Vehicle Speed Sensor - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-29-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
dirtydanzig
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Vehicle Speed Sensor

Hey dudes!

I'm the new guy, first time jeep owner, and first just wanted to say how stoked I am to finally be a part of this awesome community!

Anyways, I bought a 1999 Cherokee Sport 2x4 4.0l and got a check engine light, got it diagnosed, and it popped a p0500, vss code. I havent pulled either of them out yet but started researching online and came across both this one

Speed Sensor 1

and

Speed Sensor 2

and I dont know which one is correct. Does anyone have a clear understanding of this? Also, my speedo isnt working, so would me replacing the sensor possibly fix this issue? (speedo DOES move during the self diagnostic test, just not while driving)

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-29-2015, 12:17 PM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydanzig View Post
Hey dudes!

I'm the new guy, first time jeep owner, and first just wanted to say how stoked I am to finally be a part of this awesome community!

Anyways, I bought a 1999 Cherokee Sport 2x4 4.0l and got a check engine light, got it diagnosed, and it popped a p0500, vss code. I havent pulled either of them out yet but started researching online and came across both this one

Speed Sensor 1

and

Speed Sensor 2

and I dont know which one is correct. Does anyone have a clear understanding of this? Also, my speedo isnt working, so would me replacing the sensor possibly fix this issue? (speedo DOES move during the self diagnostic test, just not while driving)

Thanks guys!
The Speed Sensor 1 is for the speedometer, the Speed Sensor 2 is for the transmission in and out speeds - nothing to do with the speedometer.

If you have a 2WD, there's a chance that the plastic drive inside the transmission is cracked/broken. You'll have to remove the whole VSS (adaptor and sensor) and look inside the trans to see this. The gear on the end on the VSS may be chewed up as well. Generally, a 4WD (Transfer Case) VSS won't have this problem.

Here's a break down of the VSS.

Here's a pic of a VSS on a 2WD Trans.

post #3 of 13 Old 03-29-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
dirtydanzig
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome! Thanks!

post #4 of 13 Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 PM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Let us know what you see when you get the VSS out.. Photos will help also.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-10-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
dirtydanzig
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I decided to replaced the sensor itself first, since its easier to knock out, and I'm still having the same issue. I just wanted to ask right quick, if I take out the adapter and pinion, what tooth pinion is it and is it long or short shaft? just want to have it on hand before i pull it all apart. thanks!
post #6 of 13 Old 04-10-2015, 03:05 PM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I decided to replaced the sensor itself first, since its easier to knock out, and I'm still having the same issue. I just wanted to ask right quick, if I take out the adapter and pinion, what tooth pinion is it and is it long or short shaft? just want to have it on hand before i pull it all apart. thanks!
If you still don't have speedo after changing the VSS sensor (only) you may want to pull the adaptor out and look in the hole, See if the VSS drive gear in the trans is cracked or missing.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-10-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
dirtydanzig
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yep....the teeth on the pinion were fine but here lies this fella.
Attached Images

post #8 of 13 Old 04-10-2015, 04:15 PM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yep....the teeth on the pinion were fine but here lies this fella.
This whole design for the 2WD AW4 is a POS. The 4WD TC has helical splines cut in the output shaft.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-11-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
dirtydanzig
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So, I read the link up above but the guy only ends up sawing to contact a tranny shop and get it fixed, resulting in $250+ smackaroos, but then I came across another forum with a fella with the same issue and he got a lot of "its just the process of removing two bolts and swapping the broke one out for a new one, takes 2 minutes tops" so what would you suggest?
post #10 of 13 Old 04-11-2015, 05:21 PM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So, I read the link up above but the guy only ends up sawing to contact a tranny shop and get it fixed, resulting in $250+ smackaroos, but then I came across another forum with a fella with the same issue and he got a lot of "its just the process of removing two bolts and swapping the broke one out for a new one, takes 2 minutes tops" so what would you suggest?
What would I suggest..... LOL

1st, respond to that "fella" and say he's full of $h!t. 2 Minutes...LOL

2nd, Get a Factory Service Manual for your XJ at Pacific Coast Manuals.com. $7.95 for a pdf download. There you can read up on how to do the job, then determine if it's a 2 minute job, or if you can do the job.

Edit: There are seven bolts holding the rear case to the transmission case. If it matters.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-11-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
dirtydanzig
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do your other 2400 posts simply consist of poking fun and just redirecting people who need help to an online download? If that's the case, why are you on a forum? But, thanks for your suggestion, I guess. I don't know why I thought someone might have ever actually learned something from someone with actual experience, as opposed to a human spam bot. Thanks.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-11-2015, 10:19 PM
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

I don't actually have an XJ, but I do have the '99 XJ FSM. Here's a couple screenshots from the transmission section regarding removing the speedometer pinion shaft. It is a bit more involved than 2 bolts...
Attached Images

California 4.0 OBDII Engine Swap
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/california-4-0-obdii-swap-1530716/
post #13 of 13 Old 04-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Do your other 2400 posts simply consist of poking fun and just redirecting people who need help to an online download? If that's the case, why are you on a forum? But, thanks for your suggestion, I guess. I don't know why I thought someone might have ever actually learned something from someone with actual experience, as opposed to a human spam bot. Thanks.
Dude, chill out. If you don't like what you hear (here), then follow the advice from the other "fella" on the other site. CCKen gave you the best advise by pointing to the best source for getting an FSM so you can get objective input as opposed to advice from some fella's rear end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in