Tranfser case rebuild. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-19-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
J33p1975
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Tranfser case rebuild.

My 2000 xj 4.0 makes a noises, its most identifiable at about 20 miles an hour rolling to a red light for example. It sounds like somethings spinning in a circle as the noise is short and repeats over and over as if something is turning, and the slower i go the longer period in between the noise. Mechanic looked at it and said Transfer Case is making all kinds of noises and i need to take it to a transmission shop. They are not open on the weekend her, so i'm just thinking about options until monday.

I am thinking about rebuilding so because the jeep dealer wanted 1800 for a rebuild (i said give me worst case):
1) is this a decent kit or is there a better one i should consider:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NP-231-231J-...25.m3641.l6368

2)i was not there so only going by what he told me, is there a way for me to test the transfer case myself?

3) how hard is a rebuild? I have heard it's about an hour-ish to remove which means probably 4 hours for me. At that point is putting in the new parts doable for a noice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-19-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
J33p1975
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did find a used one available from a 96 Cherokee that was totaled. That's all i know at this point, i wonder if this one would be the same?
Where can i find the model number?
thanks.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-19-2015, 03:14 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The first thing to do is to get an actual diagnosis from a skilled and experienced drive line technician. A 4x4 shop may be a better choice than a transmission shop, especially one of those big name, charge you big bucks, franchise type shops. BTW the Dealership is the last place in the world you want to have work on your Jeeps. The round red and silver ID tag on the rear of case will tell you what you need to know.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 6 Old 12-19-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
J33p1975
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like i have a 231J. Agreed about the dealer, I only called them to get a baseline and then figured it should be at least half or more off that anywhere else I'll get a second opinion from a real place on Monday. Doing research i found a place called JB Conversions that is supposed to be pretty good at their rebuild kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The first thing to do is to get an actual diagnosis from a skilled and experienced drive line technician. A 4x4 shop may be a better choice than a transmission shop, especially one of those big name, charge you big bucks, franchise type shops. BTW the Dealership is the last place in the world you want to have work on your Jeeps. The round red and silver ID tag on the rear of case will tell you what you need to know.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-19-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
J33p1975
2000 XJ Cherokee 

just wondering, wouldn't my 4x4 be affected is the transfer case was in bad shape? My 4h and 4L seem to work fine, at least putting them in and testing them a little.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-19-2015, 04:35 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That would depend on what, if anything, is bad.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Tags
transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in