Trans fluid flush - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 11:58 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

got my 00 xj a few yrs ago at 168000. did d and f three times in three months.
now at 179000 it shifts smooth and consistant. goes in and out of od just right and torq conv lock/unlock is just right.
never wouda thunk a 20 year old at 179000 would do that.
my wj is same at 147000. doing pan swap and filter with plug soon.
o love my jeeps. good lubes but i dont throw money away. ive never seen a jeep spark plug yet.
they run smooth,i dont mess. mileage is ok...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 11-09-2019, 05:11 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
now at 179000 it shifts smooth and consistant. ive never seen a jeep spark plug yet.
You don't drive much. I put 30,000 miles on mine in a year and I have other vehicles. I pulled my plugs when I bought mine with 120,000 miles because it was getting 10 mpg. They were worn down to nothing. I bought some Autolite AP-985 plugs and it did wonders for my gas mileage. A good $15 investment IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #33 of 40 Old 11-09-2019, 08:50 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
now at 179000 it shifts smooth and consistant. goes in and out of od just right and torq conv lock/unlock is just right.
never wouda thunk a 20 year old at 179000 would do that.
my wj is same at 147000. doing pan swap and filter with plug soon.
o love my jeeps. good lubes but i dont throw money away. ive never seen a jeep spark plug yet.
they run smooth,i dont mess. mileage is ok...
When you remove the "screen", please post a photo in this thread.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 40 Old 11-09-2019, 04:08 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

not sure what to expect. i have the new pan with plug and the filter. not the same as xj?
its all new to me and cold weather is an excuse to ...wait! its the 99 wj, now my all time favorite ride..

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #35 of 40 Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
not sure what to expect. i have the new pan with plug and the filter. not the same as xj?
its all new to me and cold weather is an excuse to ...wait! its the 99 wj, now my all time favorite ride..

I'm referring to the XJ with the AW4 trans only.
2oldjeeps likes this.

post #36 of 40 Old 11-22-2019, 11:19 PM
grt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Fluid Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Hotch View Post
There are some simple ways to do a trans service many are short cuts some are over done. The bottom line is take the time and do it right. Drain the pan change the filter. Use good quality filters like the Wix 58936 and ONLY use the correct fluid. The manufacturer specs ATF+4 transmission fluid. DO NOT use “universal” or Mercon Dextron III or any other fluid. Do not mix transmission fluid types. ATF+4 is formulated for these transmissions as well as other transmissions. If you want to separate the lines you can buy a quick connect release tool made by Lisle. #3700. Amazon for $7.82. I agree after you drain and change the filter you can drain the fluid again then refill. I’ve seen guys drop the pan remove the filter start the engine for like 3-4 seconds and pump out the rest of the fluid. That’s a crap shoot for an older unit with lots if milage. I wouldn’t recommend that. This is from over 40 professional years of experience. Just my 2 cents. BTY the only time you should mix fluids is if you’re stuck and you gotta get home!
Paul
I certainly respect your 40 years of service but I have owned my 1998 XJ since it rolled off the line and my factory owners manual for the AW-4 Transmission in my Jeep tells me to use SP-3 fluid in the tranny which I have been doing for the past 132,000 miles and the Jeep seems to like it. Admittedly, it takes some searching to find Asin SP-3 ATF but it's out there. I have seen where the manufacturer specs ATF+4 for use in even the older trannies like mine but I am concerned that to change to a different ATF formulation after all these years might not be something the transmission would like thereby sending me to a tranny rebuilder. Now I don't have 40 years of professional experience but I have been an engineer for 50 years and we tend to be sort of finicky about the details. I don't dispute what you are saying but, at my age, I don't respond well to change so I figure better safe than sorry.

GRT
post #37 of 40 Old 11-22-2019, 11:30 PM
grt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
NONE!!!!!

It was never intended to be a maintenance item. It's a frickin' metal screen.

ALL these transmissions require is drain and refill. The trans line flush is fun and all, until the lines don't go back together or leak afterwards cuz they're decades old.

Or, you can have a ton of fun getting that pan off which is part of the dipstick tube via a crusty old, as in decades, o-ring.

This trans was used in 5 ton dumptrucks in Japan and in Toyota Celica turbos for crying out loud.

If this trans was made by GM, Ford, or Chrysler, we wouldn't be driving these rigs now.

They'd all be in the junkyard like S-10 Blazers, Bronco IIs, and Dakotas of the same vintage.

Quit trying to treat this AW4 trans like the piece of **** it is not.
Cruiser54:

I've had my XJ since it was new in 1998 and I am in total agreement with all you say. By the way, I'm not sucking up, It's just that I only have 5 posts and I'd like to get up to ten so I can see all the photos...<grin>

GRT
post #38 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 07:35 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grt View Post
Cruiser54:

I've had my XJ since it was new in 1998 and I am in total agreement with all you say. By the way, I'm not sucking up, It's just that I only have 5 posts and I'd like to get up to ten so I can see all the photos...<grin>

GRT
LOL. welcome to JF.

post #39 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 08:40 PM
60 Hotch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I went back and checked my 98 and 00 Cherokee manuals (published by Chrysler) and you guys were right. I am humbly corrected. Dextron III/Mercon is the correct fluid. I did use ATF+4 in my 98xj with an AW4 with over 125,000 mi. Threw away the SCREEN and put in a Wix filter. Used it for at least another 60,000 miles and had no problems what so ever till I got T boned 2 years ago and had to junk it (I’d still be driving it). I do agree with Cruiser54 about the dip stick tube they can be a real hassle to separate. I’ll be sure to check myself before I give my 2 cents.
Paul
post #40 of 40 Old 11-29-2019, 05:38 PM
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Chrysler started specing ATF+4 late in the AW4's lifecycle as their other vehicles with newer transmissions started using it, so that there was one less 'dying' fluid for their dealers needing to keep in stock. Whether it's fine for the AW4 is an ongoing debate, but Dex-III can still be found, and Dex-IV supersedes it and will work fine as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in