stalling over bumps - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
coltar15
1989 XJ Cherokee 

stalling over bumps

So for those who might recall a few weeks ago I replaced the CPS and lost a socket in the bell housing. Good news is that after removing the starter and shield I was able to retrieve the socket. Bad news is that going over bumps, particularly when my right rear wheel looses road contact, the damn thing stalls.It will restart immediately though.The CPS is a NAPA part and the TPS is also a relatively new NAPA sensor. I've inspected the wiring harness the best I can and didn't see anything that would indicate a short. The IAC is clean, plugs are fresh , dizzy is almost new and cap/rotor are new. Anyone care to share some suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 07:44 PM
ou2mame

I would start jiggling wires while it's idling and see if you csn recreate it.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 07:49 PM
jordan96xj

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not falling for the "socket in the bell housing trick" again. Welcome back (I followed that post and contributed to it). If you feel alright with reaching over the running engine before it gets too hot, you can try to jiggle the new CPS to ensure that it does not have play in it. This is rare, but if there is play in it, it can cause strange issues like this (Missing, and stalls on bumps). I'm not very confident that would be the cause though. Unless you have any personal reason to believe that you may have failed to get it tightened down when re-installing. I'd be more apt to look for shorts like you are doing, or to consider some type of disruption in the fuel supply (which is going to be a heck of a chore to diagnose if it only happens while moving and going over bumps). Could you perhaps reproduce the issue predictably by jacking the rear end while running (in park or neutral) and then letting it down quickly? If so, it might give you a more repeatable way to test some things.

Things I keep around that help fix Jeeps:
AeroKroil and Fluid Film
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool and Torque Pro OBD2 App for Android
Etekcity MSR-P600 Digital Multimeter
Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch + MAP Gas
1/2 inch sockets, Breaker, Cheater Pipe, and BFH

post #4 of 14 Old 06-15-2016, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
coltar15
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks jordan96xj. I have checked the cps to insure its tight and the wires aren't rubbing. I have no problem getting my hands in the engine compartment while running or hot. This condition was what prompted the changing of the CPS to start with. Years ago I had a similar issue and resolved it by replacing the ECM, however back then when it stalled I couldn't get a restart. Other then this stall issue it idles smooth and accelerates quickly. I had considered putting the rear up on stands to see how it reacts. We have rain coming in so any work will have to wait a day or so
post #5 of 14 Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Fuel pump ground is in the left rear quarter area behind the spare tire.....

Consider doing this:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=249

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-15-2016, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
coltar15
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you cruiser54, that's already been done. The fuel pump wiring was redone almost 15 years ago and the extra ground was added. I did get a few minutes this morning before it started to rain again and unplugged every connector in the engine compartment, sprayed them with contact cleaner and re-installed them. Let's see if any of that helps
post #7 of 14 Old 06-15-2016, 08:47 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

See if the injector wiring harness is chafing on the rearmost driver's side head stud.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
coltar15
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Went over the fuel injector harness and it seems to be in pretty good shape. Giggled each injector and wires in order while the jeep was running and nothing happened. Since unplugging and re-connecting things the other day it hasn't stalled but then I haven't driven it much.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-16-2016, 03:29 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltar15 View Post
Went over the fuel injector harness and it seems to be in pretty good shape. Giggled each injector and wires in order while the jeep was running and nothing happened. Since unplugging and re-connecting things the other day it hasn't stalled but then I haven't driven it much.
Hmmmmm. Go drive it.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-17-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
coltar15
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So once again I listened to cruiser54 and went to run errands this morning. Drove over speed bumps, railroad tracks and washboard roads. The jeep didn't stall once. As a matter of fact it was running like a raped ape. Go figure. I may have figured it out though. Jeeps are sensitive and since this one and I have been together for 27 years, I may have upset it when I started looking at new Cherokees. We had a long talk and I assured it that when the time comes I'll find it a good home with someone who is young enough and cares enough to deal with all it's little problems, feed it well and give it a bath when needed. For now we have a mutual agreement that I will continue to care for it as it has cared for me.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-17-2016, 10:48 AM
jordan96xj

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ah yes. Change is difficult for XJs. Heck, they kept wearing the same styles for 17 years regardless of what was going on around them. Next time you check out another vehicle, at least put a cover on the old one. Its only right.

Things I keep around that help fix Jeeps:
AeroKroil and Fluid Film
BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool and Torque Pro OBD2 App for Android
Etekcity MSR-P600 Digital Multimeter
Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch + MAP Gas
1/2 inch sockets, Breaker, Cheater Pipe, and BFH
post #12 of 14 Old 06-17-2016, 02:03 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltar15 View Post
So once again I listened to cruiser54 and went to run errands this morning. Drove over speed bumps, railroad tracks and washboard roads. The jeep didn't stall once. As a matter of fact it was running like a raped ape. Go figure. I may have figured it out though. Jeeps are sensitive and since this one and I have been together for 27 years, I may have upset it when I started looking at new Cherokees. We had a long talk and I assured it that when the time comes I'll find it a good home with someone who is young enough and cares enough to deal with all it's little problems, feed it well and give it a bath when needed. For now we have a mutual agreement that I will continue to care for it as it has cared for me.
You made my day bud!!!

Connections connections connections.................

You'll never know which one it was, but do you care? LOL.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-07-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
coltar15
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The brat is back! Hotter then hell and it just has to start stalling again. No bumps, just driving along and zap. Restarted every time but then proceeded to stall when I eased on the gas. Took a while to make it home and we had yet another long talk. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and replace the TPS to start as that's usually what resolves the issue and have also considered that years back I had a stalling issue and it was the ICM. As the brat and I will soon part ways( 45 days or less) I'm trying to make it happy without having to buy it another diamond ring.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-08-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
coltar15
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So it appears my old friend wants a diamond after all. Installed a new TPS and ICM this morning, started right up, pulled out of my parking lot and it ran fine. Got a mile up the road and it stalled again. This time I was a block from a trusted repair shop. OKAY guys, find the issues and fix it! I'll post the results when I know more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in