What type of DRL system is this?! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 04-08-2020, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Kojack98
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What type of DRL system is this?!

So long story short I bought my Jeep on auction from Austin Tx. It was originally a state govt. vehicle and was used for the health dept. I have had it over a year now and have been working on it from day 1 and always had an issue with my lights. They would periodically mess up and my headlights would come on for a day or two and then randomly be normal and stay off (unless I turned them on with the switch). My yellow lights (turn signal lights) have always been on and it causes my Jeep to dim the instrument cluster and whole car like the lights are on. Come to find out I found the weirdest DRL setup that looks to be done by a 6-year-old. I figured it was done due to the fact that it was a State Govt. Vehicle and it had to have Daytime Running Lights. But I have seen XJ's with the factory DRL system that is attached to the underside of the hood of the car next to the passenger section. This is definitely not a factory setup and one of the wires is burnt, which is causing my lights to periodically trip out. Has anyone seen this setup? Should I disconnect it? I do not need it or want it lol. And what about this box that hangs low in my footwell? What the heck is this? Is this part of the DRL setup?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hWg9af79cL6DPPYz7

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-10-2020, 06:05 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojack98 View Post
So long story short I bought my Jeep on auction from Austin Tx. It was originally a state govt. vehicle and was used for the health dept. I have had it over a year now and have been working on it from day 1 and always had an issue with my lights. They would periodically mess up and my headlights would come on for a day or two and then randomly be normal and stay off (unless I turned them on with the switch). My yellow lights (turn signal lights) have always been on and it causes my Jeep to dim the instrument cluster and whole car like the lights are on. Come to find out I found the weirdest DRL setup that looks to be done by a 6-year-old. I figured it was done due to the fact that it was a State Govt. Vehicle and it had to have Daytime Running Lights. But I have seen XJ's with the factory DRL system that is attached to the underside of the hood of the car next to the passenger section. This is definitely not a factory setup and one of the wires is burnt, which is causing my lights to periodically trip out. Has anyone seen this setup? Should I disconnect it? I do not need it or want it lol. And what about this box that hangs low in my footwell? What the heck is this? Is this part of the DRL setup?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hWg9af79cL6DPPYz7

Thank you in advance for all your help!
If it's causing you issues, I'd take pictures of where it's connected & then remove everything to get it back to factory normal.

Have you tried running part numbers on both the boxes, through Google?

Looks like in the 4th picture, you have a green wire poking out from behind the kick panel. Any idea what's that about?

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
drl , lights , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in