• 1 Post By riderboy1961
  • 2 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-06-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
grwgoldpro

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Torq Lunchbox Locker

99 Cherokee 4x4 Stock looking to install Torq Locker on Front, Rear or Both. Any advise or not a good idea. I use my Cherokee on dirt roads gold mining in AZ and CA. Will it help on dry washes and mountain terrain. I dont blaze my own trail and stay safe when alone in the field. Encounter deep sand and stream crossings on occasion. Im 73 so Im reserved on my driving style.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-07-2020, 04:58 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A rear traction device is the most common factory installed location, Positraction in Chevy and Trac Lok in Jeep. Rear traction devices can make the most of the weight transfer to the rear axle that occurs when climbing small obstacle, or any hills.

Front axle auto lockers have some really annoying and potentially unsafe behaviors when used on icy or snowy pavement. Almost all rear traction device have predicable behaviors under all conditions.

Somebody will post saying that a front axle locker "pulls" you up and over obstacles, but I have not found this to be the primary consideration or a major benefit for choosing a front axle locker instead of a rear axle locker. Suppose that a stock 4x4 with open differentials going up an obstacle gets 70% of it traction from the rear axle, and 30% from the front axle due to the shift in the center of gravity. I would rather improve the 70% of traction potential than improve the 30% of traction potential.

I installed a locker in the front axle of my 1984 CJ-7, and in the rear axle of my 2000 XJ Cherokee. The rear axle locker provided the best overall and most useful improvement in traction, on and off-road.
jeepguy03 and grwgoldpro like this.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 13 Old 04-07-2020, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
grwgoldpro

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Thank you for the informative and concise reply. Im old and dont want to get stuck in sand in the middle of the desert so I dont cross some washes for fear of getting stuck. I tow and drive my Jeep on paved roads and was looking for a little guidance and you provided it to me. Thanks again.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-07-2020, 11:13 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote from a very experienced JF hardcore wheeler.

"I ran a Powertrax No-Slip in the front of my TJ for 6-7 years and loved it. In 2wd on the street I couldn't even tell it was there, it was silent and unnoticeable. Other lunchbox lockers like the Aussie and Lockrite are equally well-behaved on the street in 2wd but they click/ratchet during turns. If you don't mind clicking/ratcheting the Aussie or Lockrite would be great choices. If you don't want to hear it click during turns, go for the No-Slip. Great lockers, all of them. Just don't put one into the rear axle where lunchbox lockers are not nearly so well-behaved."
I would not install a lunchbox locker into the rear axle even after its shafts were upgraded to make them strong enough. Lunchbox lockers are well behaved in the front axle but notoriously poorly behaved when in the rear axle. That is because the rear locker is constantly under load which is when an automatic locker has a hard time unlocking. A front automatic locker is not under load when in 2wd on the street so it's very well behaved on the street when you're in 2wd. For the front you don't need upgraded shafts to run a locker for up to 33" tires."
grwgoldpro likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 13 Old 04-07-2020, 11:37 AM
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwgoldpro View Post
Thank you for the informative and concise reply. Im old and dont want to get stuck in sand in the middle of the desert so I dont cross some washes for fear of getting stuck. I tow and drive my Jeep on paved roads and was looking for a little guidance and you provided it to me. Thanks again.

Another possible option for Driving in Sand...

Myself, Family and Friends all used to be big into Sand Quad Riding (In the 2000's) here in the Oregon Dunes and surrounding States Dunes. We would Air Down our Toyhaulers and 4x4 towing vehicles tires down to 20psi (sometimes 15psi with the 40 foot trailers and a Full Load of Water, Quads and Gear) and then we were able to tow 40' Trailers "anywhere" out in the Soft Sand (Sometimes Very soft sand) for Sand Camping. Not up or down Steep Hills, just fairly flat areas to camp in.

With a Low Tire Air Pressure, Tires will "float" on the Top part of the sand.
The opposite is also true, the more air pressure in the tires the more rigid the tire is and therefor the tire will Sink into the sand.

If your main concern is Sand... Another option would be to purchase a Small Air Compressor that has Jumper Cable type ends that will run off your jeeps battery, then when you need to air the tires back up... you can use that air compressor where ever you park. It takes a bit of time to air up as these are Small Air Compressors. I keep mine in my vehicle when ever I go to the Great Outdoors jut in case I need to air down for any Soft sand.
grwgoldpro likes this.

Thank You,
Bo
post #6 of 13 Old 04-07-2020, 11:39 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The choice of traction device and the axle to install it into also depends upon what, where, and how, one drives. My rear axle PowerTrax No-Slip behaves the almost exactly same as the Limited Slip it replaced. It easily and quickly unlocks for turns.

Some Rear Auto Lockers can have minor operational quirks on pavement, but simply adjusting your driving style solves them in most cases. The longer wheelbase of the XJ Cherokee compared to a 2 door Wrangler results in the Cherokee having fewer locker handling quirks and other odd locker behaviors.

For a Daily Driver a rear auto locker is fine, summer and winter. For a daily driver where 4x4 is used in winter weather, a front axle auto-locker is not fine and can border on unsafe, especially for drivers inexperienced with front axle auto locker behaviors. Some of the guys in my local Jeep club remove their front axle auto locker for winter driving and re-install it for the summer 4x4 events.

A rear auto locker installed into a Dana 35 rear axle increases somewhat the risk of breakage, but that too depends upon where and how the driver uses 4x4, and most importantly the gas pedal. Upgrading to a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle is inexpensive and simple, and solves the durability issues common to the Dana 35 rear axle.
grwgoldpro likes this.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 13 Old 04-07-2020, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
grwgoldpro

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Great info.

Gary
post #8 of 13 Old 04-07-2020, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
grwgoldpro

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Thank you.

Gary
post #9 of 13 Old 04-07-2020, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
grwgoldpro

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Interesting. Ill check it out.

Gary
post #10 of 13 Old 04-07-2020, 06:01 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The best part about a LunchBox Locker like Torq, LockRight, Aussie, No-Slip, (meaning an auto locker that only replaces the spider gears), is that if you do not like the performance, or the slight change in driving behavior, they are just as simple and just as easy to remove and return to an open differential, as they are to install.

The rear axle auto locker worked so well in my 2000, that I installed one in the front axle also.

Attached Images

grwgoldpro likes this.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #11 of 13 Old 04-08-2020, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
grwgoldpro

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
My 99 Cherokee came with an 8.25 Chysco rear end.

Gary
post #12 of 13 Old 04-09-2020, 12:18 PM
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The best part about a LunchBox Locker like Torq, LockRight, Aussie, No-Slip, (meaning an auto locker that only replaces the spider gears), is that if you do not like the performance, or the slight change in driving behavior, they are just as simple and just as easy to remove and return to an open differential, as they are to install.

The rear axle auto locker worked so well in my 2000, that I installed one in the front axle also.

I think I now Understand what "Lunch Box Locker" means.

Simple to Install? (Do the axles need to be pulled out a little to install one or no?)
grwgoldpro likes this.

Thank You,
Bo
post #13 of 13 Old 04-09-2020, 03:44 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Because the whole thing fits in your Lunchbox. Install Instructions are on-line and on YouTube. Basically you drain the differential, slid the axle shafts out a few inches, remove the spider gears, and install the locker, slid in the axle shafts back in, close the cover, and add fresh gear oil.
grwgoldpro and riderboy1961 like this.

- Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in