Wiring up LEDs for the JCR quarter guards with integrated tail lights - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-18-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Wiring up LEDs for the JCR quarter guards with integrated tail lights

Hey guys,

I just bought the quarter panel guards from JCR and they should be here at the end of next week. I am hoping to have these mounted and wired up in one afternoon so i can make it to the Badlands Nov. 28th. But i have some questions about the wiring of the lights.

I ordered a 6" oval (tail/stop/turn) LED, 2.5" round Reverse light, and a 2" red round turn signal for the side of the panel. I also bought all of the "pigtails" to connect to the back of the LEDs

I have never messed around with LEDs before, so will someone explain to me the best way to wire these up? I heard something about needing an electronic flasher but in all the install writeups ive seen for the THOR guards i have never seen a use of a flasher, nor have i seen anyone really go into great detail about the wiring.

Can someone please explain to me what i need?

-Brendan

for those of you who havent seen the product that i'm talking about

Cherokee Rear Upper Quarter Panel Guards (97 up): JcrOffroad, Inc.

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 PM
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/le...ng-fix-887976/

This might help?

Brizzle

“Don’t Tread On Me”

www.highsprings.com
post #3 of 17 Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM
XJChris98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You'll need and electric flasher to get the lights to flash right (located under the drivers side of the dash, along the outside "wall"). I think they're ~18$ and can be found at any autoparts store (napa, autozone, advance, etc). If your having trouble finding it, just turn the flasher on and listen for it.

To get the rear lights wired up and working (correctly), you'll need one of these:
Tow Ready Website - 119130

From my understanding, this is the ONLY unit that will work on the XJ's. I dont know why, but when I did my tailights thats what I used and didnt have any issues. CHECK EBAY for this item, I picked one up on there brand new for $15.

Refer to this writeup: wiring up LED STOP TURN TAIL For light boxes Thor guards (w/pics) - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

post #4 of 17 Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i picked up the tow ready setup but im having trouble locating a electric flasher online

3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 Old 11-18-2009, 10:51 PM
XJChris98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

post #6 of 17 Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

awesome thanks chris i was searching for the wrong terms. so by doing what you posted in that NAXJA writeup as well as the electronic flasher i should be set to wire these up. and my front turn signals should still work just fine?

3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

post #7 of 17 Old 11-18-2009, 11:19 PM
XJChris98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you follow hammered's writeup, it should work perfect. The whole towready box thing may seem confusing, but it helps to just look at his actual pictures of which wire goes to where. Thats what I did and didnt have any problems.

I tied my side markers into the constant 12v source, so they would be "on" when the parking/headlights were on, but didnt "flash" with the turnsignals.

Good luck!
post #8 of 17 Old 11-19-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

sounds good, i will do what hammered did and if it does do the "quick flash" i will run to NAPA and pick up that electronic flasher

3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

post #9 of 17 Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Haleyes
1996 XJ Cherokee 

There's really nothing to it. I think you're making it harder than it really is and you've not even started yet!

For those that haven't seen JCR's new 1/4 guards:

97 and up is also available.
JcrOffroad, Inc.

96' XJ, 33's and 4.88's

post #10 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Rural-Assault

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJChris98 View Post
If you follow hammered's writeup, it should work perfect. The whole towready box thing may seem confusing, but it helps to just look at his actual pictures of which wire goes to where. Thats what I did and didnt have any problems.

I tied my side markers into the constant 12v source, so they would be "on" when the parking/headlights were on, but didnt "flash" with the turnsignals.

Good luck!
I just ordered the towready box today. I'd like to do the same thing you did with your side lights. How did you wire those in to come on with the running lights? I have the jcr taillight boxs.

XJ SPORT® 8" on 36's Geared,Locked & Caged

post #11 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 PM
srmitchell
2004 WJ 

Did you install them yet?

Can't wait to see em!

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland Project
2019 Compass Trailhawk DD
post #12 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 PM
XJChris98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural-Assault View Post
I just ordered the towready box today. I'd like to do the same thing you did with your side lights. How did you wire those in to come on with the running lights? I have the jcr taillight boxs.
I believe I just tied them into the parking light wire for the rear S/T/T lights. They dont "flash" when the rear ones flash though, just stay on constant when the parking/headlights are on.

If thats not it, just stick a multimeter on the wires and find one with constant 12v (even when the flashers are running). Since your using LED's they pull nearly no current so you shouldnt have any issues blowing fuses/etc.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i have the drivers side done. the gap by the tail gate isnt what i hoped it would be. its about a half inch off. i think that i may have mounted the front about a 1/4" high in the front. so i have a much better idea of how to go about mounting the passenger side so there is little to no gap at the hatch

3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

post #14 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 09:25 PM
josh94xj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleyes View Post
There's really nothing to it. I think you're making it harder than it really is and you've not even started yet!

For those that haven't seen JCR's new 1/4 guards:

97 and up is also available.
JcrOffroad, Inc.
any one kno wat kind of rear bumber this is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
"Jeep. Go prepared."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal2doorXJ View Post
i say screw it and just rawdog it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58 View Post
Selling your jeep is like selling your soul....
NEW JEEP PROJECT COMEING SOON!
post #15 of 17 Old 12-08-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

that is a JCR Offroad bumper

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=XJB

3.6L V6 - Manual
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in