XJ shaking between 50 and 60 mph. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-17-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Livewire94
2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ shaking between 50 and 60 mph.

This may have been asked before but here it goes. What can cause the following symptoms? My STOCK 2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4 starts shaking at 50 mph and stops shaking over 60 mph. I had this xj for 2 years now. when I bought it the steering wheel was crooked when driving straight and it had this shake in it, so I had it aligned and tires rotated and the shaking went away but not completely and now its getting worse again.

When doing 55mph and I go on the brake the shaking is twice as bad until I slow downt to about 40mph or so. I had rotated my tires but it still shakes at those speeds so Im thinking its the tires out of balance but am not sure if it could also be an alignment problem. My steering seems to have some play in it while driving and when steering left in a smooth parking lot, my front tires squeal. The steering doesn't pull or drift on a straight even road.

I replaced the swaybar bushings, shocks, ball joints, brakepads and brake rotors, and steering stabilizer within a year so I know those parts are good. I also just had a state inspection so my tie rod ends should be good. I went over everything in the front end and it all seems tight. Not sure how to tell if the control arm bushings are bad but I can't move them side to side, just twist very little.

Anyone think its just the tires out of balance or could it also be bad alignment or maybe even a bad rim?

Thanks in advance.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 PM
TheInstaller

Could be a bad trackbar.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-17-2007, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Livewire94
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How can you tell if the trackbar is bad? I tried to tighten it but its already very tight and it does not move at all.

Forgot to post that my 2000 xj has 94,000 miles on it.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM
mpwal099

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Most often, vibes at those speeds are cause by a balance issue in your tires. If you haven't had them balanced recently get that done and if you have done any driving on a muddy road check your wheels for any mud that may have packed into it causing it to be out of balance.

When I die and go to heaven I hope the first thing God says to me is "The bar is right this way."
post #5 of 11 Old 05-17-2007, 06:40 PM
joedsh

My Cherokee is also stock. I recently had this problem, vibration in steering between 50-55 mph. I took my XJ in for an alignment, and was told it didn't need it. The tech showed me my tires while it was on the lift and I could see the tire's tread moving up and down while it was running. I got new tires and the problem was solved.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-17-2007, 07:21 PM
bee guz

It, could be a bad tire,a broken belt inside the cords, but when you step on the brake it has to be a bad rotor, if you had the tires balanced someone should have seen a bad wheel, if there were one, I say mostly a bad tire, if the frontend is tight, did you check the trackbar bushing, if a tire is the least bit out, and the trackbar bushing is bad it will shake..

I would say have the tires high speed balanced, the front only, if a car shakes between 45 to 55 is always the front, after 65 it;s usually the back, but you feel it more in your seat, with the back...

I would start there, if you had purchased a lifetime balance, take it back, make sure they high speed balance.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-18-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Livewire94
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the replies, I will try having the tires balanced again. How can you tell if the Trackbar is ok? It seems tight cant move it.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire94
This may have been asked before but here it goes. What can cause the following symptoms? My STOCK 2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4 starts shaking at 50 mph and stops shaking over 60 mph.
Don't drive between 50 and 60?

Have the alignment and a front end inspection done. Could be a bunch of things, bad bearings, bad ball joints, bad alignment, warped rotors, bent axle...

Derpy Hooves for President in 2012
post #9 of 11 Old 05-22-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Livewire94
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update: Changed out brake rotors and all is good so far. Tires are slightly off balance yet but doesn't cause the shaking I was experiencing. Tires are wearing evenly so alignment must be ok. Rotors where warped. Thanks for all the replies.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 05:21 AM
JONNYROCKET
2000 XJ Cherokee 

dont like bumping this old of a thread but i got a thread up called why you shaking ive been experiencing alot of the thing said in the original post in my 2000 XJ
post #11 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 AM
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
My understanding of “death wobble” is this. Somewhere in the vehicle, one or more components is worn beyond tolerances, and when oscillation initiates from a suspension “traumatic” event (hitting a bump or a pothole) or also when a vibration reaches a certain point and harmonic at a certain speed, it causes the other components to react. This is called the “multiplier effect”, where one component affects one or more other components as the event travels through the front end of the vehicle.

Death wobble is not uncommon with the XJ. It is even more common with a lifted XJ. Finding the worn component or components is not always easy. It can sometimes be downright difficult. Sometimes it’s obvious, other times everything appears to be okay when you perform an inspection on a hoist, but getting the vehicle up in the air and going over everything with a fine tough comb is always a good first step. It is very helpful if you know exactly how to perform a comprehensive inspection of every single front end part, looking for abnormal wear and or play in that hardware. If you do not know how to do this type of inspection, pay an experienced professional to do it. Be sure to ask them if they are familiar with “death wobble”, as not all technicians are versed in this…..

Check out the below link if you would like some extensive reading on “death wobble” causes and cures. From my research, Kevin (the author of this tutorial) is possibly the best in the business with tracking down root cause of death wobble. He does offer hardware for sale that can help resolve death wobble, but even if you don’t buy any parts from him, you can still get some excellent ideas on what to look at in resolving your death wobble.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/how-to-...-death-wobble/

Possible causes of death wobble are listed below. Isolating death wobble is a process of elimination and the root cause is not always obvious and it can often be caused by a combination of things! From my personal experience, I would first concentrate on the track bar and the control arms and associated bushings.
--------------------------------------------------------
-Front tires out of balance (try swapping fronts to rear; see if symptoms change)
-Tire pressure. Don’t laugh. It’s not a root cause but can exaggerate the problem. Experiment with lower tire pressure to see if it helps
-Improper lug nut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar (check for play!!)
-Bad control arms and associated bushings
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box loose
-Bad front hub assembly

99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in