Steps to follow when taking the head off. 4.0L - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 04-09-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
JeepXJ2001
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Steps to follow when taking the head off. 4.0L

First thing first I washed the engine.

The Haynes manual is missing steps.

It starts with setting up the engine to top dead center and secondly its jumps to removing valve cover, the intake and the exhaust manifold and skip to tell us how to take out the injectors and all that...

Could you please tell me the steps I need to follow in order to take out the head.

personal record head gasket installation complete in 9 hours.

My only true friend JeepForum.com... Thank you !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
JeepXJ2001
2001 XJ Cherokee 

oh god I feel stupid.. Sorry for my stupid question...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-09-2009, 03:43 PM
danno627

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
i believe in the haynes manual if you go to the section for removing the manifolds it tells you how to do all that.

post #4 of 31 Old 04-09-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
JeepXJ2001
2001 XJ Cherokee 

will do that sir.

thanks

post #5 of 31 Old 04-09-2009, 05:16 PM
justanotherjpr

x2 it should have you skip the appropriate section for each part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
So do you actually hear your thoughts in your head or is it just sort of a dull roar before you smash your face into your keyboard and just submit whatever dumb **** ended up on the page?
post #6 of 31 Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 PM
wolfepack215

1987 XJ Cherokee 

The Haynes manual is missing steps?? You don't say?!! Not a fan of Haynes manuals for other than minor maintenance on the Jeep.

there are about (10) 13mm bolts on the top of the intake manifold. (4) hold down the fuel rail. also, on the front of the manifold there is a 13mm bolt that has a bracket that holds the vacuum harness to it, and also holds the fuel line in place. Remove your power steering pump and behind it there are two 14mm bolts that bolt into the manifold. also, at the back of the manifold is a bracket that retains the incoming fuel line. Im not sure with the late model Jeeps, the a/c bracket may be tied into the head as well. Since you are removing your head, check the freeze plugs, if they show signs of wear/corrosion, now is a good time to think about replacing them (with brass), the only one you cant get to is behind the block behind the bellhousing. Not sure how much this helps, but I hope I gave you some ideas...

post #7 of 31 Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 PM
justanotherjpr

I have a PDF of the FSM (Jeep's Factory Service Manual) for the 2000 Jeep XJ. It's 40MB. Shoot me a PM with an e-mail addy if you'd like it.

Edit: Also have complete parts lists, too.

Quote:
So do you actually hear your thoughts in your head or is it just sort of a dull roar before you smash your face into your keyboard and just submit whatever dumb **** ended up on the page?

Last edited by justanotherjpr; 04-09-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 31 Old 04-10-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
JeepXJ2001
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
I have a PDF of the FSM (Jeep's Factory Service Manual) for the 2000 Jeep XJ. It's 40MB. Shoot me a PM with an e-mail addy if you'd like it.

Edit: Also have complete parts lists, too.
Wow FSM that sounds super nice a dream come true... Thank you dude...

This is what I did yesterday. I took out the air intake and the throttle body, I separated the fuel line and took off the fuel rail and the injectors. I could not figure out how to take the wire harness off yet.

post #9 of 31 Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 AM
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJ2001 View Post
Wow FSM that sounds super nice a dream come true... Thank you dude...

This is what I did yesterday. I took out the air intake and the throttle body, I separated the fuel line and took off the fuel rail and the injectors. I could not figure out how to take the wire harness off yet.
Just let me know where you want it sent to

Quote:
post #10 of 31 Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
JeepXJ2001
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I broke the plastic tube I think its the vacuum thingy that is on the valve cover, the closer one to the back. The one that connects to the intake manifold Damn

I wonder if it is expensive?

post #11 of 31 Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 AM
jjg214
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJ2001 View Post
I broke the plastic tube I think its the vacuum thingy that is on the valve cover, the closer one to the back. The one that connects to the intake manifold Damn

I wonder if it is expensive?
it cost me 10 bucks at the dealership, i broke it when i changed my valve cover
post #12 of 31 Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 AM
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg214 View Post
it cost me 10 bucks at the dealership, i broke it when i changed my valve cover
Do you have a part #?

Quote:
post #13 of 31 Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
JeepXJ2001
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I got a FSM. This means I wont be asking as many questions. Thanks god...

post #14 of 31 Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
JeepXJ2001
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I am trying to remove the exhaust manifold and it took me more than one hour to take first bolt off. I am using a 15 mm 3/8 short socket. a few extentions. I am reaching the bolt from under the car. and thats the only way I can possibly reach that bolt.

I cant take the darn thing out? What should I do?? Should I just disconnect the exhaust and o2 sensor? and pull the whole thing out with the intake manifold??? I cant possibly think that I can torque this thing back

I am super frustrated after spending more 2 hours and a half under the car and only be able to take one bolt of.

Please help !!!

post #15 of 31 Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
justanotherjpr

You can disconnect the exhaust downpipe and leave the intake/exhaust manifolds installed on the head and then seperate them after you move the head out of the way into a better spot. You can also remove the motor mounts and carefully lift the motor using a jack and a block of wood to get more clearance.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in