a good reason it's quite like a Jeep, Mahindra has been licensed to build Jeeps since 1947.
https://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-mah...eps-1823472625
downs likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 26 Old 05-27-2019, 03:27 PM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Had a chance to inspect one of these while driving through PA 4 weeks ago. The tractor/farm store had three of these on their lot. I like the over all styling, but don't like how the roll cage is designed, sort of top heavy. I think if anyone was ever remotely interested in this farm vehicle, they should buy a Polaris atv or comparable instead.

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry

post #4 of 26 Old 05-27-2019, 06:18 PM
StrippedTorx

A guy in my area is selling a used one on CL for like 15k. Idk about you but for that price I could buy 15 YJs, consolidate, and have 5 good running farm vehicles.

I’m with the other poster a Polaris or side by side gator old beat up truck would do the job better. But hey if you’ve got that much money, and want a knock off cj5 you’ve got options.
They would probably make more money selling reprop CJ parts lol
post #5 of 26 Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Some of the articles I read said they would like to expand their market toward highway use. That's probably why Fiat is a little uptight. Mahindra might cut into their Jeep sales.
post #6 of 26 Old 05-27-2019, 06:29 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see how they could get any of their CJ-like vehicles to pass modern US safety and crash requirements in order to market them for highway use, at least not without extensive redesign.

Overpriced? Sure, but so are all the side by sides and UTVs in my opinion.
222Doc and downs like this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 26 Old 05-27-2019, 06:30 PM
schardein

1983 CJ7 

When these were first advertised, I thought they might be highway legal. I was considering one when I found out they are marketed as a UTV.

I think Jeep needs another model of the Wrangler, and not a larger one with a bed. A smaller one more like a CJ5 or Suzuki Samurai. If Mihandra goes the street legal route, it would probably fill that gap. Interesting that Fiat is uptight...

1983 CJ7, 5.3, NV3550, D300 4:1, Fr D44 Detroit, Rr D44 OX, 4.56, 35" SSTs on beadlocks
post #8 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 02:30 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Now that we're on the subject of alternate jeeps, I'd like to see this hit the US market. If this 2 door Suzuki truck came to the US, Jeep would rethink the creation of a 2 door also.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Truck II.jpg  

Semi-Retired Sr. Mechanical Assembler & Sr. Quality Assurance Inspector for Aerospace Industry
post #9 of 26 Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Here's an article about the lawsuit. Sounds like things are just getting started since it was ruled that Fiat does have cause to pursue further action.

https://www.autonews.com/blogs/jeep-...-rolls-detroit
post #10 of 26 Old 05-29-2019, 11:04 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it was ruled that Fiat does have cause to pursue further action
I read through it twice to see if I missed something, but the article only says the ITC disagreed with Mahindra's claim that their contract with Chrysler in 2009 still applied in the case of the Roxor, and as such they will not dismiss FCA's case at this time.

I think FCA is actually missing out on an opportunity here. A better response would be to build or partner with somebody to built new CJ2/3-esque vehicles to sell in the UTV market and undercut the Roxor's price.
gspfunk and downs like this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #11 of 26 Old 05-30-2019, 03:54 PM
StrippedTorx

But why buy a new fiat cj2a/3a when you can buy the real deal. A guy in Cleveland just had a 44 on Craigslist w/ hard top ran and drove, been stored inside last 50 years and was only asking 2400. My neighbor bought a gpw with a spare cj2 tub and frame etc with title for 1500$. There are deals to be had if you look. Those Roxors are too expensive for what they are. A cj5 with a kubota diesel basically. You can build a better one for the cost.
post #12 of 26 Old 05-30-2019, 03:56 PM
StrippedTorx

Like I said earlier they would probably make more money making USA made in Detroit reprop parts. I don’t know about you but if I could buy quality oem spec or better USA parts instead of Taiwaphilipenes sub par parts, I would.
post #13 of 26 Old 05-30-2019, 09:44 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
But why buy a new fiat cj2a/3a when you can buy the real deal.
Because there's a larger market that would rather buy something new than put work into fixing something old, and I figured a flat fender would appeal to more folks and be slightly cheaper/easier to make than something with round fenders. The fact there are so many people shelling out stupid amounts of money for side by sides and UTVs attests to my first point. Besides, your example of the CL find is hardly considered normal or even close to average. Most flat fenders I've seen for sale, when they are available, either cost twice that example or more, or they need thousands of dollars in parts and supplies to transform them from a rusted derelict into something drivable that won't give you tetanus just looking at it.

Personally, I like fixing up project vehicles, but that tends to be in the minority nowadays from what I've seen on the trails.
Fourtrail and downs like this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #14 of 26 Old 05-31-2019, 04:13 AM
StrippedTorx

I just came across two cj3as in a private junkyard a few weeks ago. Owner of junkyard died in the 90s. New guy just bought the property and re opened junk yard. Best part was he didn’t even know what they were until I opened my mouth. They both had Myers hardtops even. Also plows with the pumps blade and bracket.
He wanted 5k for the pair. I feel like it’s harder to find a decent condition, reasonablely priced yj around here.

Also I would say the majority of people in the market for a utv want a utv not a knockoff Jeep even if it is brand new.
If you like the Roxor you like Jeeps, and you can buy/build a lot more Jeep with 15k.
Even an old beater 4x4 truck would probably make a better vehicle.

Around here people drive there utv on the street and cops don’t mind as long as you’re not doing something stupid.

Maybe it’s a location thing. North west Ohio farms/land, pales into comparison of your Texas ranches.
post #15 of 26 Old 05-31-2019, 04:40 AM
RubiconFreedom

2017 JK Wrangler 

Put the Roxor beside this jeep on a farmers supply lot, which would you think I'd drive away with..
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in