Stalling...catastrophic? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-05-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
bfrat
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Xj Stalling...catastrophic?

So it's got cold here in Iowa and seems to have an affect on my '97 Cherokee Sport. First, while in reverse pulling into the garage on a sleight upward grade it stalled out. Not sure why but it happened when I took my foot off the accelerator while lining it up in the mirrors. Two days later, Jeep started fine, nothing unusual. Ran some errands, had 2 beer at a pub. Driving home notice the CHECK GAUGES came on and battery gauge flatlined while at a red light, but Jeep ran fine. So, I put into neutral and pumped the accelerator a few times and it seemed the Jeep was misfiring or about to stall so I put into drive and successfully got home. Searching Forum for info but I'm not sure where to go with this, seems it could be electrical or fuel problem. Any insight on where to start would be great. Jeep is all stock, 4 L. I've included some repairs that have been done in the recent few years.
11/12/10 replace valve cover gasket
2/28/11 fuel line leak/repair
6/23/11 catalytic converter, oil sens asc w/ gauge
6/29/11 replaced O2 sensor
7/15/11 power steer pump/res.
2/20/12 oil change
3/28/13 spark plugs, oil change
1/31/13 new battery under 3yr warranty
3/17/14 replace battery term/cables
3/22/14 replace new battery under 3 yr war
6/22/15 replace alternator
7/16/15 muffler, rotor, dist cap, wires, oil change
9/14/15 diag/repair starter wire
2/22/16 replace up/lwr rad hoses
3/30/16 replace h2o pump gask, serp belt, hose clamps

Frat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-05-2017, 08:08 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

What codes did you pull? Do you know how to? There is a reason the CEL came on.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2017, 04:56 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The symptoms describe low battery voltage from a faulty battery/alternator or poor connections.

If the dashboard volt gauge shows 9 volts you very likely have an alternator issue. If the dashboard volt gauge shows 19 volts you very likely have a connectivity issue such as, corroded/damaged/loose connections or internally corroded cables.

Find a parts store or repair shop that will test the battery and alternator inside a test machine using a simulated work load. Hand held testers are not accurate, and usually pass marginal batteries and alternators. Just because you installed something recently does not mean it is still good. "Rebuilt" parts are often rebuilt poorly with low quality parts.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
bfrat
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Alternator was purchased New, not a refurbished one. Battery seems to new as well to be the issue and I'd begin to think it has more to do with connections and corrosion since its 20 years old. . I've not gone to have codes pulled yet but will on a warmer day. Other than the direct connections to the battery, what other connections should I look at to clean. It almost stalled again after I was out shopping and it was sitting in the cold evening. Seems to be amplified issue when it's been out in the cold.

Thanks all.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-13-2017, 12:25 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'd trust a refurbished Denso alt a hell of a lot more than a new chinese reproduction, but I'd suspect the battery or the connections first in this case. Clean up your grounds (including the ones behind the driver's side quarter panel plastic in the trunk) and clean or replace your battery terminals and see what it does. If you suspect fuel, O'reilly rents a fuel pressure gauge that works pretty well.

Have you put a multimeter across the battery terminals to get voltage while it's both off and running yet? If your alt and battery is good it should show a little over 12 while off, and pretty close to 14 while on. Due to the low current from the meter that won't reveal a bad connection (by comparing terminal vs post readings) in most cases but it's a reasonably good indicator of a shot alt or battery, if not of those on the way out. Another decent test is to look for a major voltage drop when accessory draw is involved, like having the headlights and interior lights all on.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
electrical , reverse , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in