What are you coating your floors with? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-11-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Becca_78
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What are you coating your floors with?

I’m finally getting around to fixing some rust issues in the floor of my XJ. I’m definitely planning on keeping carpet in the Jeep - I’ll probably order new carpet once I get all the rust fixed.

What’s the best way to paint/coat the floors once the rust is taken care of? I thought about bedliner (I like rustoleum) or some kind of rubberized undercoating, but I’m not sure that’s the best if I’m just going to cover it with carpet.

My current plan is to sand the floors and treat any surface rust with Rust-Oleum rust encapsulator. Then prime and paint with the cheap Rust-Oleum spray paint. Will this offer enough protection? Also, did y’all keep the jute backing that was under the carpet? I thought about doing away with it and using some dynamat, but I’m not sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-12-2020, 10:22 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use some type of rust treatment and compatible paint. If you use Rust-Oleum, brush/roll it on for thicker coverage and better durability. I prefer POR-15, but anywhere that doesn't apply salt to snowy roadways Rust-Oleum will be fine. Bedliner is more for when the carpet is permanently removed. Rubberized undercoating is unnecessary and the consumer grade products in a spray can are basically a waste of money and time. The carpet backing helps control heat from the exhaust and prevent the carpet from melting.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

“The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain
in the State governments are numerous and indefinite.”

- James Madison
post #3 of 18 Old 01-12-2020, 04:32 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with the POR-15. It is about as permanent as you can get. That assumes you did all the rust and removed the entire interior. Once done it is like a impermeable membrane. Underneath I go with the rubberized undercoat in a rattle can. If you can get a real SCHUTZ undercoat job that is the best but I don't even know where they still do that.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones

post #4 of 18 Old 01-13-2020, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Becca_78
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I thought about POR-15, but a lot of my floor is still good paint with just a little surface rust here and there. I thought POR-15 had to have rust to bond properly. If that’s the case, should I treat the rust spots with the POR-15 and then paint the entire floor?
post #5 of 18 Old 01-13-2020, 06:15 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can do that. But paint does not like to be wet continuously. When the carpets get wet they stay that way for a LONG time. That is why I POR-15 everything. Just take a sanding disc and rough up the old paint so you get good tooth. There is another product similar to POR-15 that is less costly and easier to work with. It is made by PETTIT paint company and it is called Trailer Coat. It is what I use on boat trailers that see salt water. Very durable and waterproof. It is getting hard to find but a search found this site. http://boater-supplies.com/product/pettit-trailercoat/This is a good one too. Also a moisture cured urethane which will harden in the can if you are not carefull.https://www.iboats.com/shop/rustlok-...tit-paint.html

post #6 of 18 Old 01-13-2020, 06:45 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

jfwiw i never had rust oleum do any better than a 99 cent rattle can...
ya gotta use some of the other stuff mentioned

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #7 of 18 Old 01-14-2020, 02:42 PM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

When my carpet comes out, this is going down > http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/ .

I did my roof, rear hatch and driver's door. Super happy with it. I did the dynamat down first then the dynaliner over that in the roof. Dynamat in the rear hatch and door.

I really want to do the thick dynaliner in the rear cargo area to make it more comfortable under the carpet and back of the back seat and get the noise down even more. I hate the constant hum you get from the rear tires slinging water in the wheel wells.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-14-2020, 03:47 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashDN View Post
When my carpet comes out, this is going down > http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/ .

I did my roof, rear hatch and driver's door. Super happy with it. I did the dynamat down first then the dynaliner over that in the roof. Dynamat in the rear hatch and door.

