Trans slip - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Trans slip

96 Cherokee Country 4.0 HO, 192K, automatic.

OK so here's the story, tranny has never had any work, started, within the last month slipping when I take off only. Fluid was a little brown, on second drain and fill as of last week Friday, haven't checked color, still slips in first. Did the TV adjustment, test drive was great. Left for work started slipping again. If I keep it in 3, no slip, runs perfect, put into drive while driving shifts into OD perfectly. Have heard about the fuse on the RH side interior, haven't checked, haven't checked TCM. Mechanically it works as it should. After fuse and TCM, any other options?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2016, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Morning bump

post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 AM
75SV1

Un plug the TCM and test drive. Shift in manual mode. If no slipping, then it is an electrical problem. There are two plugs up by the trans dipstick. The black one is to the three solenoids and the one or two speed sensors. I'm going by my '98, your '96 is a bit different. Need to see what the plugs pins are. You can measure the ohm for the solenoids. The pin to a ground, the engine block. They should measure 11 to 16 ohms. I am not sure if you have one or two speed sensors etc. On the '98, I measure between the two pins for each one. About 5 to 6 ohms. There is a rotation test, but I don't get a consistent fluxuation as per the manual.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
Un plug the TCM and test drive. Shift in manual mode. If no slipping, then it is an electrical problem. There are two plugs up by the trans dipstick. The black one is to the three solenoids and the one or two speed sensors. I'm going by my '98, your '96 is a bit different. Need to see what the plugs pins are. You can measure the ohm for the solenoids. The pin to a ground, the engine block. They should measure 11 to 16 ohms. I am not sure if you have one or two speed sensors etc. On the '98, I measure between the two pins for each one. About 5 to 6 ohms. There is a rotation test, but I don't get a consistent fluxuation as per the manual.
Great, thanks, shifting manually now works great, I figured on electrical, just didn't want to miss anything.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-14-2016, 05:58 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Click on this link:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=58

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2016, 09:20 AM
75SV1

Cruiser's post points to another possible problem. The voltage from the battery can cause problems. Cleaning grounds, make sure the battery is healthy etc. I made some new cables for both of mine. Didn't help with the tranny, but other stuff worked better. I also upgraded the ground strap to #4 wire. Although I doubt this is your problem, also clean the connection to the Brake light switch. It does corrode and is part of the trans system. Others are TBS and the ECM (computer).
post #7 of 7 Old 01-14-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Thank you both very much, will look into this weekend and report back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in