Electric Jeeps - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-17-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
jeeper23x

Electric Jeeps

I heard a rumor today that in 2022 Jeep will offer a hybrid a plug in hybrid and a full electric on all jeep models. Anybody else heard this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-17-2019, 11:04 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Electric options in the full lineup is the rumour, not necessarily all variations of electric in all models. Several article links are located in the following thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176.../#post40819235

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 14 Old 12-19-2019, 07:19 PM
justlexi93

Hmmm, I feel like it's a hoax but there's a probability in the near future. Also, I am not a fan of e-vehicle.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-11-2020, 05:36 PM
socalsean

It's only a matter of time before Jeep offers an electric option.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2020, 05:31 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It could be this one.

Key point: it's hybrid, NOT full electric. So you always can carry enough fuel. Electric drive can produce huge (and controlled) low speed torque, it's not clear if it's electric through a conventional drive line/axle structure (most likely) but there is great potential for electric motors at the wheels, each controlled independently (like in the Liebherr mining trucks). Applying different torque to each wheel can be useful offroad.

https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/fia...rooms-end-2020

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #6 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 05:46 AM
aglemped

I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlexi93 View Post
Hmmm, I feel like it's a hoax but there's a probability in the near future. Also, I am not a fan of e-vehicle.
Me too. I can't imagine a Jeep running on electricity.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 08:34 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Electric drive off road. Very high startup torque, which can be quickly moderated if wheel begins to slip.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vZ1QkKk2iEg/maxresdefault.jpg

This ain't no Prius

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #8 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 01:51 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
It could be this one.

Key point: it's hybrid, NOT full electric. So you always can carry enough fuel. Electric drive can produce huge (and controlled) low speed torque, it's not clear if it's electric through a conventional drive line/axle structure (most likely) but there is great potential for electric motors at the wheels, each controlled independently (like in the Liebherr mining trucks). Applying different torque to each wheel can be useful offroad.

https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/fia...rooms-end-2020
I really don't see them going away from the conventional driveline/axle setup due to the added costs and complexity this would introduce on the existing production line. Gut feeling tells me they'll most likely stick with the current 2.0L offering as the basis for their hybrid, as suggested in the linked article. I believe varying torque at each wheel is already done via selective brake application through the ABS system.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #9 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 03:03 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
I really don't see them going away from the conventional driveline/axle setup due to the added costs and complexity this would introduce on the existing production line. Gut feeling tells me they'll most likely stick with the current 2.0L offering as the basis for their hybrid, as suggested in the linked article. I believe varying torque at each wheel is already done via selective brake application through the ABS system.
Basically that is probably right. Cost will be a factor which is why I expected the conventional diveline setup for now. In the long run though, torque control via motors would have a lot more precision. The Lordstown pickup truck is rumored to have a separate motor in each wheel, kind of radical by today's standards. See what happens.

At any rate, pure battery drive is a real potential weakness, batteries just don't have anywhere near the energy density of chemical fuels. Offroad, overlanding, that is a problem.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #10 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 03:19 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
The execution of the system is pure FIAT POS. In Jl 2.0. Unlike the fuel tank opposite side that can flex when the skid intrudes in to the poly tank. Lipo will not flex if your skid intrudes, burst a lipo pack it tends to go up in smoke. Its closeness to the fuel is another known issue they had before they even made it to lots.

Its not that it can not be done well. Issue is they just toss it in with not much real thought. Sure on street its fine. Off road in time lets see what happens. I know my Jks tank skid is intruded like 2+ inches all along the bottom, poor mans belly up..............

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 05:05 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

@222Doc
Hopefully they'll install a more substantial skid for the hybrid battery pack, but of course one can hope in one hand and...

Like the majority of Wrangler purchasers these days, I doubt many would take their 4xe offroad and fewer still of those will actually drive one on a trail where smashing the battery is likely.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #12 of 14 Old 08-15-2020, 09:22 AM
koey85

everything is trending electric, just look at Ford. It won't have the same feel though. Hope the future will also offer combustion engines too, not just electric.
post #13 of 14 Old Today, 12:44 PM
TheGreatSzalam

They announced a plugin Hybrid Jeep on their site. It's up now (my account is too new to post links but it's jeep dot com /wrangler-4xe.html )
0-60 in 6 seconds
375 horsepower
470 pound-feet of instant torque

I just want to turn it to all-electric mode when I'm moseying through the forest with doors and roof off.
post #14 of 14 Old Today, 04:44 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatSzalam View Post
They announced a plugin Hybrid Jeep on their site. It's up now (my account is too new to post links but it's jeep dot com /wrangler-4xe.html )
0-60 in 6 seconds
375 horsepower
470 pound-feet of instant torque

I just want to turn it to all-electric mode when I'm moseying through the forest with doors and roof off.
The important thing here is that it has an engine as well. No need for ridiculously large batteries (Tesla S battery is something like 1200 lbs and costs like 25K to replace as of a couple years ago) and you can always carry extra fuel for overlanding (unlike a pure electric)

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in