XJ Fender Retainer Fix (easy write-up) - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-26-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
fallsight
2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Fender Retainer Fix (easy write-up)

I didn't find much regarding this, so sorry if it has been posted before. Also if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.

So, one of the fender flares on my XJ came off, and when I tried to remove the retainers to put the flare back on, EVERY SINGLE bolt broke off. This is a simple fix as opposed to going to a junkyard and possibly breaking the bolts off those ones too.

What you need: your old fender flare retainers, drill & bits, bolts, nuts & washers (I used 1/4" with 7/16" head), JB Weld, wrench/ratchet.

First off, I had some extra time at work one day, so I started off by taking a hand grinder and cutting off the broken bolts. Then I used the table top grinder/wire wheel to grind down the rest of the bolts and take off some of the rust. Then I spray painted them with a coat of black paint to help prevent future rust. I didn't get any pictures of this step because I was at work.

Here you can see the ground down parts where the bolts were.

And here you can see the heads of the old bolts. We'll be drilling right through these.

I started by drilling smaller holes right through the middle of where all the old bolts were to help guide the larger bit so it doesn't get off track. Then I drilled the larger holes through the smaller ones. Don't worry about them being perfect or looking pretty, no one is going to see them but you. As long as the holes are relatively close to centered.

Small holes:

Large holes:

As I said, I drilled right through the old bolt head, adds more reinforcement for the new bolts. All I had on hand was a small 16v Black & Decker drill, so this part actually took a while. Most of you guys will probably have it easier.

Next, I put the bolts through the holes, along with the nuts and washers, this will help keep it tight while out JB Weld dries. I found some 1/4" bolts with 7/16" heads lying around work, and they worked just fine, though I probably wouldn't go much bigger, if any. Don't quite tighten them all the way yet, only about this far:

Then put on your JB Weld under and around the head of the bolt, and tighten them up.

Let them dry overnight, then remove the nuts and washers, so we have this:

Then attach them back onto your fender flares.

Now we're ready to put them back on! You took them off, so you know how they go back on. Remember, your fix doesn't have to look pretty, it won't be seen. As long as the retainers hold the fender flare and the bolts are pretty straight, you're good to go. Just guide the bolts through the holes on the Jeep, then put the nuts and washers on on the other side. If your nuts are large enough, you don't NEED washers, but why not? Here's mine:

Before:

After:

And there we have it, fixed fender flares. This is a simple write up, but not everyone knows how to fix things,so hopefully it helps someone out at some point. I'm really new here, but I thought I would contribute something.

Have fun guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 PM
mschi772

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsight View Post
If your nuts are large enough, you don't NEED washers
Words to live by.

Build Thread -- https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #3 of 22 Old 04-26-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
fallsight
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Words to live by.
Yeah, I realized how that sounded right after I typed it, and that's exactly why I left it worded that way. Haha.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-26-2016, 06:35 PM
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the forum and nicely detailed write up..
Words to live by indeed lol
post #5 of 22 Old 04-26-2016, 06:54 PM
shooptube
Big Brother

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Large nuts > washers X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
I am Moar low.
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-26-2016, 10:48 PM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm about to dive into this project on my flares, but they're in perfectly good shape. I'm just removing them to do a striping project and want the ends of the vinyl under the flares.

