3Likes
  • 1 Post By 2oldjeeps
  • 1 Post By Mudovermakeup
  • 1 Post By Mudovermakeup

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-15-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Hoagy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Stock Radio/Speaker Trouble (not generic problem)

So here is the issue at hand. I'm currently working on some deferred maintenance problems and the drivers door speaker issue is one of the problems. In my case the positive (green) speaker wire was sheared off between the firewall and door, I've soldered in a new section of wire and I have conductivity between the speaker plug and the one behind the kickplate on both positive and negative wires. When I plug the speaker in sometimes it will work for a while but then the whole system shuts off like a fuse is blowing, sometimes it is "blown" right away when I turn the accessories back on after install, however I've checked every fuse and none are bad. Thinking it was a bad speaker I've put in a new working stock speaker from another jeep and that one turns the system off as well. By taking a cable off the battery and leaving it off for a long period of time (shortest I have found it to work is 3hrs) the radio will restart, with the speaker out.

Whats going on? Has anyone experienced this problem before or have any suggestions on where to turn next, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Have you replaced both speaker wires or just the one? Possible one is grounding. If Infinity system with amplifier under the rear seat....most amplifiers have a thermal and/or low voltage protection circuit that turns them off. Don't know if the stock one does.

Steiner
1998 XJ Classic driver
1998 XJ Sport spare parts supply
post #3 of 9 Old 02-15-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Hoagy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's not the Infinity system and I've only replaced one of the wires. I did leave a section of the green wire in the door because it was taped to the other wire so that was my next place to check, see if that's shorting the system. Was kinda hoping that someone would have an answer before I pulled all the wires out through the door to inspect

post #4 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 09:21 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You need to pull the door wire harness and inspect for damaged wires and chafed insulation. Failure of the driver door and tailgate wire harness is very common. The symptoms described are typical if there is a short circuit causing 12 volts positive to enter the speaker wires.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 03:58 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

you might unhook batt, check both speaker wires to ground. neither side +/- is grounded. look at wiring in haynes book. its good for that.
JWELK likes this.

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #6 of 9 Old 02-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Mudovermakeup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I actually just went through this, traced every single wire , fixed the broken ones, upgraded my speakers and the same thing would happen, so I took the radio out and bench tested it and it turned out to be the radio as well as the broken wires in the front doors.
2oldjeeps likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-19-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Hoagy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just getting back to the radio today; u-joints came in so I moved on to something that didn't want to make me drive it into a lake. Pulled the wires from the door and so far i'm thinking break in the harness that I can't find didn't see anything from the door to firewall. Gonna run new wires direct and see if that does the trick thought for a sec that it was broken wires I left in the door harness (green/black & green/red) but I think saw those were for the nonexistent infinity system. I had the radio tested around two years ago and was told that all the channels were working, how would I bench test it myself???
post #8 of 9 Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Hoagy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

*Edit* It was tested four years ago.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2019, 07:17 AM
Mudovermakeup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just took it out, and hooked it to a battery and the 4 replacement speakers, had and old antenna kicking around from a K-5 blazer and turned it on, worked until the heat sink thing on the radio got very hot then it just started crackling over the speakers and was dead. So I bought a JVC and stereo install kit and all is good. I traced all the wires and know where they go if you need help.
Hoagy likes this.

Tags
electrical issue , radio , speaker , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in