What can i cheaply add to my jeep to live in it. - JeepForum.com
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-10-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
snowbeast428
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What can i cheaply add to my jeep to live in it.

I'm risk of my parents abandoning me under not nice circumstances and i could wake up one day without a home anymore. Now before anybody asks why or how lets just get down to this emergency question.

What can i cheaply add to my jeep to live in it because thats my backup plan as i do not have really any extended options. My biggest concern is power. Anything i can cheaply do to get power that could last a rice cooker or recharge during the day? a 160-130w electric throw can get me through the winter without risk of loosing limbs. I don't need comfy, i need reliable and survivable as cheaply as possible.

If i get those two sorted i'll be fine, got friends who while they might not want me to sleep inside due to this virus will likely let me sleep on the property in car. The longest i could stay at a friends place inside is 2 months before the landlord would probally get upset.

Oh come on! I just fixed X and now you're doing X? Give me a break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-10-2020, 10:04 PM
jlcoble

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Solar panels 2 marine batteries and a power inverter and you can run a elc blanket and a microwave

post #3 of 18 Old 07-10-2020, 11:35 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a tent and eat off the McDonalds dollar menu.
Attached Thumbnails
XJ tent.jpg  
cruiser54 and Fourspeedman like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.

post #4 of 18 Old 07-11-2020, 06:55 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Enlist.

Work, food, medical, training, housing and helping God.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-11-2020, 09:27 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
Enlist.

He can't deal with his parents rules. Do you think he can take some stranger screaming orders at him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-11-2020, 03:37 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm thinking New Hampshire winters are not to be fooled with. You need to be INDOORS. Listening to the snow, sleet, and freezing rain hit the roof while you are shivering in a fart sack gets old fast. Mooching off friends loses you friends fast too. Are you working? Find a furnished room. Not working? Start. Or enlist. The Army straightened my sorry *** out fast.
monkeyhouse and Conrad_in_PA like this.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
post #7 of 18 Old 07-11-2020, 10:06 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Enlist.

He will only help God if he enlists in the Church.

Ahh... yes, good idea.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 18 Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Seriously, I have slept in vehicles before and they are very cold very quickly, no insulation. They are drier than outside but also rely on ventilation systems, so fog up very quickly. I suggest you put down the back seats and install some foam insulation for the bed, keep the cold from getting you underneath then plenty of layers on top. if you are warm you will sleep as well as you can, which will make it survivable. If you are not used to it, the cold will keep you awake and make you miserable. If you are used to soft beds, that foam layer will feel hard at first.

That is OK for a few nights on a long trip but the key to long term surviving in a vehicle is to be organised with your kit. Always tidy everything away and clean everything when you have the opportunity, including yourself. Dress smartly, people judge by appearances and you will get less hassle.

As to fancy stuff, you are going to have limited space for cooking and washing, nothing for crapping. I suggest a 12V battery and solar chargers (do not use the Jeep's battery unless desperate, this is where a dual battery setup comes into its own) to power a simple electrical heater for hot water, (12V kettle is $20, a 12V electric pot about $30) anything else is going to be an adventure. This will then give you coffee, hot soup, hot beans, warm water to shave and clean up, charge for phones etc. You can also run some 12V LED bulbs to see by, but I would keep them small. An electric blanket will be a real boon, but will sap your power, a 12V one is about $30. You do not need an inverter if you plan carefully, but a small one can be useful to power things you have to hand that need 110/240V.

Water could be stored on the roof, but if below freezing you need to keep it inside the vehicle. 10 litres / 2 gallons of water is enough for several days.

You will be relying on gas station and coffe shop restrooms for a lot. Find a local Mission for showers and laundry if you cannot bum a friend's bathroom and laundry occassionally.

Sorry to hear you may be homeless soon, not pleasant.
tjwalker and Wyo1 like this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
post #9 of 18 Old 07-12-2020, 08:34 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

there are MANY ways the military does humanitarian work (helping God), you could find a 'job' doing those.

The navy's hospital ships recently, disaster relief, USAF food drops, Armys remote medical help, medivac support, FOOD distribution, as well as supporting the servicemen, their needs, religion, medical, training them, MWR.
Or a fart trap in New Hampshire.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-12-2020, 03:46 PM
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just want to add-sleeping in your vehicle might get you a visit from the local police. Most people that drink or get drunk fall asleep in their vehicles, and then someone calls the police, or the police on a night patrol might see you. Where would you stay at night? Most places don't want people sleeping in their parking lots.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ purchased Sept 2014
post #11 of 18 Old 07-12-2020, 06:54 PM
RedBolide

Don't try and live in your Jeep. In order to make it through the cold, you need to put a lot of time and quite a bit of money into your Jeep to make it livable. If you have a lot of time and a little money, it would be easier to start renting a room and getting a job. You've got options here. Be an adult and talk to your parents, or be an adult and start searching for work. Best of luck out there.

'03 Wrangler Sport / '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo / '90 Comanche Eliminator
post #12 of 18 Old 07-12-2020, 11:00 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
there are MANY ways the military does humanitarian work (helping God), you could find a 'job' doing those.

The navy's hospital ships recently, disaster relief, USAF food drops, Armys remote medical help, medivac support, FOOD distribution, as well as supporting the servicemen, their needs, religion, medical, training them, MWR.
Or a fart trap in New Hampshire.
With respect, all of that is political. Good to know that those famously expensive resources occassionaly do something useful to the society, but there are other agencies to do them.

Whatever religious creed you belong to, being part of an Army trained to kill and wound and destroy, and which does it in many countries, is not helping God. Both sides in a war will usually claim some religious justification.

Not saying it is right or wrong, it just is.
Conrad_in_PA likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
post #13 of 18 Old 07-13-2020, 01:03 PM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Air Force if you are going to enlist as an option.

Foam pad, lots of blankets, take a whizz before you go to bed. Your body's natural response to getting cold is to void liquid so it does not have to burn calories to keep it warm. You will be waking up every 2 hours to pee otherwise.

Last thing to recommend; do not sleep in your vehicle. Get a camping hammock set-up. It is pretty versatile and with the correct top quilts and under quilts can let you sleep comfortably in very cold conditions. That will let you keep your rear cargo area free to be a kitchen or haul your stuff without a mattress or foam pad taking up space. It is easy to find spots for the hammock once you learn what you are looking for. I have used one tree and the roof rack on the xj before. You can also throw the hammoch set up in a small bag and stealth camp back off a rd or in a group of trees and be left alone.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-14-2020, 05:12 PM
Hlavacek

A couple hundred bucks in gas gets you way farther south. Why fight the cold doesn’t sound like you have much to hang around for. Also the Marine Corp saved my life maybe it will for you too. It’s really not that bad and nearly everything I learned there I use in one way or another every day.
Conrad_in_PA likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-14-2020, 05:38 PM
topper142

There are lots of jobs in the military that don't kill and wound and destroy. Talk to a recruiter from each branch. Coast Guard is pretty cool I've heard. Most have Chaplins. As far as them being political, welcome to life. This forum and others that claim to be non-political all get political anyway.
Conrad_in_PA likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in