I really want to do the thick dynaliner in the rear cargo area to make it more comfortable under the carpet and back of the back seat and get the noise down even more. I hate the constant hum you get from the rear tires slinging water in the wheel wells.
I did the Dynamat too.
Roof, doors, hatch, and inside the rear wheel wells.
Being a more turn up the radio kind of guy really did not care about the noise.
It was more a "While we are here thing".
Had to do door checks and put the Infinity Tweeters in the front doors.
So while we are here.
Had to swap out the regular glass for Factory Privacy glass in the rear doors and cargo area.
So while we are here.
Put in an overhead console.
So, well you get the idea. LOL.
Wanted to use the Dynaliner in the roof over the Dynamat. Just could not justify spending the money.
Went with a closed cell foam. Plus I did not do full coverage of the Dynamat. Pieces here and there.
Hatch I did not have to go into for anything but did it anyway.
Have not gotten to the floor yet but am not comfortable sticking something more permanent on there.
Thinking about the EZ Cool stuff. No adhesive just lay it in under the carpet.
Reason I have been following this thread is for when I do rip up the whole carpet.
Where I have lifted it here and there the floors look good.
But who know what I will find when I take the whole carpet out.
Attached Images

Fourspeedman likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-14-2020, 06:52 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Another thing you can use under the carpet is that tar-like sheet of underlayment that Camaros and Firebirds used. I work on Firebirds a lot so had a whole tub left over from various jobs. When I put new floors in my XJ I also layed that stuff wherever I could fit it under the carpet. Nice and quiet now.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-14-2020, 07:21 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

anything applied to metal can trap moisture and slowely rot away.
had a ford probe with nice black undercoat. i found too late the metal under was rusting away.
loved that car...gone

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #11 of 18 Old 01-15-2020, 01:29 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeedman View Post
Another thing you can use under the carpet is that tar-like sheet of underlayment that Camaros and Firebirds used. I work on Firebirds a lot so had a whole tub left over from various jobs. When I put new floors in my XJ I also layed that stuff wherever I could fit it under the carpet. Nice and quiet now.
I like that idea. Wish they wouldn't crush cars so quick around here. Would like to rip some out of a Camaro/Firebird to get a closer look at it.
You talking about Third generation ones?

Another thing I have been toying with the idea of doing, that is if I could find one local at a reasonable price, is the rubber floor that came in the Police/Fleet version XJ's.
I am curious about trying to put a carpet over one of those. Thing is that when I do see them on Craigslist they are never local and usually $300 or more
post #12 of 18 Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 AM
PA-MUDDIN'

I use that rhino liner in a spray can, it works great!!!! I even did the underneath of my body and my frame with it. You could even put it on top of the rust oleum.... Then I would lay down a thin piece of rubber on the whole bottom of the tub, then glue the carpet on top of that. If I was going with a carpet.... That's the way I would do it, I think it would offer the most protection.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-15-2020, 10:13 AM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ralph they used that underlayment on the first and second gen "F" bodies. Not sure of after that. It's definitely old school technology. But if you have ever lifted the carpets out of one the sheets are usually hard as a rock and any water that got under them has rusted the floors. That is why I use the POR-15 or similar first.
2oldjeeps likes this.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeedman View Post
Ralph they used that underlayment on the first and second gen "F" bodies. Not sure of after that. It's definitely old school technology. But if you have ever lifted the carpets out of one the sheets are usually hard as a rock and any water that got under them has rusted the floors. That is why I use the POR-15 or similar first.
Ain't no way I am finding any first or second generation around here in the boneyard.
I am not sure if I could even find a third generation one. LOL.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-15-2020, 02:03 PM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
I did the Dynamat too.
It was more a "While we are here thing".
Same deal with me. Headliner was falling down. I pulled the board out. Thought, "Hey, while I have it out..."

Drivers door I was replacing the door check thingy I think. Rear hatch was I was fiddling wiring if I recall correctly.

I still have some of the dynamat around for whenever I take off another door panel or pull carpet for some reason.

FYI, the dynaliner makes good stuff to use in behind the stereo bezel thingy.

Last thing, while I had the center console out I used the aluminized bubble wrap stuff to insulate the air duct that runs to the rear floorboard. I made it a little long at the exit end intentionally to get the air that last little bit to the exit grates without getting lost in the console itself. Does it help? Who the heck knows. I was in there and had the stuff laying around and thought what they hey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in