Where should I start? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2020, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Frankenjeep918

Where should I start?

So I'm new to the jeep world I picked up my 93 XJ almost 2 years ago for $900 she was pretty beat up but got me from point A to point B reliably for a year and a half was given a car that was an upgrade do I parked her and started tearing her down to fix what I knew was wrong.
Now I want to start upgrading to take on some basic trails and be my huntin/fishin rig. What are some basic upgrades that I need to tackle for basic off-road reliability? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-16-2020, 11:17 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The XJ Cherokee is very capable off-road in stock condition. At the very minimum you should install: more aggressive than stock tires, skid plates, and self-recovery points front and rear. For the front you can buy reproductions of the factory original frame mounted tow hook brackets. For the rear you should install a Class-III frame mounted hitch. Depending on where you live, these parts might be found at the junkyard in rust free condition. Make sure all the hoses, u-joints, ball joints, and steering components are in top condition.

You might consider a one to two inch suspension lift for a bit more ground clearance. A locking rear differential is also beneficial.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 3 Old 09-17-2020, 03:23 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Tyres - she will take 30" tyres in stock form. If you want trails and few highways you can look for some mud terrains etc. Without lockers, good tyres and the 4x4 will get you most places.

The bumpers as stock are prone to damage. Look out for some basic second hand ones, nothing too heavy. I have light steel ones, with two points at the front. I do not have a winch, basic recovery gear only.

you can work up a home made lift inexpensively for 2" lift. Do not buy badly thought out flimsy stuff.

Then I would give it a darn good service and going over, change all fluids, belts and hoses. Check the cooling system is in good condition, change out the fan drive if you do not know how old it is, same with the radiator cap. have the radiator serviced, go over every single part underneath to find rotten rubbers and worn joints and grease everything (I cannot stress this last one too much)

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in