Wiring Hella 500's to a Factory Fog light switch on a non-factory fog light 2000 XJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
NYSLC93
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wiring Hella 500's to a Factory Fog light switch on a non-factory fog light 2000 XJ

Didya follow all that?

First off, I recently bid adieu to my beloved 2008 135i so now I'm full-ime with the 2000 XJ...perfect car for Brooklyn.

In any event, I'm installing a set of Hella 500's and hope this goes relatively smoothly.

My Jeep was not equipped with factory fogs and hence has a blank on the console where the factory fog switch would go.

1) Can I simply buy a OEM switch, cut a hole for it to fit, then wire directly to it with the Hella-provided wiring?

2) Cheapest place to find the switch? Fleabay?

3) Wiring / Installation tips on the Hellas?

Gracias.

NYSLC93 out.

2008 BMW 135i - Alpine White/Blk Leather, 6MT, 350RWHP :) - SOLD Sept. 2013 :(
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Navy Blue / Gray Cloth, Auto, 4x4, Plaid Blanket on Back Seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 PM
accelr8
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think it's as simple as it sounds. If I remember correctly, the fog light "switch" is more like a switch/relay assembly with multiple contacts. It's controlled by other inputs, such as only working while your parking or headlights are on, and turning off when your highbeams are on, regardless of whether or not the switch is in the on or off position. It's not just a single pole single throw conventional switch. If you just want to put a switch in that spot, I recommend mounting any general purpose automotive switch and wiring it to trigger an external relay to switch on your lights. If you want the stock look of the factory switch, you'll need to dig through the service manual wiring diagram to see how you can interface it to turn on your lights.

My XJ came with factory foglights and I rewired them and ditched the stock switch and wiring so I can use them without having to use my parking lights and so I can use them while using my highbeams. I also wired the relay trigger from the ignition circuit, so when I turn off the jeep it turns off the lights, regardless of switch position. No more forgetting the lights on and killing the battery.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can use a factory switch to run relays and wires you install yourself. I have diagrams for the install you describe on the home computer and will post them later today.

I also have a link for clone fog lamp switches that are 1/2 the cost of genuine Jeep switches.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 03:09 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on picking up an XJ!
I'm just here waiting for Tim to get home and post that clone switch link, but yeah it's an easy install that'll look quite factory.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 03:23 PM
steiny93
1998 ZJ 

ditto on the factory clone & diagrams; i'm in need of those as well
post #6 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 06:31 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep XJ Cherokee fog light switch standard motor products ds1082

The wire harness plug behind the dash panel for the fog lamp switch may have live 12 volts. Otherwise hook up like the diagram shows. Install wires, fuse and relay like the diagram, use the Factory switch instead of a standard toggle switch.

Attached Images

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 06:57 PM
ECL
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yours may be different but on my '98:
1) On the bottom of the dash center stack, I swapped out the factory switch plate for one that had a fog light switch (from the junkyard). The wiring harness was there - it was plugged into a "dummy" plug in the non-switch to prevent rattling (I guess). Dash trim just pulls off, exposing Phillips screws to remove the switch plate.
2) under the hood, in the PDC, I put in a relay in the correct spot. I also had to run a jumper wire from the slot nearest the engine to ground to get the relay to "close". (THAT took a while to figure out)
3) the under hood wiring harness has a connection under the air filter box. Fog light equipped XJ's have a different harness from that point across the front of the vehicle feeding the headlights, etc. the fog light power wire is light blue. If yours is like mine, you could tap that wire under the air filter and run it where you want, then ground the lights locally.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECL View Post
Yours may be different but on my '98........
Almost all 97-01 Cherokees that did not leave the Jeep factory with fog lamps installed are missing substantial portions of the fog lamp wire harness and electrical circuits. They also have no relay socket contacts under the fog lamp relay location, so there is nothing to plug the relay into. I have read several reports that 1998's sometimes have a socket for the fog lamp relay, but still are missing portions of the necessary wire harness.

As previously stated, one can use a factory type switch, and then install your own wires and relay.

post #9 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 08:41 PM
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Almost all 97-01 Cherokees that did not leave the Jeep factory with fog lamps installed are missing substantial portions of the fog lamp wire harness and electrical circuits. They also have no relay socket contacts under the fog lamp relay location, so there is nothing to plug the relay into. I have read several reports that 1998's sometimes have a socket for the fog lamp relay.
Since the OP stated that they bought the Hella kit that comes with a wiring harness it really doesn't matter if the factory fog-light wiring is there or not. Just use the Hella provided relay and harness and wire it into a factory (or aftermarket clone) fog-light switch rather than the Hella provided switch.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
Since the OP stated that they bought the Hella kit that comes with a wiring harness it really doesn't matter if the factory fog-light wiring is there or not. Just use the Hella provided relay and harness and wire it into a factory (or aftermarket clone) fog-light switch rather than the Hella provided switch.
I think you just agreed with Tim's response to the post immediately above his.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

Tags
fog lamp , fog lamp switch , fog light , hella

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in