Some specific questions for a noob - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Calopolus
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Some specific questions for a noob

Hope internet lingo (see:Noob) is commonplace here. Here it goes.

I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee XJ. Love this Jeep. Has 177K on it. Had it in the shop for bearing seals (rear) and just asked for a once over. Also wanted valve cover gaskets done. They said my Jeep is on its way out. Another 30K would be the life expectancy I am told. Nay, I say! I am going to drive this to 300K, I can feel it! Anyhow, I am here to ask some detailed questions.

I have the AW4 trans if I remember right. Automatic 4 speed. Works very well, except when I have cruse on it will downshift to around 4K on the tach for any hill steep enough to start a moped without peddling. Now, I want a trans cooler. I have settled on a B&M #70268. It has a bypass to prevent undercooling, very cool. I cant seem to find out what fittings I should get and where to mount. The where to mount part is not a big deal. I like spending an hour or better mocking things up and feeling like I am doing something different than the masses. You would understand its a Jeep thing. I have been reading a ton of Mean Max's stuff, and will be adjusting my downshift cable. But a parts list would be great for the line adapters. On my old Chevy 700's I just cut those mothers and worm clamp the line but not my baby, she will not be degraded with such hack job's.

Any common problems I might not know about? I have used Google please don't flame my post with search first messages. With Jeeps a lot of problems seem to be year/ part combination specific. Google gives too many results for every year Jeeps were ever made and floods my screen with Yahoo answers like "Does my Jeep have a transmission?'' I am not going to look down on anyone, just trying to cut bullies off at the pass.

What is that power/comfort switch for? I see my trans is electronically controlled, so I assume it does nothing more than control shift points. So, if it shifts later and harder, will using that power mode save my transmission stress? Like a factory shift kit (however lame of a "shift kit" it may be)

You may be picking up on my fear of automatic transmissions. I HATE them. I have had 3 replaced on the last 5 vehicles I owned. And the 2 before that went to the junk yard because of transmission problems. I drove a 5 speed Ford explorer with second gear completely gone for 2 years. Than gave it to the wife's uncle for awhile. I wish my Jeep was standard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Kevin108

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pics of my trans cooler setup at https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...-build-867428/

Worrying about clamping the hoses to the hard line is unfounded. You have a 20-year-old XJ with 200,000 miles on it. If you start to baby it now, it'll fall all to pieces!

The AW4s we have are almost as bulletproof as our 4.0s. For what it's worth, in later years, the power/comfort switch was eliminated and the transmissions operate only in power mode.

My build thread has pics again. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/kevin108s-2000-xj-build-867428/
post #3 of 9 Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 AM
theducksguts

1998 XJ Cherokee 

91 is a decent year. You have the 4.0 HO with OBD1. Rust will be your biggest enemy in making it to 300K. Rust and general maintenance. If you can do a lot of the work yourself you will save enough money to make going to 300K worthwhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my

post #4 of 9 Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 AM
theducksguts

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calopolus View Post
What is that power/comfort switch for? I see my trans is electronically controlled, so I assume it does nothing more than control shift points. So, if it shifts later and harder, will using that power mode save my transmission stress? Like a factory shift kit (however lame of a "shift kit" it may be)

You may be picking up on my fear of automatic transmissions. I HATE them. I have had 3 replaced on the last 5 vehicles I owned. And the 2 before that went to the junk yard because of transmission problems. I drove a 5 speed Ford explorer with second gear completely gone for 2 years. Than gave it to the wife's uncle for awhile. I wish my Jeep was standard.
The AW4 is a pretty good transmission. My only grip with it is that it generates a lot of heat. An external transmission cooler is a great low buck investment.

The Power/Comfort switch basically changes your shift points slightly and nothing else. I had that "feature" on my 88 XJ and it is pretty much worthless.

As for the AW4. If it goes out they are cheap to replace and you can find a lot of them at the bone yards already pulled. If you want a standard you can swap in an AX-15 and slave up a clutch if you want. People have done the swaps before, just search.

Check out my
post #5 of 9 Old 12-24-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Calopolus
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you all so much for your help! Yes, rust is already laying claim to her. Maybe I'll try my hand at body work, but here in Illinois bondo only lasts a couple years at absolute best if done by a rookie and driver in the winter.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-24-2010, 01:30 PM
jtcnj

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I did the 70268, and guage. AW4 is a good auto, but it heat control is a definite high priority issue. I don't know about the older model years, but I think they all have under engineered engine cooling system issues as well.

heres mine:

"Lay Down Sally" Silverstone Metallic 2001 xj sport 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 mostly stock.

"Dubyuh" or "Blue Bayou": Patriot Blue 2001 Up-Country WJ Limited 4.7L V8 Quadra Drive: for now known as "Al-Dente" after my wife's "mod".

New Addition 12/2011: "Pearl" Forest Green Pearlcoat 1999 xj SE 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 mostly stock for now.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Ronald Wilson Reagan
post #7 of 9 Old 12-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Kevin108

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Great job on that mount! That's way better than cramming an ice pick between the fins like I did!

My build thread has pics again. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/kevin108s-2000-xj-build-867428/
post #8 of 9 Old 12-25-2010, 09:34 AM
rugsucka
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

what cha got going on with that pvc get up on the front bumper?
post #9 of 9 Old 12-25-2010, 11:51 AM
jtcnj

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
what cha got going on with that pvc get up on the front bumper?
Its just generally Bada** threatening , intimidating, and evil.

But mostly its for fishing rods.

"Lay Down Sally" Silverstone Metallic 2001 xj sport 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 mostly stock.

"Dubyuh" or "Blue Bayou": Patriot Blue 2001 Up-Country WJ Limited 4.7L V8 Quadra Drive: for now known as "Al-Dente" after my wife's "mod".

New Addition 12/2011: "Pearl" Forest Green Pearlcoat 1999 xj SE 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 mostly stock for now.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Ronald Wilson Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in