• 1 Post By cruiser54
  • 1 Post By ddawg16

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-31-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
cdwillis
2002 WJ 

Garage
Things to watch out for on 89 Renix Cherokee

There's a guy near here selling a 1989 Cherokee with the 4.0 for $1000. It's got 171k on the odonomter and it looks like it's in decent shape from the pics. Looks like a decent 20 foot paint job on it, but doesn't look like a total rust bucket.

Is there anything I need to look out for with these Renix era Cherokees? I read that it's got the closed cooling system, but I'm trying to do a little homework before I check it out.

Attached Thumbnails
38478687_426156981239489_3431186241050116096_n.jpg   38488633_426156927906161_8638991785764323328_n.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-01-2018, 09:11 PM
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I love those wheels.

The Renix era Cherokees are pretty reliable. The only major problem with them is nobody knows how to work on them any more.
They can develop a bunch of weird problems electrically that defy diagnostics. It usually turns out to be faulty ground wires.(battery to engine, battery to chassis, motor to chassis - all have to be good)

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice."
My other car is also a Jeep,.. and so is the other one,.. and that one too. How many do you own before it's "a herd" ?
post #3 of 9 Old 11-01-2018, 11:45 PM
un4gvn1
-N7PBJ

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbburg View Post
I love those wheels.

The Renix era Cherokees are pretty reliable. The only major problem with them is nobody knows how to work on them any more.
They can develop a bunch of weird problems electrically that defy diagnostics. It usually turns out to be faulty ground wires.(battery to engine, battery to chassis, motor to chassis - all have to be good)
Your best bet to keeping a Renix era XJ running (imho) is to do your own work. I had a high-idle-when-warm issue that had me tearing my hair for over a year. It forced me to research, learn, and ask for help when I got stumped. All good habits.

It runs great now, and I'm much more knowledgeable than I was. There are a few Renix Gurus around @Crusier54; is probably the best known, and has been a huge help to many, and to me personally.

If the rig is fairly rust-free, I wouldn't let the Renix system worry ya' too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcomm View Post
"Experience is what enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-02-2018, 03:46 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
I had an 89 with the Renix (Renault Bendix) system.

As noted above....ground issues. For me it was the door locks. They never seemed to have enough power to all unlock.

The biggest issue with the Renix is the special scanner it uses. It's NOT OBD I or II.

If it runs well, you should be fine.

At that price.....you could afford to get the FI and computer setup from a 94 or newer and convert it over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-02-2018, 06:51 AM
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

http://cruiser54.com/ for essentials on how to maintain a Renix.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-02-2018, 07:24 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
Begin by completing Tips 1,3,4, and 5.
un4gvn1 likes this.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #7 of 9 Old 11-02-2018, 12:02 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
Man.....where was that list when I had my 89?

A few of those I figured out on my own....

This was my baby......
Attached Images

cdwillis likes this.

post #8 of 9 Old 11-02-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
cdwillis
2002 WJ 

Garage
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll definitely go over those steps on Cruiser's site if I end up getting it. The owner said it has an exhaust leak and needs the brakes bled, but it runs pretty good. I'm sure there's more stuff to be maintenanced on a nearly 30 year old Jeep though.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-03-2018, 11:26 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwillis View Post
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll definitely go over those steps on Cruiser's site if I end up getting it. The owner said it has an exhaust leak and needs the brakes bled, but it runs pretty good. I'm sure there's more stuff to be maintenanced on a nearly 30 year old Jeep though.
Maintenance is key.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

Tags
1989 , cherokee , jeep , renix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in