D3<!L!>3D
post #7 of 22 Old 04-27-2016, 01:54 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did something similiar to my rears on my '00 awhile back. The part I circled I took to a bench grinder. Wear it down wafer thin. Put it on a piece of wood, that side down, and hit the broken stud with a hammer. This will push the part a I circled out a little more to be able to grind it more. At this point you will be able to fish out what is left with a crappy screwdriver. Bought the following for each hole:
1 Bolt - M5x0.8X25 Hex Cap Screw 8.8
2 Nut - M5x0.8 Hex Nut
2 Lock Washer - 5mm
2 Flat Washer - M5
1 Flat Washer - 5/32 x 7/8
Take the bolt and small flat washer stick it in the bracket. Put on a small washer, lock washer, and a nut. Tighten good. Do the rest. Attach the fender flare. Put it on the Jeep. Take the big washer, lock washer, and another nut. Tighten. Once you get the hang of grinding you can whack out both brackets, on a fender flare, in about 5 minutes. It cost me about $6 to fix all the broken studs on my 2 rear fender flares.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160411_130357541_zps3imnkfnp.jpg  
post #8 of 22 Old 05-02-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
fallsight
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
Did something similiar to my rears on my '00 awhile back. The part I circled I took to a bench grinder. Wear it down wafer thin. Put it on a piece of wood, that side down, and hit the broken stud with a hammer. This will push the part a I circled out a little more to be able to grind it more. At this point you will be able to fish out what is left with a crappy screwdriver. Bought the following for each hole:
1 Bolt - M5x0.825 Hex Cap Screw 8.8
2 Nut - M5x0.8 Hex Nut
2 Lock Washer - 5mm
2 Flat Washer - M5
1 Flat Washer - 5/32 x 7/8
Take the bolt and small flat washer stick it in the bracket. Put on a small washer, lock washer, and a nut. Tighten good. Do the rest. Attach the fender flare. Put it on the Jeep. Take the big washer, lock washer, and another nut. Tighten. Once you get the hang of grinding you can whack out both brackets, on a fender flare, in about 5 minutes. It cost me about $6 to fix all the broken studs on my 2 rear fender flares.
Yeah, I see how that would work as well. Two different methods of reaching the same end goal. I did it the way I did because of what I had on hand and I wasn't exactly in a hurry. Mine is still holding up well despite bad wheel rubbing because of the crappy leaf springs I just replaced.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-03-2016, 01:38 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsight View Post
Yeah, I see how that would work as well. Two different methods of reaching the same end goal. I did it the way I did because of what I had on hand and I wasn't exactly in a hurry. Mine is still holding up well despite bad wheel rubbing because of the crappy leaf springs I just replaced.
Exactly. I was not in a hurry either. As matter of fact I over thought the death out of this to come up with my solution. Spent a lot of time in front of the nuts and bolts bins to come up with this. Documented it as best I could for future use. Maybe this would work for my front fender flares if they ever have to come off? My main concern was that everything (bolts, nuts, washers, and lock washers) were small enough to fit through the holes in the body. I have to remove one of the rear fender flares soon to get a little painting done. Will see then how my idea holds up on removal.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-20-2021, 02:46 PM
Nelivesey

Hi I’m just about to embark on this and have been thinking about the nuts and bolt method. I just wondered, does it not matter that the retaining bracket no longer sits flush with the front quarter panel? I assume the contact point would now be the head of a nut against the panel rather than the retaining bracket? The nut that is keeping the bolt secure to the retaining bracket. Or perhaps I’m confused?

If you have any pictures or diagrams that be ace. The JB weld makes sense to me as the retaining bracket would still sit flush to the fender panel.

Maybe the extra, new, nut head doesn’t make much of a difference and the flare still sits flush with the front quarter panel okay?
post #11 of 22 Old 02-20-2021, 02:55 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think I know why you think the retaining bracket will not sit flat against the quarter panel.
Cause of the small washer, lock washer, and nut behind the retainer.
But it will. At least for the rears.
Cause all of that is small enough to fit through the hole in the quarter panel.
And the big washer with the small hole is what keeps it from pulling through when you bolt it to the Jeep.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-20-2021, 08:00 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

We had wheels with too wide a backspacing on the '01. That made the wheels knock the flares right off both sides. My Son-In-Law lamented that the whole retainer needed to be replaced. Now I can tell him how to fix it on the cheap. THANX!!

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
post #13 of 22 Old 02-21-2021, 05:02 PM
UKXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Location: The Smoke, The English Riviera - or somewhere in between
Garage
When one of my front flares came off when it got a bit too close to the scenery I found it'd only been held on by about 4" of retainer - so the studs shearing off was the least of my problems.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Now I just had a front flare come off. The bottom screw was the only thing keeping it on the vehicle. Most of the bolts broke getting the retainer off. One of the retainers is obsolete and the other is $30 after shipping. I will fix them instead. I just have to decide which process will work on the front.

post #15 of 22 Old 08-03-2021, 07:28 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

No good on the nuts as they interfere with the body. So epoxy it is. I scrounged some stainless screws from my boat box. After grinding down the broken bolts I drilled holes right through the welded heads. I left the heads on for more strength. I use a "five minute epoxy" Harbor Fright sells. It firms up in five minutes so you don't have to wait all day as it drips. It still needs all night to cure but it stays put while it does that. The epoxy leaked down the threads and froze the nuts so I broke the nuts loose after the epoxy got pretty hard, but not fully cured yet. What are those push nuts that are on the ends of some of the bolts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in