SYE - What do I need? Can I do in Garage, no lift? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2020, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

SYE - What do I need? Can I do in Garage, no lift?

I know that a SYE is the "right" thing to do with my 3" lift. I have ridden for several years now with a crossmember drop and just accepted any vibrations as just the cost of lifting a vehicle and it being four wheel drive. Now I am thinking maybe those vibes can be lessened or all-together eliminated with a SYE and new rear driveshaft.

I'm a little hesitant to go tearing the transfer case out and tearing into it. I'm just not sure if my mechanicking skills are up to snuff or if I will have the patience to do it with regular home garage tools.

Somebody who has done a few of these give me a pep talk and some advice. I was thinking I could buy the parts and take it somewhere with a lift and the proper support for the trans and equipment for pressing out and pressing in the bearing sets and be better off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2020, 04:03 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A Heavy Duty SYE install can be done either with the t-case in the Jeep, or on a workbench. All you need is some sturdy jackstands. For a 1996-2001 t-case there is no need to press any bearings.

You will need a professional grade snap ring pliers.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 9 Old 06-26-2020, 12:53 PM
radventurer

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I'm a bit of a shoemaker and handled this task pretty easily. No need for a lift or a garage. Drain the fluid, remove the cross member and then follow directions on YouTube (Matt at Bleepin Jeep explains it well). The top trans bolts are a bit tricky to get to. I used a floppy headed ratchet. Helps to have another set of hands when dropping it out of the Jeep. No need to press in bearings unless you're overhauling the transfer case as well. It's a good time to change out your shift linkage if you haven't already done so.

Make sure you have RTV on hand and some fresh ATF. Use a cardboard map for bolts and parts if you're not confident in your ability to remember how everything goes back together.

Follow my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-27-2020, 03:48 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashDN View Post
I know that a SYE is the "right" thing to do with my 3" lift. I have ridden for several years now with a crossmember drop and just accepted any vibrations as just the cost of lifting a vehicle and it being four wheel drive. Now I am thinking maybe those vibes can be lessened or all-together eliminated with a SYE and new rear driveshaft.
You drove several years with vibes and your u-joints didn't explode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-01-2020, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
You drove several years with vibes and your u-joints didn't explode?
No. Crazy right? I rebuilt the rear shaft last year. The front shaft was brand new. Keep them greased and they have been fine.

I would like to tighten everything up though. It does tend to wander a bit and there are some vibrations but it is a lifted, solid axle, 4x4 that is almost 20 years old.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-02-2020, 09:19 AM
azhang253
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashDN View Post

I'm a little hesitant to go tearing the transfer case out and tearing into it. I'm just not sure if my mechanicking skills are up to snuff or if I will have the patience to do it with regular home garage tools.

Somebody who has done a few of these give me a pep talk and some advice. I was thinking I could buy the parts and take it somewhere with a lift and the proper support for the trans and equipment for pressing out and pressing in the bearing sets and be better off.
Last time I removed a 231, I just climbed jacked the jeep up a bit, climbed under it, unbolted it, and kind of bench pressed it off and back on. Drain the fluid first though, they're not really that heavy. I feel like this job would be way easier on a bench than under the jeep.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-02-2020, 10:05 AM
jim9006
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
The 231 is easy. Removing the flange of the old tail cone (so you can access the lock ring) is the hardest part. I used a dremal to make some slits and pried it off. Oh, and not "snap ring" pliers, use "lock ring" pliers. Trust me on this. Oh, and start with a 6* shim on the axle, assuming it really is a 3" lift.

Last edited by jim9006; 07-02-2020 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add info
post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2020, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
SmashDN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Guy had a 231 posted on the book of faces the other day for $600 with SYE installed and pics of it in process. Good deal to basically get plug and play (then do driveshaft and shims)? Sell my 231 for what you think?
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2020, 04:18 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pic-n-Pull NP-231 $ 80. HD SYE $200. $320 for two hours of work. Sign me up.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in