• 1 Post By Fourspeedman
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-30-2021, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
ski4by

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
XJ Radiator

Need to replaced the radiator on my 2000 XJ. It's beginning to run too warm under very hot conditions with a/c on and 100 degree ambient temps. Does anyone have any experience with Multi core all aluminum radiators. I see a ton of them out there. I know there is a debate about single vs. multi core radiators. Has anyone out there used them and what results are you having.

Dave D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-30-2021, 08:54 AM
kerian159
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
just out of curiosity have you replaced the Clutch Fan yet? I was having similar issues with my '98 and only had to replace the fan to bring things back under control.

"Growing Older, but not Up"
post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
ski4by

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Yeah I did, a few weeks ago. waisted my money. Should have done the test and verified before replacing it. But ,it was twenty years old and I was lazy. Both fans are working. I also took the shroud off the other day, got it hot and the temp across the entire Radiator was pretty uniform. I may try disconnecting it and back flushing it. I'm also goin to take the pump off and have a look inside to see if there is anything in the block. I've had it since new and am a nut when it comes to fluids so I can't believe there is anything in there but I'll have a look. Got to get to the bottom of this. It doesn't overheat but it is starting to run a few degrees warmer the normal. This happened once before and it ended up being the cooling fins on the outside of the radiator had all rotted away. No leaks it just couldn't keep up anymore. I don't have that going on but the temp is starting to act the same way. Problem is it's been 100 degrees like forever this summer so far. I am also running a 3 row radiator.

Dave D.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 05:14 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I went with the copper/ brass ones from Summit Racing.
waywayway too many stories about the aluminum ones cracking.
I can fix copper brass.

Now there are those here that insist that the original Mopar ones are the absolute best to go with and they may be right.

I just went old school cause I have been able to fix all my tractor ones to date.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2021, 09:07 PM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I’ve used the brass CFS with excellent results for the last 15 years in different XJs

Ron
Wyo likes this.

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #6 of 9 Old 08-03-2021, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
ski4by

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Yeah there is a three row copper/brass unit in it right now. I've heard stories about using the single row original type as well. This one replaced the original one about 6/7 years ago. It was an upgrade from the vender we were using at the shop I worked for at the time. They had sent me a damaged one and when I called to tell them the guy there was apologetic and sent me an upgrade. Truth be told I never saw a difference in the cooling system performance at all one way or the other.

I removed the pump last night and the inside of the block is clean as a whistle. I could get in pretty much all the way back with a small light/mirror and there is no debris of any kind. Going to do the same with the radiator as well as flow test it today. Pump is solid, new clutch fan and thermostat, clean system, (If the radiator checks out). Electric fan comes on. Maybe I need to cough up twenty five bucks or so and replace the temp sensor and be sure I'm actually seeing what I'm seeing.
retrvrtrainer and Wyo like this.

Dave D.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-04-2021, 08:50 AM
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

FWIW the general consensus for XJ's is that the stock Mopar radiator is just about as good as it gets. The multi core, all metal, aftermarket rads have various opinions from the community, but bottom line is you won't do much better than stock in terms of cooling capacity and longevity.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-04-2021, 06:21 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

When my daughter bought the '00 XJ it was starting to overheat. I did the water pump, thermostat, back-flushed, nothing helped. Then I did the CASCADE dishwasher cleaner treatment. WOWSERS did it clean everything out. In fact it cleaned so well, the radiator soon leaked. I was pressed for time so I just ordered the mid-priced SPECTRE aluminum replacement radiator from RockAuto for around $100. It runs cool and has lasted 10 years now.
Wyo likes this.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
post #9 of 9 Old 08-04-2021, 10:15 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

The only thing you have not done is change the radiator cap. Mine looked fine but proved to be an issue, a genuine Mopar cap was not expensive. Not saying it is at fault, but you have done so much already......
Wyo likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in