Transmission overheat... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Transmission overheat...

Anyway.. I was on the last leg of my vacation coming home and was entering the mountains in South Carolina. I guess it was maybe a 4-5 mile long 6% grade and I was going the speed limit (70) and had the ac on (like 90* outside). I noticed that there was a bit o smoke behind me (quite a bit actually), and I figured out it was from me. I looked at my temp guage and it was high but not very, not to the red yet.. so I flipped my scanguage over to show water temp and it was 250*... not good.

I slowed down and stopped at the first exit. By then it had stopped smoking and cooled a little, about 240. Popped the hood and it looked ok at a glace. Underneath the tranny, tc, tc crossmember were all coverd in oil, with a little dripping from the engine area. I deduced the smoke was from it burning off the exahust pipe. Checked the oil and tranny fluid levels, both were normal. Noticed the overflow bottle on cooling system was overflowing a little out the hole. Turned the engine on too cool it off (residual heat when stopped overheated the water) and it settled ok.

I assume that because of where it looked like the fluid came from, the stress and heat overheated the engine a little and then the tranny couldnt cool enough, and overflowed out the dipstick... Does that seem probable?

I bought some oil ATF and a gallon of water jic, and headed on.. more carefully this time, and using 3rd instead of overdrive on the steep hills. I drove the 450 remaining miles with little incedent. maxed the temp at 235 briefly on a hill but stayed 220-225 in the mountains, and 207 once back in cooler weather and relative flatness of KY.

OK so my questions are: Does anything seem like it could have been damaged? I was already considering a ATF cooler, and now i intend on it; which should I get, and where should I mount it? Anything I have to worry about it if I spray the undercarrige down to clean it (i ran into 4hrs of heavy rain, but It might still be dirty).

After my 2000+ mile trip, I need an oil change too, so it looks like a full maintinace is in order. I will check the fluid levels in the morning once my engine has cooled also.

FYI, I only have like 200$ and I already had some plans for it... s10 packs and some other stuff.. so the cheaper the better.

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The tranny cooler will be fairly cheap, and good insurance. I would also change the oil and tranny fluid. But you most likely didn't hurt anything.

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
post #3 of 45 Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM
wyojeep92

i had the problem you had, i was coming back from camping and wheeling and next thing i know my tranny overheated on the way back, that's why this week i'm installing a tranny cooler, temp gauge and doing a tranny fluid flush. just figure i should

post #4 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I bought a $40 tranny cooler from pepboys, and I just washed my jeep, and am working the the mis-spaced lettering probem on the front (another thread).. anyway when the engine area has cooled enough that I feel comfortable working on it, I will attempt to install the cooler. I guess It mounts infront of the radiator/ac thing, and it should be simple right? Goes inline from the return line from the radiator right, thats the bottom one? I guess I will search for a guide on here. The grille should be simple to remove right?
Thanks.

oh... With a cooler do you need to add more atf, because the systems capacity should have changed? I havn't opened the box to see if there are any instructions yet, I am just cooling off for a bit inside and so I thought i could ask.

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
post #5 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Alright, I got the cooler mounted and stuff, but I havn't hooked it up yet, I think I will get someone else to help, or find somebody that knows what they are doing. I also think I need an adapter kit for my jeep, as the instructions mentioned one for 1987+ jeeps.
It was really hot, for me atleast. I don't work well in 90* heat. I had a fan on me and no shirt, still dumping sweat.

What came in the box (I had already started before I took the picture, and the hose loops so that You don't cut until it is in place so you have enough)

Grille Removed:

In position, I figured in front of the electric fan was as good as anyplace.

Clamp thingys, I had to trim them a bit more to get the fan back in.

Together again.

The hoses are sitting next to the air intake right now. Sometime this week I will do it all. (the Logo is missing because I havn't put the new one on yet.. thats another thread)

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
post #6 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 05:20 PM
wyojeep92

i would think it'd be better closer to the primary fan? so it constantly is cooling? i could be wrong but wouldn't that be a better place for it?
post #7 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
justanotherjpr

He has it in the stock position. It is cooled pretty well because it is the first thing the air hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
So do you actually hear your thoughts in your head or is it just sort of a dull roar before you smash your face into your keyboard and just submit whatever dumb **** ended up on the page?
post #8 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 05:37 PM
wyojeep92

well when your off road and not moving much wouldn't it be better towards the other side?
post #9 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 05:42 PM
justanotherjpr

Maybe, but I doubt the OP goes wheeling. Anyone serious into wheeling should have a switch to kick the e-fan on and off.

Quote:
So do you actually hear your thoughts in your head or is it just sort of a dull roar before you smash your face into your keyboard and just submit whatever dumb **** ended up on the page?
post #10 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
wyojeep92

hhhmmmm well maybe i should do that, i'll look for a thread on wiring it up, can't be too hard i'd imagine
post #11 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 PM
justanotherjpr

I believe on the 99-01's the PCM will just ground the fan to engage it, so you'd simply have to rig a relay to ground the fan when you hit a switch.

Quote:
post #12 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 PM
wyojeep92

yeah that sounds like the smart way to do it. i know you can hook it up to run constant off the battery, because i did it to test the fan, so i guess just putting a switch on after hooking it to the positive battery and a ground is the same thing?
post #13 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM
jjg214
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i wouldnt hook it up to the positive on the battery, i would just use a switch and relay to activate a ground and leave the factory set up 100% together that way it would also kick on automatically by the computer. Is there some reason this wouldnt work?
post #14 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 06:37 PM
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyojeep92 View Post
yeah that sounds like the smart way to do it. i know you can hook it up to run constant off the battery, because i did it to test the fan, so i guess just putting a switch on after hooking it to the positive battery and a ground is the same thing?
If the fan engages by being grounded, then hooking it permanently to ground would simply run the fan full time.

Quote:
post #15 of 45 Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 PM
wyojeep92

yeah i know. i just was thinking out loud? haha sorry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in