1Likes
  • 1 Post By OCDXJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-10-2021, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Steering Issues need help please

Ok so history first all parts in last 8 months and 2000mi.

3" IRO short arm lift w/upper and lower adjustable control arms, Bilstein's, IRO flex joint UCA bushing replacement at axle, IRO OTK steering kit, Synergy ball joints, wheel bearing assembly, RC steering stabilizer, the toe is set at 1/16" right now I am going to try 1/8"

So after all new everything I have this steering issue that driving straight down the road it does fine but if I turn or move the steering wheel to far there is like a dead spot then it will grab and hold till corrected it does not return to straight on it's own I have adjusted the steering gear to remove some of the slop but am weary of going to far, I can't afford a new steering gear right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

01' XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstein's ,IRO OTKsteering, 245/70R16 NokianRotiiva AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-10-2021, 10:16 AM
superj

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Problem: Poor Steering Wheel Returnability

The phrase “poor returnability” is used to describes a condition in which the steering wheel returns slowly to the straight-ahead position after a turn. Typically, the wheel will return to center position once the driver releases it. If return is slow, or requires you to manually move the steering wheel back to center, you should focus on these areas:
  • Possible Cause #1: Friction in your steering system — steering gear, linkage, etc.
  • Possible Cause #2: Friction in suspension system requiring lubrication or replacement of components.
  • Possible Cause #3: Excessive negative camber.
  • Possible Cause #4: Issues within power steering system.

the xj is the only jeep left in the driveway
post #3 of 6 Old 06-10-2021, 11:28 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I do not see an adjustable track bar in the lift kit parts list, what was installed with the lift kit to address the need ?

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-10-2021, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I do not see an adjustable track bar in the lift kit parts list, what was installed with the lift kit to address the need ?
I forgot to mention that, but yes it has an adjustable track bar and for super-j's advice all parts are new and recently greased the only thing not new is power steering pump or gear.

I did have a thought on my 300mi. round trip to the doc's today (in other car) I had some issues with the alignment of the stabilizer after putting the new steering in it was hitting one of the other bars on full turn and all I did was readjust it so not to make contact, but if it got dented during contact that could be an issue will check it tomorrow.

01' XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstein's ,IRO OTKsteering, 245/70R16 NokianRotiiva AT
post #5 of 6 Old 06-11-2021, 10:31 AM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Check your caster. Toe issues will cause pulling. Camber issues cause uneven tire wear, and can cause pulling. Caster is the main adjustment that affects proper re-centering after a turn.

4-wheeling: because football, basketball, baseball, and golf only require one ball!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
post #6 of 6 Old 06-11-2021, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I got it right, the stabilizer did have some dents in it on the back side and it's in the trash now, steering gear is adjusted no more slop, tire pressure is at 30psi, toe is at 1/8" and test drive at 80MPH has no wander and rode nice no sketchy butt puckering.
Fourspeedman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in