Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Trying to replace this screw / fastern clip

673 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  2oldjeeps 
#1 ·
Trying to replace this screw / fastener clip

96 XJ. One of my top 2 e-fan support screws is missing from where it mounts on that top cross support. There's a small black C shaped piece of metal that's stamped to accept the screw. C piece goes onto the edge of the cross support and then the screw goes through the hole.

Anyone know how I can identify this part number where I can order it, of what this piece is called so I can just look for a universal one? I know I could just shove a screw through it but I'd rather get the right piece.

#2 ·
Oddly enough, that it is called a nut-clip, and your local hardware store should have about a dozen different sizes to choose from.

Whatever similar size hardware store screw fits will be fine.

#4 · (Edited)
On reflection . . .

OP seems to be describing the part he hasn't got - or is just the screw he's missing?

Don't assume both sides of the shroud are secured the same way, the inboard fitting on my '98 is the fir tree part of the the harness/overflow pipe clip.

The clip OP describes is the cheap nasty one for self-tappers, whereas the shroud's held on by M5(?) machine screws, the better clips actually incorporate a nut; I'd get a pack of those from a hardware store & change them all while I was at it.

Thinking about it, there's actually 3 types, the ones with an integral caged nut I was referring to are probably overkill &, in any event, hard to find & needlessly expensive.

The 3rd type have a threaded turret (instead of a single spiral for a self-tapper) which is actually the OE type (just been out to check my spare slam panel) - should be able to pick up a pack of, maybe, 1/2-doz for $1 or so at any auto parts store.

#7 ·
No, the figure after the "M" is the diameter of the bolt, in mm's.

So an M8 nut or bolt would normally have a 13mm head.
What we call 8mm bolts are M5, although (just to confuse) M5's can have 7mm heads.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but missed your question somewhere along the line.

#11 ·
Sorry if I confused the issue referring to self tappers (that type of "spire nut" is more common here) because I thought that's what OP was describing - 'til I checked my own.

Not sure, from memory, that they are M6 though, & M6 bolts generally have 10mm heads, which I why I thought they were M5's, as they have 8mm heads BUT Jeep do seem to have a thing about bolts with non-standard size heads (&, indeed, some nuts that are oversize across the flats.)

#12 ·
I initially described the metal piece as stamped and that wasn't accurate. Didn't find out it had all those threads to accept the screw until I took it out after my initial post. Sorry bout the confusion. Found a good set on Amazon that should be here Friday so all four of the top fasteners are getting replaced. 2 for the e-fan and 2 for the regular fan shroud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.