4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1051 of 1060 Old 08-13-2016, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan96xj View Post
Blue,

Wanted to tell you that I started researching after we exchanged posts last week. But my wife beat us to it (even though I hadn't mentioned the Jeep needing a stereo to her). For my birthday, she got short on ideas, and literally walked up to a Jeep owner in a Sears parking lot and told him that she had a husband that -loved- his Jeep and wondered if he had any ideas about what a Jeep guy would like. The guy recommended she think about a stereo - if I hadn't already upgraded it.

So she went with the idea and ended up at Best Buy and the sales person there basically steered her towards a good bang-for-the-buck stereo (KDC-BT365U). It is 50Wx4 with I think 22Wx4 RMS just like you recommended. And they sent her away with the appropriate harness adapter. So she basically had everything I needed. The install was smooth as glass because of the harness adapter. I'm not a huge Best Buy fan, but it seems they did good by her. I was able to use the factory hanger, just drilled the holes a bit and swapped decks.

It has the multi-device bluetooth, phone, usb, microphone, type features. All of which worked pretty smoothly when I tried them out tonight.

The only tough part was that it was about 95 today with about 90% humidity. So working on internals was a bit miserable. But worth it in the end.

I have a pair of JBL 5.25s (GTO529) coming tomorrow for the fronts. As you recommended. They weren't the cheapest nor most expensive JBLs, but they got good reviews on Amazon. If I like them I'll add 2 more for the rears overhead sound bar.

The last time I installed a stereo, I was a teenager. It was pretty cool getting it to work on the first try, and then taking it on a test drive tonight.

Thanks for the help!

I'm glad it worked out for you! I've been using kenwood units for ages and they're always good to me. If you get the bug and want a sub let us know. Clearly this thread has members that can suggest anything from a super-small bottom end reinforcement up to sin wave games.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1060 Old 08-14-2016, 08:28 PM
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
null
Im just trying to drop some knowledge Chris, Jesus.
post #1053 of 1060 Old 08-14-2016, 09:50 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry bud it's time to let that one go and move on.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1054 of 1060 Old 08-22-2016, 08:58 PM
jordan96xj

1996 XJ Cherokee 

bluejunior,

One last follow up. I put the JBL GTO529 in the overhead sound bar instead (because they were in the worst shape, so were the first to be replaced). Then last weekend followed them up by replacing the front door speakers with Alpine SPS-510. I will say that if one doesn't skimp on the 5.25s, you can have a pretty bang'n setup even without an amp or sub. Maybe I'm just used to the way it was, but it sounds excellent, thumps nicely, and is WAY louder than I would ever need it be. Definitely didn't break the bank when all was said and done. (About $260 all together - deck/$100, JBL/$70, Alpine/$90).

(though not into car audio, I owned a recording studio, did a lot of recording/playback and worked with a lot of gear and configurations, I mention that so that when I say it sounds excellent, it's a bit more qualified).

Things I keep around that help fix Jeeps:
AeroKroil and Fluid Film
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool and Torque Pro OBD2 App for Android
Etekcity MSR-P600 Digital Multimeter
Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch + MAP Gas
1/2 inch sockets, Breaker, Cheater Pipe, and BFH
post #1055 of 1060 Old 08-22-2016, 09:10 PM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
bluejunior,

One last follow up. I put the JBL GTO529 in the overhead sound bar instead (because they were in the worst shape, so were the first to be replaced). Then last weekend followed them up by replacing the front door speakers with Alpine SPS-510. I will say that if one doesn't skimp on the 5.25s, you can have a pretty bang'n setup even without an amp or sub. Maybe I'm just used to the way it was, but it sounds excellent, thumps nicely, and is WAY louder than I would ever need it be. Definitely didn't break the bank when all was said and done. (About $260 all together - deck/$100, JBL/$70, Alpine/$90).

(though not into car audio, I owned a recording studio, did a lot of recording/playback and worked with a lot of gear and configurations, I mention that so that when I say it sounds excellent, it's a bit more qualified).
It seems odd that you chose two different brands of speakers. Maybe while they're both in good shape you could use the fader to figure out which brand is actually giving you the sound you like best. Then when replacement time comes around you'll have a better idea of what you'd like to purchase.

D3<!L!>3D
post #1056 of 1060 Old 08-22-2016, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
It seems odd that you chose two different brands of speakers. Maybe while they're both in good shape you could use the fader to figure out which brand is actually giving you the sound you like best. Then when replacement time comes around you'll have a better idea of what you'd like to purchase.
I've mixed and matched a few times before. It kind of depends on speaker location but, in an XJ for example, you can put something very heavy in midbass in the front doors and something with a clearer upper midrange and treble in the soundbar, since with a little fade and a pivoting or remote tweeter it's easy to point them straight at your head for full on-axis response and the doors are your only chance for subless midbass anyway. Kind of a preference thing though. That doesn't have that very forward sound stage a lot of people like to use to pretend like they're standing in front of a stage at a concert.

If you're looking at quality components with a good crossover and EQ available that's really not necessary, but I've done that sort of thing with with budget builds using entry level stuff before. Usually it's in i speaker per door compacts and suv's and I put a dedicated midbass in the rear doors and something full range in the front, for as much low end reinforcement as possible without a second sub, but that's not my rides.

post #1057 of 1060 Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
bluejunior,

As long as you're happy, glad it worked out for you!

post #1058 of 1060 Old 08-23-2016, 06:15 AM
jordan96xj

1996 XJ Cherokee 

The process of picking different speakers up front was very scientific. My wife was about to run errands in town, and asked if I needed anything picked up. The Alpine speakers were the only decent 5.25 speaker that the local best buy had on the shelf, so I cross checked it with Amazon reviews and saw that everyone was pretty happy with them. So I pulled the trigger, because I knew I would have a couple of free hours to install them the next morning. Nothing was left to chance. Lol.

I decided to make a youtube how-to video for the front speaker swap (trying to give back for all of the good videos that have helped me).

Things I keep around that help fix Jeeps:
AeroKroil and Fluid Film
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool and Torque Pro OBD2 App for Android
Etekcity MSR-P600 Digital Multimeter
Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch + MAP Gas
1/2 inch sockets, Breaker, Cheater Pipe, and BFH
post #1059 of 1060 Old 08-23-2016, 07:36 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I was just wondering. I'm kinda OCD about things anyway, just uniformity I guess. I have no room to talk really. I have a pair of Alpine S 5.25 in the sound bar and Walmart Pioneers in the doors. I'd bought the Pioneers for the ZJ not realizing it needs 6.5"s. So the wife's b-day present became mine. I don't put much sound to the front stage. The screaming in my face got old after my last divorce, so the Pioneers aren't really doing much.

D3<!L!>3D
post #1060 of 1060 Old 09-13-2017, 03:27 PM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Thumbs up Your picture

Hey, so what is that in the left of the picture, a tablet? Can you tell me more about it? How is it setup? How can it read your gauges?

First Jeep was an 1989 YJ, I've also had a Grand Cherokee. Currently, I have a 99 XJ.

Tags
audio , audio components , jeep xj sound , sound system , stereo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in