Winona won't start... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-31-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
pullinoutisbad
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Winona won't start...

On the way to work the other day she stalled for the first time ever started back up no prob in 5 min. 5 min later stalled again, same thing starts right back up. on the way back she stalled 4 times each time took at least 30 min until she turned over normally. 10 min drive turned into 2 hour drive/wait... made it home, thanks jesus!

next day she cranks but doesn't turn over. I didn't have fuel pressure in the rail, so I replaced the fuel pump. she starts right up 3 times in a row no prob! "fixed" by this time its kinda late so I don't drive her.

next day same thing cranks-wont turn over. fuel in rail. I did a spark test by myself, who knows if I did it right, anyway didn't see a spark so I replaced the coil. she starts up again no prob 4 times in a row. "FIXED" it was late again so I didn't drive.

same sh*t the next day if you can believe that. I replaced the CPS, same thing, starts a deceitful amount of times!(7) "fixed..."

yesterday, cranks wont turn over. until I wiggled the firewall cluster. again starts up this time 7 freaking times in a row!! "FIXED!!!" stalled coming home on the way back from autozone 3 times, wiggled the firewall cluster she'd start right up.

today, she cranks but wont turn the f*** over?!! no matter how much I finger blast that firewall cluster. I have fuel pressure after I crank it, fuses and relays seem to be good, i'll wait until dark to try a spark test again. My dad used to be a mechanic and owns/fixes jeeps but hes 6 hours away. He thinks its an electrical issue.

PLEASE HELP ME, any input helps. IDEAS??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Agony Wagon

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe whatever you were jigglin on the firewall has been done jiggled apart.
Maybe your ground cable isn't grounding. Check to make sure that's good.
Maybe your NSS is bad. To test, you can jump the terminals in it.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-01-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
pullinoutisbad
1994 XJ Cherokee 

welp now its not getting fuel to the rail...
it couldn't be that damn pump, I just replaced it.
what else could be the cause?

post #4 of 4 Old 04-02-2015, 04:42 AM
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When I replaced the fuel pump on my '88 XJ, it had a rubber hose that went from the pump to the bulk head fitting inside the tank . The first time I over tightened the hose clamp on that hose and found that because it is submerged in gas the hose gets very soft and gummy and the hose clamp cut through the hose after a few days causing me to loose fuel pressure as fuel was leaking out of the hose inside the tank. After a day or so the hose failed so bad that the Jeep wouldn't run. The second time I went into the tank to fix it, I left the clamps slightly too loose and the hose came off on one end. Not sure if they changed this design in later years but it was a real PITA to get right. I ended up using two hose clamps on the end that came off so I could get enough clamping force on the hose without splitting it.
Don't know if this is your issue, but it sounds like you may have to pull the new fuel pump out and see what 's going on inside the tank.

2005 Rubicon LJ 4.5 inches of lift, 35's

Tags
electrical , mystery , random stalling , stalling , wont start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in