Wondering How Guys Have Handled Removing Old Battery Cables For The Upgrade Mod - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-26-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wondering How Guys Have Handled Removing Old Battery Cables For The Upgrade Mod

When you guys have been upgrading your battery cables wondering how you have been removing the old cables?
Jeep in question is an '00 XJ.

Been wondering if you could cut off an end and pull it out of the loom leaving what you are not replacing intact.
Then just run the new cables separate from the original harness.
Thinking it is wrapped to tight and they will not pull through.

Maybe you guys are just cutting them off as close the loom as possible leaving what is left in there.
Then just routing the new cables separate.

Maybe you are going through all the trouble of unwrapping the harness and then rewrapping it with the new cables inside.

Obviously the goal is to do a clean looking install.
At least as clean as possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-27-2019, 01:36 PM
75SV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
When you guys have been upgrading your battery cables wondering how you have been removing the old cables?
Jeep in question is an '00 XJ.

Been wondering if you could cut off an end and pull it out of the loom leaving what you are not replacing intact.
Then just run the new cables separate from the original harness.
Thinking it is wrapped to tight and they will not pull through.

Maybe you guys are just cutting them off as close the loom as possible leaving what is left in there.
Then just routing the new cables separate.

Maybe you are going through all the trouble of unwrapping the harness and then rewrapping it with the new cables inside.

Obviously the goal is to do a clean looking install.
At least as clean as possible.
I've done two. I remember I unwrapped them, then rewrapped them. I tried to use new plastic loom. I don't think I had a large enough diameter loom for the wires near the battery. I might have taken two pieces, one from each side. I did have a problem with one of the connections to the starter. The factory has a plastic angle piece there. I remember hacking into it. I'll see if I can look at it tonight.
I can't remember if I used electrical tape or the cloth type friction tape or a combo of them. I think I wrapped the wires together, then put on the electrical loom. Then wrapped tape around the loom every so many inches, say 6.
I did make my own cables. I followed one of the write-ups. Possibly I used marine grade wire. Also, used one of the Chinese made wire crimpers. Once I figured out what crimping blocks to use, it worked OK.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-28-2019, 12:27 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

When I did mine I had to re-use the bracket at the starter by bending it open and hoping not to break it. That went well. Then had to do the same attaching the 4awg cable to the pdc. Other than that, my wiring isn't laid out anywhere near stock.

D3<!L!>3D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in