Violent Wheel shake at 70MPH+ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-08-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Gtrsrlly
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Violent Wheel shake at 70MPH+

So I have a 97 Cherokee country 4wd automatic, I never had any vibration until I hit 90+ and still never anything this bad. FYI I just went to Mud Fest this weekend and it started on the way home, please help as I take 95 everyday to school

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-08-2015, 01:44 PM
mschi772

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Ill start with the simplest. Did you wash all the mud off of the vehicle? Mud stuck somewhere could mess-up wheel or driveshaft balance.

Build Thread -- https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #3 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Gtrsrlly
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Ill start with the simplest. Did you wash all the mud off of the vehicle? Mud stuck somewhere could mess-up wheel or driveshaft balance.
Yea as I posted this I realized I haven't, will do after school today, and let you know.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 06:37 AM
S8NNG8

1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you get it all cleaned out and you still have the vibe, it could be that you spun a tire on the rim leaving it unbalanced. You should be able to tell which corner its coming from if this is the case.

D3<!L!>3D
post #5 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 03:44 PM
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Slow down, my friend. Your Jeep may be mint but it is still 18 years old.
The 95 on the sign is not the speed limit.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 06:20 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
Slow down, my friend. Your Jeep may be mint but it is still 18 years old.
The 95 on the sign is not the speed limit.
My lifted 01 is nice and comfy at 85. It's probably mud stuck inside a rim or something along those lines. I had that happen once.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-10-2015, 04:29 AM
mschi772

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Given the aerodynamics of the XJ, going that fast is a tremendous waste of gas. Drag increases exponentially with speed, and the XJ has a massive drag coefficient. I have a device that tracks my MPG in real time, and I get about 21-22 MPG at 65 mph. At 80, I'm down to about 17 MPG already. Lifted XJ's with bigger tires will have it even worse. I'm actually not super thrilled that WI raised its interstate speed limit to 70 because of this because it has already hurt my gas mileage over the past few months.

Build Thread -- https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #8 of 8 Old 09-10-2015, 06:43 AM
danpmartin

The "Death Wobble" is a creative term coined by Jeep owners that describes a situation when the front axle begins violently oscillating, causing the car to shake (or wobble) in a manner which makes the vehicle hard to control.
Poor alignment: If you're experiencing the wobble and haven't had your alignment checked, this is the first thing you should do.
Unbalanced Tires: Tires that are unbalanced can start throwing the axle around and the only way to stop the wobble is by slowing down.
Ball Joints: Worn ball joints can allow the wheel to move laterally and independently of the opposite wheel. These should be replaced regardless, worn ball joints are very dangerous in any vehicle.
Steering Stabilizer Bar: A steering stabilizer that is loose may lead to the death wobble.
A couple main reasons this problem is mostly isolated to Jeeps: first, many Jeeps are coil-sprung with a track bar setup and secondly, a lot of Jeep owners get their Jeeps lifted or modified or have after-market track bars installed. Jeep models affected by this design are: the Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and Wrangler. If it's any consolation (I know it's not) this problem also occurs in some Ford and Dodge trucks, especially older Broncos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
vibrating , vibration , wheel shimmy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in