XJ front hitch receiver - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 05-10-2021, 07:07 PM
superj

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I did something hing very similar on my old Nissan frontier. Got a new universal hitch in the clearance aisle at Walmart for 25 bucks but no hardware. Used left over stuff from other hitch kits and it worked great

the xj is the only jeep left in the driveway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 05-11-2021, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The parts came to $19.49 on Fleabay. That is what I submitted to RockAuto. A refund to my PayPal was $19.49. But the RA refund spelled out the Fleabay invoice amount of $17.50 + 1.59 = 19.49. HUH?!? How did they know? Is Big Brother watching?!?

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
post #18 of 28 Old 05-11-2021, 02:40 PM
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have that installed on my 00 XJ and use for recovery points as well as a winch on a plate since I don't want a winch on 24/7. Worked well winching people out and myself out. Only thing was cutting holes in the air dam for the recovery point loops.

post #19 of 28 Old 05-11-2021, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I never do that kind of stuff so I think I will leave the loops in the dam alone. I cut the hole for the hitch and the loops are hidden right behind the dam. "If needed", the dam bends up out of the way no problem.
superj likes this.

post #20 of 28 Old 05-11-2021, 06:03 PM
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeedman View Post
I never do that kind of stuff so I think I will leave the loops in the dam alone. I cut the hole for the hitch and the loops are hidden right behind the dam. "If needed", the dam bends up out of the way no problem.
Yup, if you need the front as a recovery point just get a D ring shackle, seen them as cheap as $20. I keep one under the back seat for the rear receiver just in case.
post #21 of 28 Old 05-12-2021, 08:14 AM
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Also, last thing, since you are in NYC the D ring in the front will greatly influence people bumping into you when parallel parking.
post #22 of 28 Old 05-12-2021, 11:21 AM
phantomrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Dorman is hit or miss. China. But they have came up with repair stuff that well its better then were ever jeep has stuff made right now. Like say that issue with 3.6s that as well kinda became an orphan. 13 or so and older 3.6 the issue is the the spring built into the oil filter area that is kinda a anti back flow valve. Its part of the whole assembly, just like a new one right now. Those first design that sprig retains its self in the thinnest pastic one might create , they tended to fall apart when removing the oil cap the spring might fly out. Later designs the unit cracks< never addressed yet. Dorman makes a repair for the older design 3.6 that is low cost and snaps right where it breaks off what 20$ and easy pezzy or take the whole Intake off plenum to even get to it.

Dorman just came out with an Alloy version of the 3.6s coolant cross over pipe. Stock is plastic. Now if they would do the thermostats house that bolts to that in alloy? should wont cost much more and would be built proof where you need it like cooling. Now this stuff is made in China, but compared to stock. Yea so where is that something can made worse? Just so i know...
I've had some hits with Dorman, but mostly misses. An example are the coolant elbows for the General Motors 3800 engine. Dorman makes some aluminum ones, which is great. BUT THEY PUT THE WRONG SIZE FRICKEN O-RINGS ON THEM AND THEY STILL DON'T SEAL!!!!!!!

The early 2000's era civics--its not uncommon for the hood release handle to break. So, it calls for a new handle/cable assembly and Dorman makes one. It works good until you have to do that 180 degree turn near the hood latch. The cable doesn't operate smoothly when bending it in such a radius but the original 15 year old Honda one does. You can open the hood, but the cable won't retract. So, I heat up the the dorman handle, pull the plastic off of it and melt it onto the original Honda cable.

If I sat here and thought about it enough, I could write a book about how Dorman has failed me.

The Ford 4.6 intake manifolds-- Or was it the 5.4? Anyway, there are unused coolant ports on that aluminum crossover pipe that you simply plug off with their included rubber caps, WHICH TURN OUT TO BE UNSUITABLE FOR PRESSURE APPLICATIONS.

Anyway, I'll stop now. On a positive note, I replaced a severely cracked up exhaust manifold on an Equinox with a Dorman unit. I bought it, replaced it, and when I was done with it and showing the customer the old one, BAM! A big gigantic Dorman logo on the old one. Which I returned and got my money back for it.
post #23 of 28 Old 05-12-2021, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlaxl View Post
Also, last thing, since you are in NYC the D ring in the front will greatly influence people bumping into you when parallel parking.
Hey, with a hitch ball sticking out ten inches on the front and back- let em' hit me!!!!

post #24 of 28 Old 05-18-2021, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

All done. Just a heads-up: the CURT instructions were very, very, wrong. First, they wanted 1/2" spacers under the front where you must drill a 1/2" hole. I went and made spacers and they caused the hitch to not sit flat to the frame. They also made the hitch point downward. By removing the spacers the hitch sat nice and flat along the frame like it should. And since I didn't need the spacers, I also didn't need the long grade 8 carriage bolts I had to order. The short ones left over from the rear hitch would have worked fine. Then, Curt says to fish those bolts and washers in through the frame. Yeah, right. On the pass side I was able to cut open an existing hole to get the bolt and washer through. Then I pulled them into place with the fish-wire without much drama. BUT. On the driver side- I tried the same thing. But something kept snagging the parts. I finally cut an access hole right in front of where the 1/2" hole got drilled. That is when I saw that there is a reinforcing bracket for the PS box inside the frame. NOTHING is getting past it. That was so in the way I still had a hard time getting the bolt into position even when the new hole was only an inch away. So after that nightmare I bolted up the hitch with the 1/2" bolts with the flange head nuts. Then I replaced the sway bar, new bushings, and new end links. The sway bar bolts also attach the hitch. It all fell into place OK without the spacers. I cut a hole in the air dam and the hitch sticks out just right. The hoops are hidden behind the air dam. All this was a major headache but now I am very happy. It even looks cool.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0124.jpg   IMG_0128.jpg   IMG_0130.jpg  
superj likes this.

post #25 of 28 Old 05-19-2021, 11:27 AM
phantomrt

I remember fishing the bolts through but I do not remember any unusual difficulty in doing so. Hmm. Never rely on brain to remember stuff. I'm glad you got it done. I don't use my front hitch often, but when I do....
superj likes this.
post #26 of 28 Old 05-22-2021, 04:33 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

You can also get a Curt license plate mount, for your front receiver.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 28 Old 05-27-2021, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Today I launched the boat. It's just a 15ft Whaler but it's a swell fishing machine. There were cars parked in my way at the sneak spot but having the front hitch made it EZPZ. I should have done this years ago! What a pleasure to do it that way! I even had an audience, the Dockmaster and some fellow boaters where waiting to see the front hitch in action. They were not disappointed. I pushed the boat right around the cars and angled it in easy as can be. If ANYONE has trouble with backing a trailer down a ramp- you gotta try this.
superj likes this.

post #28 of 28 Old 05-28-2021, 08:52 AM
superj

1999 XJ Cherokee 

works great on small mower trailers and rvs, too. that's what i used the one on my wrangler for
Fourspeedman likes this.

the xj is the only jeep left in the driveway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in