Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Trickle charge 1989 XJ still connected terminals

663 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rubicon17 
#1 ·
Hi, is it ok to trickle charge a dead xj battery still connected to the vehicle on a 1989? The reason I ask is that the last time I disconnected the battery clamp terminals I could not get the motor to start for some reason for some time?
Is there a method of battery charging when you do have to disconnect terminals ever?
Thanks a dumb question I know but the vehicle has gremlins.
Also there is a thunder and lightening storm.

#2 ·
No it won't hurt to hook up a trickle charger while the battery is still connected to the vehicle. I use one of these solar trickle charges on my weekend warrior XJ to keep the battery topped off and ready for use when I may not start it for a few weeks. I have another on my tractor that may sit for many weeks without being started. They work great. Sunforce® 2 Pack - 2.5W 12V Solar Panel

#3 ·
You can, I have done same for cars, mowers, tractors.

The solar trickle charges are great. I have conditioned my jag battery for 10 years, it still starts every time.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Can only get 50% charge so may need a new battery? How many hours do you trickle to fully charge? Last night charge was 75% but it fell over night to only 50%. Wont start this morning battery is three years old but has stood for periods of months, I just get a crackle today. Charged battery for 18 hours so far. Sunforce® 2 Pack - 2.5W 12V Solar Panel is a great idea thanks.

#5 ·
Permanent sulfation sets in when a lead acid battery has been in a low state-of-charge for weeks or months and is evidenced by a rapid discharge curve. It sounds to me like you're due far a new battery. It's better to charge to about 13v than by time interval , but I leave my 2.5 watt solar chargers connected all the time when not in use since they won't overcharge a battery.

#6 ·
I have charged the battery to 75% the motor starts with ease, run the vehicle for 30 minutes but the Jeep wont restart? Amp/Volts meter shows 14 volts when motor running.
I have recharged again to repeat, vehicle although running and amps at 14 it will not restart.
The Jeep runs perfectly when running.
Any ideas what this is? Thanks.

What new battery do you recommend? The one fitted at moment is YUASA 12V 50AH 530? Is that poor or what? I don't know much about batteries but surely more than 50AH is needed for winter starting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.