Trans fluid flush - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 40 Old 10-29-2019, 08:34 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

That's all fine and dandy for you, but not necessary for a new guy to go that extreme. Drain and fill works just fine even if you do it a time or two. Heck, you can SEE the condition of the fluid.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 Old 10-29-2019, 05:47 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I would like to add that the pretty red color of trans fluid is an additive that can wear out over time. Pretty red fluid is a great thing. Do not get me wrong. It indicates good maintenance and a trans that is most likely very healthy. Darker fluid can be the color additive just being worn out and does not necessarily mean the fluid is trashed. Do your changes more often if you have this condition to get it back to pretty red.

You have already changed your filter so you should be good to go if you have a solid trans that did not have excessive metal or debris in the pan. Another no go is fluid that smells like it has been on fire. Burnt stuff. No maintenance can overcome that. An easy way to continue to recycle and freshen your fluid is to periodically suck fluid up the dipstick tube and replenish. Rinse and repeat. Very easy to do but some fluid suckers are cost prohibitive also. I get that.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #18 of 40 Old 10-29-2019, 08:48 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with the cooling line flush. Mine had 150k and was pretty dirty. First I changed the filter and cleaned the pan then filled it. I disconnected the hose at the radiator and ran a hose into a big jug. I had someone run the engine while I filled the trans at the dipstick with fresh fluid. When it ran cherry red I had him shut it off. I would oil up that quick-connect and see if it will come apart. If it won't you can cut the line and later splice with a short barbed nipple and hose clamps. But you might as well fix it anyway.

post #19 of 40 Old 10-31-2019, 08:28 AM
60 Hotch

2012 KK Liberty 

There are some simple ways to do a trans service many are short cuts some are over done. The bottom line is take the time and do it right. Drain the pan change the filter. Use good quality filters like the Wix 58936 and ONLY use the correct fluid. The manufacturer specs ATF+4 transmission fluid. DO NOT use “universal” or Mercon Dextron III or any other fluid. Do not mix transmission fluid types. ATF+4 is formulated for these transmissions as well as other transmissions. If you want to separate the lines you can buy a quick connect release tool made by Lisle. #3700. Amazon for $7.82. I agree after you drain and change the filter you can drain the fluid again then refill. I’ve seen guys drop the pan remove the filter start the engine for like 3-4 seconds and pump out the rest of the fluid. That’s a crap shoot for an older unit with lots if milage. I wouldn’t recommend that. This is from over 40 professional years of experience. Just my 2 cents. BTY the only time you should mix fluids is if you’re stuck and you gotta get home!
Paul
post #20 of 40 Old 10-31-2019, 08:42 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The AW-4 has always been specified to use Dexron-III/Mercon. Some people have issues when using ATF+4, and some don't. Since Dex-III/Merc is inexpensive, specified in the Service Manual and the Owners Manual, and available everywhere, Dexron-III/Mercon is what should be used. Even my local grocery store always has 2 or 3 bottles of Dex-III/Merc.

Rusty quick disconnects like to break more than they like to disconnect.

ďWhen the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.Ē

- Benjamin Franklin
post #21 of 40 Old 11-01-2019, 01:51 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just looked at my cooler line connections. I have a brass threaded fitting that I just unscrewed and fitted a clear hose to. I believe the upper line is the return from the trans so that is the one you rig to run into a jug.
post #22 of 40 Old 11-01-2019, 06:18 PM
Camaro45th

I need to do this. I think Iíll bring it to the mechanic for it, I have no idea if my XJ ever had it done. Iím depending upon it for going to work, so i think itís worth doing.
post #23 of 40 Old 11-06-2019, 07:01 AM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro45th View Post
I need to do this. I think Iíll bring it to the mechanic for it, I have no idea if my XJ ever had it done. Iím depending upon it for going to work, so i think itís worth doing.
Pull the trans dip stick and check the condition of the fluid. Does it smell burnt and look brown or black?

If you don't know the history of your vehicle or know if maintenance has been done I recommend to everyone to go ahead and replace all the fluids. Cheap insurance and relatively easy things to do in a driveway. Then if you ever do run into an issue that warrants taking it to a mechanic you have dates and specs for the most recent fluid changes you can supply the mechanic.
Camaro45th likes this.
post #24 of 40 Old 11-06-2019, 07:03 AM
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
That's all fine and dandy for you, but not necessary for a new guy to go that extreme. Drain and fill works just fine even if you do it a time or two. Heck, you can SEE the condition of the fluid.
He said he wanted to open it up and flush it all out. I told him how to do it.
post #25 of 40 Old 11-07-2019, 01:22 PM
rotorgoat
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The lines don't hold much fluid. The trans cooler (if you have one) holds more and you can drain that. You can buy a set of special tools to remove the lines. They are plastic and inexpensive at your local auto supply. I bought a set to replace a leaking line. They are easy to use. The other advice to just do a multiple trans fluid change is probably easiest an just as effective.
post #26 of 40 Old 11-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Camaro45th

What is the likelihood that the filter needed to be changed?
post #27 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 02:58 PM
rotorgoat
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you don't know when the last time the filter was changed I'd recommend changing it and new fluid.

Here's a YouTube link to show you how if you want to do it yourself.
post #28 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 04:27 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
What is the likelihood that the filter needed to be changed?
NONE!!!!!

It was never intended to be a maintenance item. It's a frickin' metal screen.

ALL these transmissions require is drain and refill. The trans line flush is fun and all, until the lines don't go back together or leak afterwards cuz they're decades old.

Or, you can have a ton of fun getting that pan off which is part of the dipstick tube via a crusty old, as in decades, o-ring.

This trans was used in 5 ton dumptrucks in Japan and in Toyota Celica turbos for crying out loud.

If this trans was made by GM, Ford, or Chrysler, we wouldn't be driving these rigs now.

They'd all be in the junkyard like S-10 Blazers, Bronco IIs, and Dakotas of the same vintage.

Quit trying to treat this AW4 trans like the piece of **** it is not.
TheBoogieman likes this.

post #29 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Camaro45th

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
NONE!!!!!

It was never intended to be a maintenance item. It's a frickin' metal screen.

ALL these transmissions require is drain and refill. The trans line flush is fun and all, until the lines don't go back together or leak afterwards cuz they're decades old.

Or, you can have a ton of fun getting that pan off which is part of the dipstick tube via a crusty old, as in decades, o-ring.

This trans was used in 5 ton dumptrucks in Japan and in Toyota Celica turbos for crying out loud.

If this trans was made by GM, Ford, or Chrysler, we wouldn't be driving these rigs now.

They'd all be in the junkyard like S-10 Blazers, Bronco IIs, and Dakotas of the same vintage.

Quit trying to treat this AW4 trans like the piece of **** it is not.

Tell me how you really feel.
SmashDN likes this.
post #30 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 06:11 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Tell me how you really feel.
It's not about feelings....

It's about facts.

Forum members get advised to do things they don't need to do, spend money they might not have, experience frustration and loss of use of their Jeep. e

Drain and fill, drain and fill. Watch it come clean. Screen is never dirty anyway.
For the cost of a gallon of DEXRON and a drain plug washer, a trans funnel and a drain pan........
2oldjeeps and Camaro45th like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in