Some paint chips and scrapes. Flame Red. Best ways to fix/cover? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-23-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
SKELITOR117
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Some paint chips and scrapes. Flame Red. Best ways to fix/cover?

I've got a 2000 XJ In Flame red and there are allot of small chips and scratches. I'd like to put a little paint on them, so that they don't stick out as much. I know there are allot of different sprays and Fingernail polish type applications. What do you suggest for some light touch up? Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
100_2919.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

With exact color touch up paint I build up enough layers (letting each application dry) till it's higher than the original surface then WET sand (using a 3M rubber board) with 600/1000/2000 grit emery/buff with polishing compound/wax. Done right the repair is almost invisible, providing the original paint isn't faded.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 AM
kenC
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i use duplicolor touch up,looks good from a few feet away

post #4 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 PM
buildin1XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenC View Post
i use duplicolor touch up,looks good from a few feet away
Use the Dupli-Color pen/brush fill in small chips and scratches with the pen end and use the brush end for larger chips.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 AM
RagBag
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If I were you, Ide refinish the bumpers and trim first. Roached out bumpers stick out like a ....

Chances make champions
post #6 of 11 Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Paradise XJ

1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagBag View Post
If I were you, Ide refinish the bumpers and trim first. Roached out bumpers stick out like a ....
I have to agree with this ^^. If you re-black, paint, re-finish the plastic...that baby will look sweet. Nobody will even notice a paint chip here or there.

Several good products out there. From several paints to Armor-all type stuff. I've always used Krylon Fusion for things from my canoes to my flares to plastic parts. I use the "satin" or matte" finish...the gloss is pretty dang shiny.

1990 XJ Laredo - White & Chrome
1988 MJ Pioneer - Metallic Green and Black
post #7 of 11 Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM
ComancheKid45
1988 MJ Comanche 

www.automotivetouchup.com

You can get excact color matched paint in many forms from them. I acctually spray painted my hood on my Flame red XJ with great results compared to all the factory peeling clear coat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

96 XJ Country
post #8 of 11 Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
SKELITOR117
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagBag View Post
Haha. I know what you mean. That pic was taken the day after I bought it. I've fixed the nasty plastic. It looks fantastic now, which is Why I'm Looking to touch up the paint.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 AM
mbardeen
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I bought the PR4 (Flame Red) Chrysler touch-up paint for my '95 XJ. It was too orange and very evident where I used it. I had better luck with using the duplicolor spray after building up the chips and scratches with the touch-up, and then a good wet sand with 1500 grit and a buff after. There's still a color difference, but it's not as noticeable.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Tom95YJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Leave it, Chicks Dig Body Damage !

'89 YJ The Smurf Yjoty 2016

'99 XJ Black Betty
post #11 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM
MrSundays

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Honestly. When I first got my 2000 (which is also flame red, working on getting a new color matched grille) the very first thing I did was buy some trim and bumper paint from Autozone, yeah I know, but for $9 you wont get a better appearance from anything. Like new. And as far as your paint goes, dont bother. Far less noticeable and Im sure it will get worse as you wheel.

SOLD- '13 JKR with lots of goodies
Current- '98 TJ Sahara: build coming in October

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in